Cork u20 Hurling 2023

Christ, that O Sullivan from Ballinhassig is a serious operator. Really top class defender and has plenty hurling. Unfortunately don’t see him as a senior prospect. Couldn’t see him matching up physically with a senior forward but could be wrong
Serious hurler but his use of the ball when under pressure is suspect, gave away a few scores in the second half last night with misplaced hand passes and flick passes. If he was a few inches taller he’d be a cert to progress to Senior

Serious hurler but his use of the ball when under pressure is suspect, gave away a few scores in the second half last night with misplaced hand passes and flick passes. If he was a few inches taller he’d be a cert to progress to Senior
Noel Connors was 5'8".

Christ, that O Sullivan from Ballinhassig is a serious operator. Really top class defender and has plenty hurling. Unfortunately don’t see him as a senior prospect. Couldn’t see him matching up physically with a senior forward but could be wrong
Of all the defenders used in this U20 campaign I'd have him as the best prospect to step up to senior, Downey aside.
When you say 'matching up physically', if you mean in terms of S&C bear in mind that he's only nineteen and eligible to play at this level for another year. I'd say there are very few current intercounty corner-backs, or players in almost any position, who were fully developed in terms of S&C at that age.
If you meant he's too short, sure, but I doubt Mikey Butler has many inches on him. Always a danger that a taller forward will out-field him, but with experience and greater strength there are ways defenders can mitigate this.

Noel Connors was 5'8".
Genuine question, what height is Darragh?
And Tommy Walsh not much bigger, but when your assessment of hurling boils down to intensity and physicality it’s hard to step away from it. Every player who plays u20 has the potential to play senior, of all the differentials, height most be at the bottom of the scale
So would I (Ben O Connor aside obviously)

And Tommy Walsh not much bigger, but when your assessment of hurling boils down to intensity and physicality it’s hard to step away from it. Every player who plays u20 has the potential to play senior, of all the differentials, height most be at the bottom of the scale
If you actually read my post properly instead of banging on about intensity and physicality you might learn something but I won’t be holding my breath

Galway knocked out of this competition by Offaly this afternoon. 3.20 to 2.17. Big shock. Thought Galway were favourites for the All Ireland. Great to see Offaly on the way back.
Offaly have a fine side, well worth the win,

Incidentally, two of their fowards including ace sharpshooter Adam Screeny had to be taken off with suspected concussion from two very dangerous tackles. Add that to Ben O Connors sending off last night and it’s easy to see we are on a slippery slope and unless action is taken urgently someone is going to get very seriously injured

Last edited:
Offaly have a fine side, well worth the win,

Incidentally, two of their fowards including ace sharpshooter had to be taken off with suspected concussion from two very dangerous tackles. Add that to Ben O Connors sending off last night and it’s easy to see we are on a slippery slope and unless action is taken urgently someone is going to get very seriously injured
We are not far off a tipping point I think.

It's not all that long ago that Dessie Fitz from Charleville was paralysed after a big hit in a club game. It was completely accidental.

But big hits are now part and parcel of the game and every game now there is something head high going on. Whip lash and concussion are no joke. Ben O Connor was a bit reckless last night but what he did is no worse then challenges that are going on repeatedly at senior inter county in every game.

I believe the hurling faction in the GAA are been negligent in their policing of all head high tackles. We need to take the new rugby approach of zero tolerance. Possibly introduce citing as well. One of these days a hurler is going to get carted off the field on national television in a neck brace after a frontal charge or late high hit. There'll be much hand wringing, liveline will be hopping, primetime will discuss it, column after column will be written, it won't be a good look for the sport or the association. Eventually something will be done but it could be too late for the guy that gets hurt.

At the moment you can't even discuss it because you are told you are either anti Limerick as they are currently involved in head high controversies every 2cd or 3rd game or that its a man's game and just get on with it.

Stitches, broken nose's, broken teeth the odd reckless tip in the head from a stray hurley are all occupational hazards when hurling but these frontal charges and head high hits, late hits, blind sided hits are becoming far too frequent and need to be stamped out.

We are not far off a tipping point I think.

It's not all that long ago that Dessie Fitz from Charleville was paralysed after a big hit in a club game. It was completely accidental.

But big hits are now part and parcel of the game and every game now there is something head high going on. Whip lash and concussion are no joke. Ben O Connor was a bit reckless last night but what he did is no worse then challenges that are going on repeatedly at senior inter county in every game.

I believe the hurling faction in the GAA are been negligent in their policing of all head high tackles. We need to take the new rugby approach of zero tolerance. Possibly introduce citing as well. One of these days a hurler is going to get carted off the field on national television in a neck brace after a frontal charge or late high hit. There'll be much hand wringing, liveline will be hopping, primetime will discuss it, column after column will be written, it won't be a good look for the sport or the association. Eventually something will be done but it could be too late for the guy that gets hurt.

At the moment you can't even discuss it because you are told you are either anti Limerick as they are currently involved in head high controversies every 2cd or 3rd game or that its a man's game and just get on with it.

Stitches, broken nose's, broken teeth the odd reckless tip in the head from a stray hurley are all occupational hazards when hurling but these frontal charges and head high hits, late hits, blind sided hits are becoming far too frequent and need to be stamped out.
Agree 100%

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Darren K

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼