Cork u20 Hurling 2023

Hayes was very prominent all through R&B - would have been another classic Kyle Hayes goal if he didn’t pass to Gillane who missed a sitter. He was distributing great ball into Gillane and Flanagan.

Roche was hooked after just after half time (37th minute) iirc - and Hayes coninued to dominate

No shame in saying he struggled against KH.
Totally disagree with this. I was sitting in line with hayse for the first half. KH was fumbling the ball got turned over a few times. He gave away a few frees.

Precisely, reminded me of Waterford v Limerick semi final a couple of years back. Waterford threw everything and the kitchen sink at Limerick but were dead as doornails after the water break.

I've heard the 'it would be worse if Downey had let him stroll past' line several times in the past few days. It's specious - it's not as though the only options avaible to him were (a) rugby tackle, or (b) usher the Offaly player through on goal. For starters, Downey shouldn't have been rounded so easily, and even then he could have chased back and looked to hook the player.
And if he misses the hook it's a goal, ffs it's an AI final on the line.

2014-16 were littered with goals where players walked the ball into our goal. The Galway exit 2015 and Austin Gleeson debut stick in my mind. We craved a startegic foul. We demanded it. We were berated on "social media" for not doing it....We had no underage wins ....We had no Centre Back.. Dr Con often looked like the best option off the bench...The only chip on the shoulder was a lofted lift at a penalty.

Now we have changed all that and we have to listen to Duignan, Fleury from "my favourite other hurling county ".. Derek Barret came of the bench in the 99 semi final and in the last schemozzle actually sat on an Offfaly attacker before the ref blew the final whistle... Martin Hanamy "a teak tough corner back" bitched and moaned afterwards......

Twiceasnice

It's not a one eyed view, it's a view of the bigger picture. There were 2 fouls in the same move, one could have resulted in a red card for Shane Kingston and the other one was committed by Adam Screeney when he charged into Darragh O'Sullivan which was a free to Darragh, watch O'Sullivan's legs before he was hit and knocked over, they never move and were firmly on the ground unlike Screeney's. The discussion on the possible straight red card wasn't an issue with you, your main issue was that Kingston should have been on a yellow from an earlier incident and I totally disagree. Watch the incident again and tell me why that incident merited a yellow?

In the context of the way the GAA allow and seem to wish hurling to be played, the refs reffing, the media and pundits lauding physicality above the rules and many supporters doing likewise and it leading to incidents like Ronan Maher's attempted decapitation on Darragh Fitzgibbon and Kyle Hayes' strike with the hurley on the same player, how about Adam English's strike of the hurley to the private body parts of Micheal Mullins in the Gaelic Grounds? Therefore there is ample reasoning why Shane Kingston should not have been sent off last Sunday, he goes to shoulder an opponent, mistimes and catches Egan too high in the head which is a far less occurrence than the three aforementioned incidents. In the context of the way hurling is played there would have been 'unfairness' if Shane Kingston was sent off last Sunday, why make a scapegoat of one U-20 player in the early stages of a final when other players are ignored for doing worse well into the game? Your concern about an 'opponents health' has to be across the board and it is also the responsibility of the GAA, it's the same Sport of Hurling at all different levels so then the same rules should apply at all those levels.

As a Clare supporter you appear to be also interested on Tipp and KK forums, I'm not and really I'm not concerned whether you are or not also. However regarding you stating Cork are the best U-20 team in the country you also stated Ben O'Connor should have been sent off v Clare and Cork should have been out of the championship. I'll remind you that Cork defeated Clare twice and Clare were in a great position in more ways than one but failed to win like the Cork minor footballers today. So based on what I've stated above and to quote yourself I believe you need to try harder on looking at what is actually going on and you are being hypothetical on what might have happened if Kingston was sent off but you had a different view if Ben O'Connor was sent off v Clare.

I'm not interested in comparing Offaly with Clare or Limerick but I saw all of them playing and Clare certainly didn't have a forward in Screeney's league, maybe Pat Fitzgerald of Waterford and Cork's Jack Leahy come close. I believe both Clare and Limerick would have defeated Offaly with quite a bit to spare but also believe Cork had near their best team only in the AI final. However the mind-set I was more concerned with was the decision to play Darragh O'Sullivan on Adam Screeney which the management failed to do but changed a quarter into the game with Darragh taking that marking role and Eoin Downey playing deep. Note as good Screeney is he failed to score from play in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼