Cork Minor Hurling 2024

Both Munster teams beaten in preliminary QFs today and KK who lost twice in Leinster beat a Dublin team that didn't turn up. And Limerick who were the favourites before the season completely collapsed. Even for minors you couldn't pick a form line in this competition at all.

U16 coach is Fergal McCormack and by all accounts is highly thought of by the players and moves up to minor for 2025.
How are next year's minors supposedly rated? Had heard nearly 12 months ago that this year's would struggle and alas that was the case. But have heard next years should be very handy, is that correct?

Anybody who knows anything about the last couple of years with this group knows the whole thing was a shambles. No point in pretending otherwise.
From talking to parents involved that's a bit harsh. They were competitive enough u15 and u16. The one criticism I hear again and again though is that he got fixed on who his best players were, and what their positions were, very far out (as in at u15). I was told of several kids who were backs in JMs set up, and never really tried anywhere else, who were cut loose ultimately and then looked good in the (admittedly lower standard) Celtic Challenge as forwards. But no one doubts his commitment tbf and I'd say he is genuinely devastated the way it worked out, as are the kids themselves and the parents. It's some time commitment by them all.

He shouldn't get u20s though IMHO, time for someone new to look at this age group afresh in a couple of years time.

From talking to parents involved that's a bit harsh. They were competitive enough u15 and u16. The one criticism I hear again and again though is that he got fixed on who his best players were, and what their positions were, very far out (as in at u15). I was told of several kids who were backs in JMs set up, and never really tried anywhere else, who were cut loose ultimately and then looked good in the (admittedly lower standard) Celtic Challenge as forwards. But no one doubts his commitment tbf and I'd say he is genuinely devastated the way it worked out, as are the kids themselves and the parents. It's some time commitment by them all.

He shouldn't get u20s though IMHO, time for someone new to look at this age group afresh in a couple of years time.
You have summed it up very well. From the very outset he latched onto the City U15 team, and in effect ignored the other regional teams. Parents were very critical, even those with lads still on panel for u17. Commitment was unwavering I will say that for him, and he put some effort into it but once he had his favourites that was it. We all have opinions but some of the team selections really were bewildering at u15 and u16. People had very little say, it was the JM way and that was it. He should be genuinely thanked for his efforts but left nowhere near underage teams going forward. New focus and new ideas needed with a clean slate.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Murry
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Nov 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Longlegs (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:10pm

More events ▼