Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Brass tacks lads. If we lose on Sunday is that absolutely it…over? Anyway of winning the remaining games and squeezing in 3rd?
Since when has a 4 game RR been over BEFORE all teams have yet to play 2 games?

Waterford will not play at the weekend so it won't be possible to see the full impact of any potential Cork loss to Clare.

That's even before you start looking at the outcome of the Limerick v Tipp game and it's impact on possible scenarios.

Nothing will be set in stone on Sunday, but it'll be some Everest to win our remaing 2 if we do lose, plus we would more than likely be relying on other results to go our way.

It's not for the faint hearted, Limerick were on a thread til the last minutes of their game v us last year, Tipp lost out on a "certain" MF.

Excellent synopsis of last week from Michael Vurney & Shane Stapleton (go to 43 mins), they're miles ahead of the rest. Stapleton (very anti-Cork usually) felt Cork were robbed interestingly. They don't pull the punches re the 3 lads in the forward line. 10 shots from the the trio in the first half - 9 wides and 1 point. It killed us.

I think our best side right now to expose Clare on Sunday doesn't have any of that trio. I think PR will pick 2 of them this evening. I'd say there is serious sway held by Harnedy and Hoggie in this set-up. What seem like obvious selections to all of us watching on become complicated in that environment. Lehane should have come off before Twomey; Hoggie should have come off before Harnedy.

The weakness for Clare is in the full back line. Cleary is just a wrestler. Hogan is excellent, but whether it's Leen or Hayes or Flanagan in the other corner it's an opportunity for Cork. Hogan did very well on Robbie in the league; Cleary will likely just try and grapple Connolly for as long as he can get away with it. We have really take advantage of that final match-up though - that's where 2 or 3 goals can come from.

Conlon is slowing down also so straight down the middle with Fitzgibbon / TOM is also an opportunity. We have to have our big lads on their wing forwards; probably R Downey on Fitzgerald and E Downey on Duggan. SOD on SOD. Millerick on Kelly, although Kelly will probably start at 11 and try and pull Joyce out of position.

So what's the right approach up front? I've been critical of him in the past but JOC has been looking really sharp, he's a confidence player and built for fast ground. He would be a curve ball that would cause huge problems for Clare. Darragh has to go to the half forward line - we will lose the physical battle in midfield otherwise, and he'd cause Conlon a headache in terms of how much Conlon could protect the full back line. [By right, Ben Cunningham should be starting for us at this stage - he's a top class forward and better than Twomey, Harnedy etc. in that half forward line no question - but that just ain't happening is it]

I'd go with

PC
SOD v SOD--------Cahalane v Rogers------Millerick v McCarthy
ED v Duggan-------Joyce v Kelly----------R Downey v Fitzgerald

Coleman v Morey----TOM v Malone

Dalton v McInerney-----Fitz v Conlon-------ROF v Ryan
JOC v Hogan----------Connolly v Cleary----Barrett v Flanagan

I expect the mgmt team will only make 2 changes vs last Sunday:
-> ED and Dalton in; Twomey and Lehane out
-> Darragh to 11; Coleman to 9

Funny how the narrative is the we don't have the players. Killenny haven't had the players either for a few years. They've still made 3 AI finals in the last 5 years.
hmmm... they've a top top class keeper, full back line, centre forward, full forward. They've had the edge on Galway for a few years. They might not have the most talented squad but they've enough proven high quality lads alright. And of course, you're right, if you're inferring their attitude + mgmt approach is superior

They used say the same about Cork.
Aka it's horseshit.
It's their clubs, their board and high standards.
We let ours slip years ago across the board.
They also have management teams that have no time for sentiment. I'm beginning to think PR is another nice guy like his predecessor, simply not cut out for the cut and thrust of senior hurling.

They also have management teams that have no time for sentiment. I'm beginning to think PR is another nice guy like his predecessor, simply not cut out for the cut and thrust of senior hurling.
Maybe so but the rot in Cork dates back to Frank and his system of fostering club yes men for favours. Right back to the 70s when we were top of the roll of honour.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

Open Mic Night

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼