Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Gutted, beaten by a better team on the day, hard to see us recovering but seriously hope I’m wrong, a win next week, as big an ask as it is, blows the whole thing open.

Changes needed but not sure what the answers are either, feel caught in an awkward rut at the moment.

Leadership isn’t saying what you want to happen and passing it off as what you’ll think will happen. We can say this player and that player should or should not have played but we are kidding ourselves if we think there are 3/4 players out there who would change the fortunes of this team. When the likes of Joyce struggle then it’s not your day. It was a bad day on the pitch and off it.

Sometimes you have to accept that the better team won on the day. The better team won today.
Think you slightly misunderstood my point Cranky I meant leadership from Pat Ryan.
He doesn’t need to be as animated as Davey Fitz but yanno like look a bit fired up and so on.

Absolutely Waterford were the better team, we were out hurled and out worked by a team who wanted it more plain and simple.
The managers job is then to motivate, encourage, change tactics and make subs and he didn’t do much of any today. Changed tactics wrong (such as moving TOC back) and leaving players on the field when they weren’t at the races. That’s not an insult to players, they can have off days which happens. It’s up the manager to change it then.

Monumental game now next week. Waterford were written off a bit by most people and for good reason, they have been very poor the last two years, but I think everyone expected them to take points at some stage and fair play to them they were well worth their win. Cork were very unfortunate to have both marginal refereeing calls go against them, especially Cahalane but I think Waterford probably would have found a way anyway.

Quite depressing from a Cork perspective. A very conservative selection and seeing the same or similar failings from the same players year after year is disheartening. Horgan is undroppable until Dalton is available on account of his freetaking but put simply no serious contender in hurling this year is going to be lining out with three forwards in their 30s.

The sideline have massive calls to make because another defeat next sunday and they probably won't be there next year and that's the reality of it. Wouldn't be writing the year off yet though. I don't rate Clare as highly as many do on here at all and they have as many question marks over them as we do if not more. A few tweaks in the selection and it's a very winnable game. There are going to be a lot of twists in Munster this year.

Twomey started in full forward line . He was half forward in league . They haven’t a clue what they’re doing . The coach involved to hasn’t a clue and isn’t even from Cork I don’t think. I’d rather have went out and got beat with a young team than get beat with the older players they keep going to . Hoggie 36 this year ffs

Some very well put points in that and a previous post by you. The delusion in Cork is though the roof in some quarters. I know you touched the fact that some supporters aren't aware of the standards in the Cork County Championship, but I can recall being at a Barrs match last year and a fella behind me complaining about Cork not being physical enough, who then proceeded to scream 'Ah Ref' every time there was a hard shoulder put on a Barrs player, and this is something I'm constantly seeing for supporters in club games. That game I referred to was Barrs and Kanturk in Fermoy where the Barrs scored 16 points from frees.

So there's one huge problem in Cork that's been evident for a very long time. Another thing here is when any person uses Limerick as an example of something and fellas are straight onto them with the "can we stop fawning over Limerick, we are Cork" bullshit. Like we're setting the bar for standards, we've had one decent year this decade and that ended in a mauling in an All Ireland final, fellas need to get off the cool aid here and start waking up to how bad things really are.
Cork club hurling championship is a glorified fairy dance for the last 15/20 years. No physicality at all because the city powers that be in the board brought in that reffing to deal with the rural clubs getting stronger and muscling out the city clubs.
A member of my own family who didn’t miss a county final for over 40 years has stopped going to senior club hurling matches in the last 8-9 years. The last little All Ireland we attended together was embarrassing and the final straw for him.

Was at game today and all I can say is we looked a poorly coached side, a nervous side and lacking a lot of control. Wouldn't pick out any player for criticism as they will know themselves how off the mark they were and not up to championship levels. Best players in my opinion up front, Barrett & Connolly and in defence ...struggling a bit on that, Joyce tried hard as did Millerick, O'Donohue. Subs didn't change things much which kinda says it seem a collective off day.
Pat Ryan and crew need to pull something out of the bag, a few changes definitely and instructions to some of our forwards that when your teammate is on a free run to goal GIVE him the shagging ball.
Unfortunately if we continue like today it's fairly obvious we don't go anywhere this year (again)

100% on our Manager , coach and selectors .

Our GK is one of the best , most effective and efficient strikers in the County . But his restart stats today were only 50% . What is he being asked to do ? What is the plan ? The strategy. I saw two puck outs to Sean Twomey today and for both of them , the target was static . Now , there is receiver culpability here but what is worked on in training ? Collins was on his 45 on the sideline at one break in play asking questions of his sideline !

Jack O'Conner was subbed in on the 72nd minute ! What the f**k was expected of him ?

Too slow to make changes . Not brave enough to make the right changes. Played like a group of individuals rather than as a team .

Positives ... Barrett , Connolly , Sean OD and Fitzy . Fantastic to see Coleman back

We were sh*t. So we're they . Just less sh*t than we were .

Bring on Clare . It's knockout now ,let's see what our boys are made of

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼