Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Could do with Dalton at least as an option. This is a massive game for us, no pressure on Waterford everyone assumes they are useless and that we should win. We are somewhat settled, I wouldn't go as far as saying we are settled. On picking the team, a lot of it picks itself or should that read a l lot of the players will be playing.
Those giving out about the older generation playing in the forward line, Hayes aside not many more made themselves undroppable.
A win of any sort will set us up nicely, a good win will set things up even better and we will head on with confidence.

Yeah look we all have opinions but watching games back. Lehane didn’t puck a ball against Limerick and TOM whom started was in the same category. Ethan Twomey was outstanding when he came on. I think we will see different things this year with Joyce sitting more in the pocket and we have to cut out the chances we give away as gifts with stupid puck outs and passes. I am just in the alright mood this season and I hope that it’s just me because I want us to let loose with our players and not be the same auld same. Bit of excitement if we went long with Connolly and Hayes inside just something different that excites the crowd and more importantly the players. I just hopefully wondering what we will do. I am still trying to be optimistic finny but please show me how.
fin, tim started like a house on fire against Limerick but he gradually faded as the game went on

Conor has been a great servant to Cork hurling so it’s not nice seeing him constantly picked out as the issue but i genuinely can’t see the value in starting him at 11, a roving 15 possibly but Shane Barrett seems to have that nailed down but then again the word I’m hearing is Conor will start at 11.

We will have a serious lack of workrate in our foward line if Conor, Harnedy and Hoggie all start, and I think they will. Add in Fitzy if he starts at 9, and again that looks likely, and Mark starting in defence, which is a strong possibility and we will have serious physicality issues in the middle 8

I get all the above are fantastic hurlers but who’s going to win the rucks and tackle like demons?

Go back to the 15 who started against Limerick with one or two adjustments and we won’t be far off. Pick what I think they will pick and we might get over Waterford, I’d be concerned we wouldn’t though, but what’s coming down the tracks with Clare and Limerick and we would get eaten alive

Come on Pat, be brave

You'd surely have to consider that Pat's choices for the front 6 are now going to be someway limited or influenced by 1. current injury list 2. whether or not players returning from injury are going to be round robin intensity ready.
Those in the first category include Dalton and Kingston, those in the second category include Twomey, ROF.
And I'm just assuming that they are actually fit.

Watching back the Clare game from last year.

It was clear that the Cork forwards did very poorly in their matchups compared to the Clare forwards. Hoggie poor in the first half but improved in the second. Lehane poor all round. Harnedy did well in the first half. Conor Cahalane poor other than the goal. Luke Meade worked hard but had little impact. Declan Dalton played reasonably well.

At the other end, Peter Duggan caused havoc under the high ball along with Tony Kelly. We definitely need Mellerick and Eoin Downey on those two. It was amazing that Cork made the game so close by the end considering.

I think there is massive room for improvement particularly with the matchups and I think Connolly would present a big challenge for the Clare backs. The question is, will the management learn those lessons and play the right players. This is why I'm a bit nervous about the idea of Lehane being picked again along with Harnedy and Hoggie.
didn't watch the game back but recall Damian having an absolute blinder against Duggan?

Conor has been a great servant to Cork hurling so it’s not nice seeing him constantly picked out as the issue but i genuinely can’t see the value in starting him at 11, a roving 15 possibly but Shane Barrett seems to have that nailed down but then again the word I’m hearing is Conor will start at 11.
This is it.. in the end these guys are amateurs who put their lives on hold to entertain the likes of us, so i always try to temper criticism.. but on the other hand we all have sat there and seen what has happened previously so its so frustrating to witness the same mistake possibly being made again when it all feels so inevitable. And in fairness to Conor, if he is some kind of foil, or not really in PR's plans then what was the point of playing him so regularly to date?

One possible train of thought was PR giving him every opportunity and then planned on using him off the bench. The problem with this is twofold - injuries to the alternative forwards, and if we are in a battle with Clare, Limerick or whoever and theres 15-20 left.. are you really going to throw CL into a lions den and expect him to throw a few points over?

Might be no harm to let Pat and the lads select the team before it is being critiqued.
You wish, Dukey boy!
Can see the hawks lining up, ready to hit the roof if, SHOCK HORROR, the 3 hurlers of the apocalypse are named in the front 6 🤣🤣

Personally I trust that PR and Co understand the pros and cons of choices they'll need to make & will make the calls accordingly. I'm 100% onboard with that.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cornelius Patrick O' Sullivan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

17th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼