Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I know we beat nothing in the league but I’m more confident now after watching the Cork Limerick game from last year! If we pick up where we left off, we will beat Waterford. Plus Joyce is a year stronger and Connolly is a huge addition. I also think Eoin Downey is an improvement on Niall O Leary. The fact Tim O Mahony is likely to start on the bench shows we’ve a better depth this year. Excited!

This will be down to the leaders in the group to drill it home to the rest, the likes of Hoggy, Damien and Seamus will have a huge role this week in preparing the younger fellas
Hoggy should be a leader but very little from his general play and body language indicates he is.

I've seen Harnedy encouraging other players, well done if they get a score/free, the usual slap on the back etc

Hoggie may be doing this at training, during games but its very hard to spot, indicating the opposite.

Just a further note - I'm a hoggie fan. I dont really care if he is a leader or not, as long as he performs. I'm just questioning is he an actual leader in this team and setting the tone or someone who isnt.

Last edited:
What is the definition of a leader?
Just my thoughts on it is someone stepping up and leading from the front in unison with others.
Hoggie has lead and acted in winning us games. Harnedy has also. The time when a team becomes a major contender is when the leadership comes from the younger players.
Darragh Coleman O Connell the Downey brothers so many are available to become leaders and none more so than our captain SOD .
Let’s be honest with each other on this. With what we have achieved with the young teams over the last few years we should have leaders on this team and not looking to older players to always show up.
Bottom line is we need to grind out a win in a tough place to play to prove to ourselves more than anyone else that we are contenders.
No excuses about injuries or anything else.
Can we win games we should be winning ?

What is the definition of a leader?
Just my thoughts on it is someone stepping up and leading from the front in unison with others.
Hoggie has lead and acted in winning us games. Harnedy has also.
You are right fin, you can lead on the pitch by your actions or you can lead off the pitch through using your experience to guide younger fellas. The latter is what I was talking about happening for the next week.
The time when a team becomes a major contender is when the leadership comes from the younger players.
Darragh Coleman O Connell the Downey brothers so many are available to become leaders and none more so than our captain SOD .
I am on record as saying the likes of Fitzy, Coleman, RDowney, Sean Tim and ROFlynn need to step up and lead the team on the pitch. They are not younger fellas. We cannot continue to rely on Hoggy and Seamus to drag us through tight games. When these players begin to lead on the pitch we will start seeing real success
Let’s be honest with each other on this. With what we have achieved with the young teams over the last few years we should have leaders on this team and not looking to older players to always show up.
Anyone picked to play championship with Cork should be able to lead by example but it is too much to be expecting relatively new players like Tommy and EDowney to become team leaders, they need to bed down their positions first . The only exception to that is Joyce who already is one of the group leaders. The younger fellas have the right mentality there’s no doubt about that and when they grow we will return to the top of the tree
Bottom line is we need to grind out a win in a tough place to play to prove to ourselves more than anyone else that we are contenders.
No excuses about injuries or anything else.
Can we win games we should be winning ?
Can we win games we should be winning is a great way of putting it fin. It’s time for us to stand up and show we won’t back down from anyone. I’m looking for 3 wins from the 4 matches, lose in waterford and that becomes very difficult

Last edited:
A week to go and things are very quiet on here! Are we a little apprehensive? We have every reason to be
Waterford may not have a great championship record over the past few years but they are always a team that cause us problems with their running game and unorthodox tactics
On paper we are better than them but games are not won on paper. Waterford will try keep things tight and make it into a battle. Going on past spring visits the pitch won’t be in great nick either which will suit them down to the ground
We have to be ready for them and meet fire with fire and pick our team accordingly
Presuming everyone bar Kingston is fit, this is the team I would start
PCollins
EDowney, DCahalane, SODonoghue
GMillerick CJoyce RDowney
TOConnell TOMahony
DDalton DFitzgibbon STwomey
SBarrett AConnolly PHorgan
MColeman, ROFlynn, BHayes, SHarnedy all to come on and do damage in the second half. None of them dropped, championship is now a 20 man game
PS I don’t see the selectors going with my team seeing as they threw it back in my face when I handed it to them 🤣. in fact I think they will start at least one player I haven’t even named above, and another 4 or 5 could easily come on, that’s how strong we are now and whatever team they pick let’s all get behind them
The championship nerves are building
Dalton picked up a hamstring injury in Galway

Nice to see will have a few more Cork folk travelling this year to Waterford and not like 2 years ago where we were significantly outnumbered.

Cant wait for it to all kick off now. Munster hurling is hard beat

Was chatting to a mad Waterford hurling man during the week and he was saying the running game Davy is trying to play with them wont suit playing in Walsh Park . They need the space. I am a bit worried about this match , Waterford were very unlikely last year against Limerick in their first match. Pat Ryan and selectors need to pick a balanced team and play fellas in their positions. We also need to play fast good ball into our forwards . If we do that we'll win but I worry we go down the path of over playing it out of back line and we lose it and get frustrated then. Cork need to step up now and get ruthless . We have an All Ireland to win

The public in Waterford are not behind the team. And when Aussie Gleeson walked away you knew things were bad.
I expect Waterford to lose all four games and the balls for the top 3 between the other teams

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Joachim Cooder

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼