Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Corkfan82

It's more than tactictal, it is pure filth and there shouldn't be any place in the game for this crap. The real problem lies in championship when there won't be any cards branded for same as in the league and the GAA hierarchy won't bat an eye lid once the taxpayer and JP's money keeps rolling in, by the fall we'll be hearing what a great spectacle with a packed house was the AI final, sure to be sure!(n)
Come Cship the key buzzword of "letting the game flow" will be out in force, which is great, except for all the hurley striking and head shots.

With my Cork hat on, we just have to physically match them. They will take our heads off. Fitz took 2 heavy head shots last year against tipp and lim I think. So we have to accept it and follow suit, return fire with fire.

Come Cship the key buzzword of "letting the game flow" will be out in force, which is great, except for all the hurley striking and head shots.

With my Cork hat on, we just have to physically match them. They will take our heads off. Fitz took 2 heavy head shots last year against tipp and lim I think. So we have to accept it and follow suit, return fire with fire.
The problem with that is we don't get away with it like others, we seem to be reffed differently and will be blown and carded much more regularly. Always been the case. I remember the scandalous treatment dished out to Setanta who used to be blown at the first sign of retaliation, the soft Cahalane sending off against Waterford which I believe cost us an AI. The after time equaliser in 13.Even this year the amount of ridiculously soft frees given against us is mind-boggling. This is not an anti referee rant, I just think we are generally seen as arrogant and a bit too big for our boots so it might be a good idea to take us down a peg. The fact is the AI's we've won we've had to be much better than the rest and are more probable to lose a tight battle than win one as we are very unlikely to receive any favour from the middle.Of course I could be wrong, I hope I am, although I think I'm not.

I don’t expect us to dish it out. We don’t have the size of Limerick or Clare. However, what we do need to be able to do is take the hits. Physicality is as much about taking hits as dishing them out.

Agree but fire with fire has to be a mentality from the entire set-up and management should be key but they weren't last year and there isn't any sign they're going to be any different this year. There wasn't a dickiebird out of Pat Ryan regarding the two assaults on Fitzy you refer, I was sitting very close to the Maher assault and I couldn't believe passive reaction from the Cork dugout. When management send players into the trenches then they have to back them up, that's not in Cork's DNA under successive managements.

I don’t expect us to dish it out. We don’t have the size of Limerick or Clare. However, what we do need to be able to do is take the hits. Physicality is as much about taking hits as dishing them out.
I don't believe it's anything to do with size, this Cork team are far from small and it's about the fight in the dog but carried through collectively which has not been the case for a long time. Cork need to be smarter if they need anything beyond staying together in heated exchanges.

Also it's not usually down to hits, mauling is in the game now and although it's against the rules it is condoned by hierarchy and referees. It is horrible to watch and needs to be eradicated from the game to get hurling back to a sense of normality not to mind for it to prosper.

Agree but fire with fire has to be a mentality from the entire set-up and management should be key but they weren't last year and there isn't any sign they're going to be any different this year. There wasn't a dickiebird out of Pat Ryan regarding the two assaults on Fitzy you refer, I was sitting very close to the Maher assault and I couldn't believe passive reaction from the Cork dugout. When management send players into the trenches then they have to back them up, that's not in Cork's DNA under successive managements.
That was a purposeful targeted head shot by Maher, not sure Fitzy fully recovered from that last season. As far as I recall only Donal Og called it for what it was, shocking incident, unpunished, not surprised.

Not so sure about that. Maybe don't have any player the size of Gearoid Hegarty or Davy Fitzgerald but its noticeable how big, strong and physical the Cork team has become over the last 12 to 18 months. Some lads have clearly put on another 2 or 3kg of muscle, whether or not that improves our hurling remains to be seen but I certainly don't expect Limerick or Clare to bully us this year.

The 99 Munster Final was a break free from the bullying of the previous few years and it was a mindset not a size issue. Also from reading Brian Corcorans book it was a team and not a management decision culture wise. From the parade onwards they would not be bullied having been laughed at the previous year by the "dont send your under 21s again" mixed in with the "Clare shout". Hope this is the year for that but it needs Senior Player attitude from the middle generation lads and then bring the youngers with them.

Not so sure about that. Maybe don't have any player the size of Gearoid Hegarty or Davy Fitzgerald but its noticeable how big, strong and physical the Cork team has become over the last 12 to 18 months. Some lads have clearly put on another 2 or 3kg of muscle, whether or not that improves our hurling remains to be seen but I certainly don't expect Limerick or Clare to bully us this year.
I hope you’re right but my fear is we lack leaders. D Cahalane is one but no offence to him at all we are not going to win an All Ireland with him in the team.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Murphy & Declan Sinnott
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

23rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Sweet East (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼