Cork Hurlers - Part 2

It was not great value for my long trip to Ennis yesterday but then I would have been very foolish to have expected a lot more on the 4th of February with an experimental team playing. Apart from midfield I had no problem with the team picked and still don't.

I think two complete novices in midfield in Ennis against more experienced opponents was not the right call.

Clare deserved their win, they were faster , crisper than Cork and they took their scores well. I do think that their neck high tackles would have resulted in spells in the sin bin in rugby never mind hurling.

I think the Cork team had four certain championship starters, O Donoghue, Joyce, Horgan and ROF , although the latter still has quite some way to go to get back to his best.
There may be a couple of others but probably no more that that.

I thought Niall O Leary struggled throughout and will be under huge pressure this year.
I thought O Connell was excellent but am not convinced he is a wing back, I would like to see him get a game in midfield.
I thought Eoin Roche had a fine game, steady throughout, no mistakes, tight on his man and gave nothing away easily. I think on the performance he will push for a corner back slot.
Unlike a lot on here I was very pleased with Sean Twomey. He worked hard, won a lot of possession , made a goal through excellent play and was available throughout. H did drift out of the game for a while and his decisions were not always right but that will improve with games. He is still only 23 and has not played at this level as much as he should because of injury.

I thought Shane Kingston had a good second half in paricular won a lot of ball but on the day was left down by his shooting, if his accuracy had been better he would have been praised by all imo.

I thought Lehane struggled throughout and just could not get into game in any meaningful way. A couple of nice pieces of skill is not close enough to a worthwhile contribution over seventy minutes.
I though Brian Hayes was living on scraps and would judge him at all based on yesterday.
Shane Barrett certainly made a contribution when he came on and I know I keep beating his drum but I think he will play a big part this year. Luke Meade also did very well in his quiet way.

Play Brian Roche with an experienced midfielder or Eoin Carey with an experienced player but two novices didn't work .
I certainly would not discount either.

We must remember that R Downey , Millerick, Coleman, Cahalane still must come back.

TOM , Ethan Twomey, Fitzgibbon, Meade will all be pushing for midfield.

Dalton, Harnedy, Barrett, Connolly will all be hoping to start in games as well.
The competition will be intense.

Far too early to be upset over a game in early February.

We may still not be good enough when everyone is available but yesterday is no guide.

On reflection I’m not overly concerned with the loss but as I said yesterday I am very concerned about our performance and tactics

This craic of 10 outfield players inside our own 65 for our puckouts is a recipe for disaster, I’m hoping it was just something we wanted to try yesterday and will never see again.

Our team play and pattern of play was almost non existent. What is our plan? Does it change from week to week depending on who’s playing or do we pick a game plan and then pick players to suit it? At the moment it’s impossible to know what we are trying to do.

We are indecisive on the ball and we are overplaying it when we should be hitting good fast ball into our full foward line. Ah but what about the sweeper you say? There was no sweeper yesterday except when we decided not to push up. Scrap this 5 man foward line and push up on the opposition and fight like terriers for every ball

It’s time to move foward and concentrate on a strong performance of fast aggressive hurling against Kilkenny but we need to get ourselves right and get the mix in our team right

My team for Kilkenny (presuming those not named on the panel yesterday won’t be ready)

Briain Saunderson
Conor O Callaghan Eoin Roche Sean O Donoghue
Eoin Downey Ciaran Joyce Ger Millerick
Tommy O Connell Luke Meade
Brian Roche Conor Lehane Sean Twomey
Robbie O Flynn Patrick Horgan Shane Barrett

Last edited:
Just a few thoughts on yesterday, firstly I think Clare really wanted to win this game, their attitude and tackling were pretty ferocious with almost a championship ferocity, they won't be much more intense come April. There is huge improvement to come from our lads in both tactics and aggressiveness and I fully expect to see a big difference come the championship. No doubt E.Roche,Colin O Brien, Eoin Carey, Brian Hayes, M.Mullins will have learned a lot from yesterday and will begin to understand what's required, if not the will slowly be shed from the panel. But these lads must be given a fair chance to prove themselves. I remember Shamie's first game for Cork back in the day in PUR, I thought he was hopeless, how wrong was I?. I really hope that the management and players don't read this forum as I think they would be pretty disappointed with the thoughts and opinions of some of the people on here who they sacrifice so much to try and please. It's probably time now to support more and criticise less. I expect to be in Croke Park with this team, nothing that happened yesterday has changed that. Corcaigh Abu.

Just a few thoughts on yesterday, firstly I think Clare really wanted to win this game, their attitude and tackling were pretty ferocious with almost a championship ferocity, they won't be much more intense come April. There is huge improvement to come from our lads in both tactics and aggressiveness and I fully expect to see a big difference come the championship. No doubt E.Roche,Colin O Brien, Eoin Carey, Brian Hayes, M.Mullins will have learned a lot from yesterday and will begin to understand what's required, if not the will slowly be shed from the panel. But these lads must be given a fair chance to prove themselves. I remember Shamie's first game for Cork back in the day in PUR, I thought he was hopeless, how wrong was I?. I really hope that the management and players don't read this forum as I think they would be pretty disappointed with the thoughts and opinions of some of the people on here who they sacrifice so much to try and please. It's probably time now to support more and criticise less. I expect to be in Croke Park with this team, nothing that happened yesterday has changed that. Corcaigh Abu.
It's a discussion forum. Cork had a terrible game. The experienced lads didn't perform bar Joyce and O Donoghue.
The game does matter because we don't want our U21s from the last few years playing in Division 2 against Westmeath(no disrespect intended)

Yes it's early days but I see nothing wrong with saying what was wrong on a discussion forum. I never once criticised any of our newer players but I may have been rough with others.
All I ever want to see is our lads giving absolute 100% and fighting like dogs for every ball and when I see that I'm happy.

Is this the year we broke our record?
Longest period without a hurling All Ireland in our entire history?

It's a discussion forum. Cork had a terrible game. The experienced lads didn't perform bar Joyce and O Donoghue.
The game does matter because we don't want our U21s from the last few years playing in Division 2 against Westmeath(no disrespect intended)

Yes it's early days but I see nothing wrong with saying what was wrong on a discussion forum. I never once criticised any of our newer players but I may have been rough with others.
All I ever want to see is our lads giving absolute 100% and fighting like dogs for every ball and when I see that I'm happy.

Is this the year we broke our record?
Longest period without a hurling All Ireland in our entire history?
Absolutely agree with all that, I too will expect every man Jack of these boys giving every last ounce of effort, but later in the year when everything is at stake, not now in February when training is at it's peak, we have already lost DD to an injury, and the entire championship last year was ruined by injuries. Yesterday wasn't the worst start we ever had but some of the reviews were I feel over the top. That's all I'm trying to put across. I'm all for discussion, I just wish some of it was a bit more supportive of the boys and sideline.

Anyone who says yesterday doesn’t matter is delusional. The exact same flaws showed up yesterday that have been there for last while. We had very poor workrate and if players haven’t that trait in them then PR won’t instill it. We were bullied. We need to hit the ground hard Saturday nite and if it means fielding our strongest team then that’s what we have to do. Division 2 next yr would be a glorified co-op store competition & no preparation for c/ship.

On reflection I’m not overly concerned with the loss but as I said yesterday I am very concerned about our performance and tactics

This craic of 10 outfield players inside our own 65 for our puckouts is a recipe for disaster, I’m hoping it was just something we wanted to try yesterday and will never see again.

Our team play and pattern of play was almost non existent. What is our plan? Does it change from week to week depending on who’s playing or do we pick a game plan and then pick players to suit it? At the moment it’s impossible to know what we are trying to do.

We are indecisive on the ball and we are overplaying it when we should be hitting good fast ball into our full foward line. Ah but what about the sweeper you say? There was no sweeper yesterday except when we decided not to push up. Scrap this 5 man foward line and push up on the opposition and fight like terriers for every ball

It’s time to move foward and concentrate on a strong performance of fast aggressive hurling against Kilkenny but we need to get ourselves right and get the mix in our team right

My team for Kilkenny (presuming those not named on the panel yesterday won’t be ready)

Briain Saunderson
Conor O Callaghan Eoin Roche Sean O Donoghue
Eoin Downey Ciaran Joyce Ger Millerick
Tommy O Connell Luke Meade
Brian Roche Conor Lehane Sean Twomey
Robbie O Flynn Patrick Horgan Shane Barrett
👍decent team

Really helpful that the sergeant majors on here are judge and jury of whether lads are giving "absolute 100% and fighting like dogs".
I'd say PR and his team would notice more too if they were sat on the arses at home watching on TG4, or in some corner of the stand.
So important to keep them on alert, real risk that they'll all start slacking off without some rough words and being called out on here for every single imagined offence that contributes to "record years without a trophy":ROFLMAO:

I am assuming none of them would darken the door of this place, because unlike us they've better and more constructive ways to contribute something positive to the cause of Cork hurling.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼