Cork Hurlers - Part 2

He has always got a hard time.
Kieran Kingston should never have gone back I feel.
He had his chance. Going back just gave people a stick to beat Shane with
Not in my case, we all want Kingston to play well. If he gets the ball in his hand, he is excellent, repeat excellent.

The problem is getting the ball into his fecking hand...he will try one handed pickups and miss, he rarely wins a 50 50 ball on the ground. As for catching a high ball, not a chance, repeat not a chance.

These are valid issues with Kingston. Hence first sub plan when the game opens up in the last 20.

We’ve loads of the same type of player. Jackie Tyrrel asked during the week where is Cork’s Cathal O’Neill? We don’t have one.
A bit of that is down to how we play, Hayes didn't see any high ball yesterday, Kieran Kingston crazily dropped a needed Dalton saying he didn't suit the game plan. Has the 2004/05 wins done this damage that we are stuck in such a rut, if only any Keeper since Cusack could only drill a ball lowish like an arrow 70 yards opposed to having to lift it giving seconds for backs to swarm.

we are badly lacking a bit of perspective here, but that’s reflective of the desperation for success I think. We had a lot of lads out there to see what they could do yesterday, most won’t see a lot of championship time but we need a few to come through and stake a claim, and the way to do that is to give them a chance in proper games like yesterday. If lads looked off the pace or physicality let them go again and see if they can adjust next day out, otherwise we discard them all and go back to where we were which we know isn’t good enough

The Lehane thing is more frustration because people know how this plays out, I don’t get what PR thinks is going to change. Kingston doesn’t deserve the stick he gets, he’s an impact sub, we all know that. Hitting puck outs at him is a non runner, we know that so why they do is a mystery

For all the lads writing Clare off and putting us above them.. maybe yesterday is a bit of a reminder that to beat them in the championship we will need a lot to change in our favour.

One last thing - what is with our reluctance to shoot from distance? It looks like it was an instruction not to at times yesterday. 2nd half we had a gale behind us and lads free around the middle turning down the shot to play another short pass forward. A clare friend at the match texted me at half time saying that we would destroy them with the wind, I told him they’d hold out and unfortunately I was right

That lads opinion isn't great.
The sense everyone around me had was that we would get back in control and win it because we were dominating the general play.
Cork could have won it but a lad who thought cork would win easily has no feel for what he is seeing

We were looking like a small parish Senior club with an IC hurler centre back and a clinical auld fella full forward. Its a wonder we didn't put Joyce centre forward to tie it up in last few minutes 3 points down.

That lads opinion isn't great.
The sense everyone around me had was that we would get back in control and win it because we were dominating the general play.
Cork could have won it but a lad who thought cork would win easily has no feel for what he is seeing
He presumed that we would try some shots from distance. I know that what I thought would happen and so did everyone around me. Working it through the lines made sense in the first half against a gale, it made no sense in the second half to try to work it up to a forward with his own man and a sweeper on him when you could score from halfway. Was our first shot from distance O Donoghue after 20 mins?

He presumed that we would try some shots from distance. I know that what I thought would happen and so did everyone around me. Working it through the lines made sense in the first half against a gale, it made no sense in the second half to try to work it up to a forward with his own man and a sweeper on him when you could score from halfway.
That’s exactly it.. I figured Clare were hurling far better though so we would struggle to make the space to get the shots off accurately. What I didn’t anticipate was turning the shooting opportunities down to continue short passing though the lines and turning it over!

None of these lads pucked a ball yesterday:

Saunderson
O'Callaghan Cahalane Mellerick
Downey Downey O'Laoighre
E Twomey Coleman Fitzgibbon
Cunningham O'Mahony Dalton
Harnedy Connolly

I reckon that team would beat the 15 that started yesterday. Mullins & Barrett got a few minutes (way too few).

If we ever do get all the panel together, or at least very close to it, we'll be strong. We likely won't be until we do. Relax a small bit.
Can Cork field 2 teams? We’re the biggest county in the country with the most clubs, can never seem to pick a settled 15, and always chopping and changing. I do agree that the team listed by the previous poster would beat the team that played yesterday! Instead of splitting county in 2, let’s apply to Croke Park for 2 team representation.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stone Drawn Circles

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 1pm

More events ▼