Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Just watched the game back there, awful performance by Cork, was like watching the team under Kingston trying to walk the ball up the field, only for Wexford injuries and Seamie Harnedy we would have been bate out the gate. Backs apart from Joyce and Tommy O'Connell were awful, midfield overplayed the ball all day, fucking about doing nothing constructive. P Power and Barrett were the pick of the forwards until Harnedy came on and showed the whole lot of them how to actually compete for the ball and win it.

If Pat Ryan does one thing this year is sort out the wheat from the chaff with regard to what we have from midfield up, they need to be sat down and told if you can't compete and win your own ball then you have no business playing inter county hurling. We have too many guys not willing to get hurt gaining possession and to do the unglamorous stuff. About four of the forwards starting today didn't want to know about it, running away from work. Kingston getting motm sums it up. He offered fuck all from open play bar frees, unable to win any type of ball and just waiting for fellas to do it for him. Jack O'Connor should ride pine for the rest of the year. Lazy fucking half arsed tackling conceding brainless yellow cards, it's not his first time either. There is a long job of work ahead for Pat Ryan and his team, I would temper expectations for the championship this year and work on sorting a squad out for next year and give guys workings for their game before they pull on a red jersey again.
I don’t know a single person involved in Cork club hurling who is saying Cork are anywhere near AI champions.. it only on here I see it.

I don’t know a single person involved in Cork club hurling who is saying Cork are anywhere near AI champions.. it only on here I see it.
We’ve already won the 3 in a row judging by some of the posters on here. And mentioning Limerick is akin to heresy. Even if they are a brilliant team and better than we are. Better to blindly think we’re class because we’re Cork.

I am amazed when reading the comments on here how little Credit has been given to Padraig Power. He carried the fight the Wexford from the start, even when nobody else was . He scored a goal and if you look he created the second as well as a point or two and got fouled for another. He was my motm followed by Shane Barrett who also did well.
I thought Dalton was battling hard and there certainly were a couple that could have gone before him.

I didn't think Conor Cahalane had one of his better days, or Shane Kingston either.
Brian Hayes looks good in spots but I think can be too casual when going for possession, he is big enough and strong enough to win more than he does.

I thought both our midfielders did not have good games and picked some poor options at times.

In the backs I thought Niall O Leary did well , Tommy O Connell was excellent and Joyce thundered into the game in the later stages but was having one of his quieter games earlier on.
I didn't think Eoin Roche did as well as in previous outing , Eoin Downey showed inexperience a couple of times but was generally solid.
Ethan Twomey will have many better days and maybe few worse ones but what I don't understand with young player who are not having a great day then why not keep the game simple and deliver the ball long and quick into the forwards. More than anything he was guilty of slow, short passing around the backs which just was not working, but he will learn from days like this.

We saw the benefit of age experience and strength when the subs came on and won the game. Harnedy and Downey in particular.

Still way to early to pick to pick championship teams but for me at this stage I think the young players who have really put their hands up for inclusion are Eoin Downey, Cormac O Brien, Tommy O Connell. Brian Roche(although not today) and after today Padraig Power. I would not rule out Brian Hayes just yet either but we need to see more than we saw today.
Shane Barrett I regard as more less established at this stage.

Interesting on the injuries that Robbie o Flynn is back pitch training but Sean O'Donoghue isn't. That night against limerick you'd say Flynn could be gone for year and donoghues looked nothing major
Great news on Robbie.

As for ODonoghue I thought the examiner had that he was going to be back for the Clare game? You’d be worried hearing this from a defensive standpoint. Based on that, I think the only player as things stand that all posters would agree on is Joyce.

I’d like Ryan to use these last few games to find some form of a settled side. He’s tried a lot of players over the course of the league but it’s important that players begin to work off partnerships and structure too prior to the first round of championship.

I’m struggling myself to pick who I think will be starting never mind who will be in the squad.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼