Cork Hurlers - Part 2

If only Ryan and co had started to put their own stamp on the team from the outset or at least after year one. Then there would be a lot more optimism even with the injuries. In fairness results couldn't really be any worse. Wouldn't I love to have seen something like the following being the line up for Saturday night. Especially if coming on the back of 2 wins.

P Collins

E Roche
D Cahalane
S O Donoghue

G Millerick
E Downey
R Downey

T O Connell
N O Leary

O Mahoney
D Fitzgibbon
S Harnedy

P Horgan
A Connolly
S Barrett

Fair point. But it just shows how low our expectations are of our players if that’s something to be writing home about.
Hayes, Downey, TOC, E Twomey, S Twomey and others are young players with relatively little experience at this level of competition.

It is not easy to bring a number of young players into a team at the same time , this is even more true when you don't really have a settled nucleus in key positions.
They do need time and patience.

As someone who was very very negative before the Clare game expecting a decent beating (we performed very well at times) I'm afraid I can't see anything different this time.
I am really worried about our half back line getting taken to the cleaners which in turn will put massive pressure on the full line. To be fair even with Joyce at 6 I'd have the same worry.
The only optimism I can muster is that we will need goals, and the one possible chink in the Limerick armour is that they concede a few. Not sure we have the players to take advantage of that but.....
They have conceded one goal so far in the championship. They conceded 6 goals in 7 championship matches last year which is ridiculously good considering they played everybody that’s anybody in hurling.

Hayes, Downey, TOC, E Twomey, S Twomey and others are young players with relatively little experience at this level of competition.

It is not easy to bring a number of young players into a team at the same time , this is even more true when you don't really have a settled nucleus in key positions.
They do need time and patience.
The most sensible post I've seen today.

Tipp, who won the 2 U21s prior to ours have yet to successfully merge those players with the core of their AI winning team.
In other words they had a stronger base than us and are still struggling.

Same for KK, to some degree, they are regularly touted as being on a par with Clare but until Lyng took over Cody was very much relying on the old guard.
Lyng is in more of a rebuild mode than Cody was, but consequently was schooled by Limerick in last year's AI Final.
Be interesting to see what KK look like outside of Leinster this year.

Waterford's best players are mostly drawn from their AI winning U21 team, and have yet to deliver anything of note at senior level.

As for Galway...all the minor successes yielded nothing even at U20 and everyone is complaining that they still rely heavily on their heroes from 2017

Looks like Clare are probably the most successful at blending in new players but still rely on their experienced players to make the telling difference in games, and obviously have yet to achieve anything outside of running Limerick close in Munster.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Outsiders X Africa Day: Let The Pen Speak

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼