Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Would jack o connor have been more of a goal threat than Hayes?

No it was a fucking war zone and he wouldn’t have won any ball, o’donoghues brainfart sending off, Collins melt down on his own puckouts and the subs being brought on for cork - nice hurlers but none of them able to fight and work like a dog, Meade ‘chasing’ Fitzgerald and reidy making a fool of Coleman down in the corner without a Hurley were primary reasons for losing yesterday.

No it was a fucking war zone and he wouldn’t have won any ball, o’donoghues brainfart sending off, Collins melt down on his own puckouts and the subs being brought on for cork - nice hurlers but none of them able to fight and work like a dog, Meade ‘chasing’ Fitzgerald and reidy making a fool of Coleman down in the corner without a Hurley were primary reasons for losing yesterday.
Agree with ya. Compare any of our lads to the Gillanes of this world.. Gillane is a Dog of War.
You need that up top nowadays
Tipp & Kilkenny had them over the last decade too

Derek McGrath Waterford speak.
The results over the last 2 years speak for themselves. At the end of the day, we can move around the deck chairs all day long but we just aren’t good enough. That’s a very average Clare team. Although mistakes are made don’t blame the players or indeed PR in my book. I am extremely proud today of that performance from the lads yesterday. Have to respect them all after they dying in their boots yesterday. Some warriors, Especially Harnedy & Hoggie (a man I’m critical of for years) who were immense. A credit to themselves, their families, clubs and the Cork Jersey.
Our problems in Cork hurling are more fundamental than the lads yesterday.
😂 I’d need to have quoted freud or carl jung to reach Derek levels.

There’s nothing complicated or bullshitty about noting our defensive shape changed dramatically in the second half. In the first half Harnedy and Dalton both got inside out 45 to help stop Clare attackers on a couple of occasions. In the second half, we could barely get our half back line to do that never mind our midfield or half forwards.

Mental calling Clare an average team also. Some of the top players in the country in certain positions. They're physical, they've a settled team, they know their game inside out. Keeper and corner back might yet catch them from going all the way.

😂 I’d need to have quoted freud or carl jung to reach Derek levels.

There’s nothing complicated or bullshitty about noting our defensive shape changed dramatically in the second half. In the first half Harnedy and Dalton both got inside out 45 to help stop Clare attackers on a couple of occasions. In the second half, we could barely get our half back line to do that never mind our midfield or half forwards.

Mental calling Clare an average team also. Some of the top players in the country in certain positions. They're physical, they've a settled team, they know their game inside out. Keeper and corner back might yet catch them from going all the way.
Ammmmm… you know a team shape depends on and changes whether you are playing with or against the wind?

Mental? A bit strong there I think.
What have that Clare team won? How many AIs? None. The county won their first national title in 10 years recently, a league that no one really wanted other than them. They are an average side that a bang out of form Cork side almost clipped.

Was shocked really at how naive Cork were. As well as the SOD incident, being drawn into fighting and arguing with Clare players at the end and taking up all the injury time. Madness coming from established inter county hurlers.
Yeah, Clare were cynical and cute, slowed it right down, wound Cork players up, went down for questionable injuries which Owens suddenly decided was a reason to stop play.
The kind of stuff you do when you want to kill the game.
We should learn from that too.

Not answering that in fairness. Move on.
I’ve made my point.
Have you?
Loads of guys make the squads but if the year is a poor one then chances are they aren't great.
If it's an all Ireland winning side then the standard that year is high and you'd expect a player unless he was very small/slight to be making the club team in a few years.

I have been critical of the backs when the forwards have been getting a lot of the blame but yesterday they were doing as well as they could until the sending off. Shane O'Donnell has the beating of every back in the country at the minute.
Clare had reeled our 7 point lead in thought in the five minutes before the red card. Ironically we might have been better off if Sean O’Donoghue had missed that block and we’d gone a goal down but kept 15 men on the field rather than keeping it out and conceding a goal to an overload a couple of minutes later. Either way yesterday is only one data point. Look at the scores conceded in the last 5 championship matches.

2-25
2-22
3-25
2-25
3-26

An average of 32.2. There are plenty of individual backs who have done well in that time but there’s more to defending than that. It’s about how you defend as a unit from 1-15, how you mind possession, how you set up for puckouts and other transitions. It’s not even like you’d look at teams conceding big scores and scoring big and saying “oh well you can’t win a championship like that it’s unsustainable” we can’t win a fucking match.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼