Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Until we stop coughing up huge scores then we are going nowhere. I think we have to start building from the back with players who like to defend first and hurl afterwards. I think this also includes midfield.
Players like Eoin Roche, Conor O Callaghan, Michael Mullins got very little league time even though Eoin Roche in particular looked good against Clare in the league.
Daire O Leary is another, they may not be good enough but as they are not getting a chance in competitive league games then we will never know.

I thought Ethan Twomey did well yesterday even though he does need to add a lot of muscle and should be joined there by another equally hard working midfielder.
I find it strange that Brian Roche was playing well in the team last year and didn't make the 26 against Clare.

I think what I find most disappointing is that I don't see a plan from our management. We played poorly against Waterford so there are wholesale changes made. Nearly two years after this groups appointment they don't seem to have settled on a first fifteen or indeed a particular style of play.

At least if you could see the nucleus of a team developing built around the emerging young players it would give hope for the future. I accept chopping and changing to a degree in the league as players do need to get a chance but if a player appears to be doing well then surely that merits another chance.

Mark Rodgers roasted Ciaran Joyce lads.

Good and all as Joyce is he needs to be winning his own duel first. We have enough loose defenders who don’t see primary job as stopping man scoring for fun.

He was neither sweeping or marking his man. Ryan sauntered through to the 21 when he made a run from in his own half.

A 6 has to be the lynchpin of defence in that scenario.

With the ball dead an opponent ran full pelt at him. What was he supposed to do, leave himself open to injury or square up to him. Desperate play-acting by the clarewoman and the ref was a gowl to be taken in by it.
The ball wasn't dead you eejit.
Collins flicked it away and was chasing after it, o donnell wasn't running at o donoghue he was chasing Collins
O donoghue stepped into him and body checked o donnell.

Some of you lads literally don't know what you are looking at.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429_094337_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_094337_YouTube.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 16
With the ball dead an opponent ran full pelt at him. What was he supposed to do, leave himself open to injury or square up to him. Desperate play-acting by the clarewoman and the ref was a gowl to be taken in by it.
He saw O'Donnell coming and sized him up. Running away from goal, not to it. Collins had it covered. Either he had no faith in Collins, or he's stupid. Either way, second yellow. You're already on a yellow, can't do it. It's that simple

The ball wasn't dead you eejit.
Collins flicked it away and was chasing after it, o donnell wasn't running at o donoghue he was chasing Collins
O donoghue stepped into him and body checked o donnell.

Some of you lads literally don't know what you are looking at.
That’s a very one-eyed interpretation. It was certainly silly by SOD and arguably merited the yellow card for brainlessness but to suggest he stepped debatable I would suggest. O’Donnell went down like he was shot. He has previous in this. Both a brilliant and clever player.

Since Ger Cunningham we have somehow bizarrely lost the ability to produce top keepers, to the point that in Cork we don’t seem to even know anymore what a good one actually is imo.

Ger Cunningham :oops:

In fairness to Ger Blue he was a big unit and would stop most shots, sometimes even with his helmet ;). His most potent weapon was his long hit of the sliotar back in the day when it was all about getting your forwards in motion, and we had the likes of Tim Crowley on the 40 to keep it going, but I'm not sure he was a top keeper. Maybe I'm just cynical in retrospect.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jordan Mackampa

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼