Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Ffs
We have min 2 games left this season, a lot to learn, and a lot to prove. Yet you're focusing on next year, a new manager and some clichéd divisive sh*t about some ficticious "tippy tappy brigade" and Sean Twomey.
A lot to learn? A lot to prove? Jesus man we are 2 games into the Munster championship not the league

Just watch the u20s and you’ll see this fictitious “tippy tappy brigade”!is a reality unfortunately

Last week in Ennis Duggan
Firstly those Limerick players were older (from double winning U21 team) and already had a natural physical advantage. Even at that it was 3 years between winning the U21 and winning senior.

Secondly there was no "great" team around when they were breaking through, certainly no team at their peak or the equivalent of the team Limerick are now. What Limerick then went on to do was to change the physical standards of the game to the point, ironically, that it is highly unlikely in the near future that any AI senior winning team will comprise mostly of players a year or 2 out of U20

Thirdly there were numerous junctures in the year that Lim first won the AI where they had to show tremendous composure and belief to claw their way back into games where they were looking defeat in the face. Unfortunately 2 of those were versus us.
You can't buy that kind of experience or how it solidifies a team.
They also had a bit of luck on the way. A bit of luck could have seen us over the line yesterday, we put ourselves in a position where luck with one of those close misses could have resulted in an epic win. That could have changed everything.

What is critical for this team now is bringing the same level of effort and improving again on performance in the game versus Limerick.
Nothing else matters now. This team needs a big win in adversity, even if ultimately it brings nothing this season it's in the memory bank for next. A certain standard of performance should be a given in any circumstances.
Building on U20 success is not an Instafix, it's taking time, now's the time for cool heads and leaders who are going to pick players up to go again.

Heard Kiely speaking yesterday about Phase 1 of Munster being done and a having a break before Phase 2.
I thought that was a good way to view it.
Phase 1 for us is done, re-set for Phase 2.
2 wins and see where we land, unfortunately it is out of our hands to some extent.
It was also out of Limerick's hands going into the last 2 games last year.
Can’t compare /
No matter the result in Walsh Park next weekend we are hamging by a thread unless we beat Limerick

If we lose to Limerick we will be gone if Waterford beat Tipperary unless Tipperary then go on to beat Clare but lose to Waterford

The bottom line is if we lose to Limerick we will need 2 other counties to finish on 2 points and for us to have the better scoring average of the 3

Let’s just concentrate on beating Limerick ffs
problem is favourites for second and third have the head to head over cork now.
4 points unlikely to be enough.

A lot to learn? A lot to prove? Jesus man we are 2 games into the Munster championship not the league

Just watch the u20s and you’ll see this fictitious “tippy tappy brigade”!is a reality unfortunately
I'm aware of where we are.
2 games left.

For me yes: learn whether or not this team can find a way to win the next 2 games, prove that they have mental resilience

None of this year's U20s are anyway involved in the senior team so I'm not sure you know where we are.

If you do want to talk about the U20 it's a weak enough argument against the running game given they're currently 3 wins from 3.

Is it really though? Yes Donoghue gave a little step in front of him (and you could say it was stupid) but O'Donnell made an absolute meal out of it.

If you had a player cam on 2 players today, Cleary and O'Donoghue, showed it to a random person and told him one of these players got sent off today..who is it? They would go for Cleary every time

I like Cleary, but there is only so long he will get away with raping every forward that comes near him. Anthony Daly keeps saying "Conor Cleary..always gets a yellow, never a red"

I think those days are numbered
O'Donnell played him and ref like a fiddle, he did it expertly.

We make these mistakes so consistently that it’s a bigger issue. We’re not good enough and haven’t been for some time.

Don’t let the margin of defeat yesterday fool us. We lost by 3 after scoring a late goal. We were up by 7 at one stage and 15 minutes later down by 6. A 13 point swing. We got a late goal against Waterford also. Added in the lack of discipline and I do think we are miles off it.
Hey Cranky, after going 7 up. I dont have the stats but we lost most of the next 10 pucks out. With Harnedy and Dalton off or about to be replaced. ROF lost about 4 puck outs in a row. Meade and Cokeman had no impact. This was the losing of the game IMO.

If we had a Duggan, we were winning that game.

S Twomey is closest to Duggan that we have after Harnedy but look how mgmt are using him this year. Can we honestly say that they have a plan or are developing ball winners. I cannot see it.

For an example of an effective ball winning midfield sub. See Adam English for Limerick vs Clare, came on with Clare miles ahead, won ball after ball.

Last edited:
It was a stupid and needless body check by SOD and even more so on a yellow card. Sadly for us, guys coming back from injury look far from ready for championship hurling - Robbie and Coleman in particular. But at the end of the day we simply can’t win enough ball to be able to consistently threaten the opposition. That’s killing us and I don’t see any quick fix there. We need a Duggan or Hegarty who can guarantee us a steady supply of decent ball. I don’t think Sean Twomey is at that level but who else is.???

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

The Insiders

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼