Cork Hurlers - Part 2

This is a great post from before the match and could as well be from after the game or anytime from the last 5/6 years.

There seems to be a chasm between the traits that we expect from our players compared to other counties, particularly the successful ones.

In Limerick and Kilkenny you don’t get picked if you can’t consistently show aggression, physicality and work-rate. We have 5 or 6 starters who wouldn’t get in Kilkenny/Limerick training squads for this reason, let alone starting, and all starting together.

If we’re struggling to match Waterford physically, who have improved a lot in that area to be fair and were fully deserving winners today, it’s difficult to see how we match Limerick there.

We know from Ryan's time in charge of the 20s that he's well able to build hard working teams. So I think if he came out and said he was building a squad who will be genuine contenders for an AI next year or in two years time, he'd get more support. Because at the moment, I doubt even the players think they'll beat Limerick without being able to stand up to them physically.

We don't have to go completely away from the skilful and quick players, but we have to get more aggression and size in the middle 8 and create more space for the inside forward line. You could have the more experienced guys coming off the bench, and get the middle 8 players to work their socks off for 40/50 minutes like Ryan's teams did at u20 level.

1. Collins
2. O’Donoghue 3. D. O’Leary 4. N. O’Leary
5. R.Downey 6. Joyce 7. E.Downey
8. O’Mahony. 9. Coleman
10. Fitzgibbon
11. Twomey 12. Hayes 13. O’Flynn
14. Connolly 15. Barrett

U have a fair point but are we going wrong from u14 upto senior .is it all small wriste hurlers cork coaches want .no physical lads .surely we cud find big no 5 7 10 and 12 like Limerick clare to match them

Its just so disappointing. That was a very winnable game that Mgmt messed up. I like your team above but would play Roche midfield and Coleman as a roaming corner forward.

Lads what are odds most of all of Lehane, Harnedy, Hoggie will be picked again week?
I was debating Roche for Tommy as im still not convinced Tommy has enough, his attitude and workrate is top notch though

Shane Barrett has the roving corner foward role down to a tee, he was one of the real shining lights today

Rolls Royce Joyce was reddened today. Easy lambast the likes of Horgan Harnedy etc.
first goal was down his channel - high ball not dealt with
I honestly reckon he was sick. He was very passive, there was no aggression in him and his touch was poor. It was obvious after a couple of minutes. I thought he should have been taken off.

I feel sorry for Twomey, some are expecting far too much of him. He’ll be a sub next week and hopefully he improves in his next performance but his first half performance was not good today. There were no surprised at all in the crowd when he was taken off.
Also got a silly yellow too in first half which was probably factored into the decision but he was anonymous

This is a great post from before the match and could as well be from after the game or anytime from the last 5/6 years.

There seems to be a chasm between the traits that we expect from our players compared to other counties, particularly the successful ones.

In Limerick and Kilkenny you don’t get picked if you can’t consistently show aggression, physicality and work-rate. We have 5 or 6 starters who wouldn’t get in Kilkenny/Limerick training squads for this reason, let alone starting, and all starting together.

If we’re struggling to match Waterford physically, who have improved a lot in that area to be fair and were fully deserving winners today, it’s difficult to see how we match Limerick there.

We know from Ryan's time in charge of the 20s that he's well able to build hard working teams. So I think if he came out and said he was building a squad who will be genuine contenders for an AI next year or in two years time, he'd get more support. Because at the moment, I doubt even the players think they'll beat Limerick without being able to stand up to them physically.

We don't have to go completely away from the skilful and quick players, but we have to get more aggression and size in the middle 8 and create more space for the inside forward line. You could have the more experienced guys coming off the bench, and get the middle 8 players to work their socks off for 40/50 minutes like Ryan's teams did at u20 level.

1. Collins
2. O’Donoghue 3. D. O’Leary 4. N. O’Leary
5. R.Downey 6. Joyce 7. E.Downey
8. O’Mahony. 9. Coleman
10. Fitzgibbon
11. Twomey 12. Hayes 13. O’Flynn
14. Connolly 15. Barrett
Were are cork going wrong from u14 to senior level wat type off players are being picked .small wriste hurlers is this why we can't match other teams .surely we have big lads around the county for no 10 12 like Limerick and clares wat are cork coaches being told pick .it's like a case who they know we can't drop u

Very slow, will struggle to get breathing room at this level without the acceleration. Look at Kiely and prendergast - the could win ball today and quickly accelerate into space.
Yes, Twomey didn’t appear good enough at this level.Clare have a tough, big physical full back, but Hayes did ok on him in league game. My team next week… Collins, NOL, DC, SOD, GM, Joyce, RD, Coleman, TOM,Dalton, Fitz, Barrett , Connolly, Hayes, ROF

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼