Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Fawning over fake Praise from a County bankrolled by a Billionaire. Christ we have fallen. Waterford game is the wrong one for us, Davy has nothing to lose now and we are Deeply embedded in our "Cork Hurling God Delusion" . Clare game could be live or Die for us.

Waterford game is the right one for us - it will be a scrap from start to finish on a tight pitch, which is what we need. They'll set up to keep the scoreboard low (on both sides of the field!).

They often start out with a traditional 15 set up and then start retreating a couple of lads. Leavy will surely be sweeping, and they've found a serious defender in Mark Fitzgerald - he might even be at full back. They've a bunch of lads just coming back from injury so I think they'll be stronger as it goes on. They're not in the 'nothing to lose' zone yet but they might be after a couple of games.

They've loads of individual quality but because of their set up and their lack of real top class forwards they tend to be very low scoring. Barron is in decent form and appearing in the forward line now, Patrick Fitzgerald is fit, and Jack Prendergast also looks sharp. Mikey Kiely gave ED a tricky 10 mins when he came on in the league game also. It will be a proper tough championship game but we have clear advantages in certain parts of the field and I do expect a win. I’m slightly worried that we go and get the result with a ‘tried and trusted’ selection which comes back to haunt us a round or two later

Something that popped into my head today is that the 1999 All Ireland winning side will be in Croke Park on All Ireland final day as the 25th anniversary team. Hard to believe it's 25 years, seems like yesterday getting drenched wet on Hill 16
Could be the first anniversary team to get booed after all their strikes.

Waterford have a worse case of recurring injuries than us. De Burka & Bennett must be close to packing it while been the best of them.
If Cork are at anything this year, we need to wallop their depleted team & kicked off this Friday by U20's

Out of interest what will the Waterford team look like?

Will Prunty and De Burka play?
Will they have everyone back fit?
They’re both back but de Burca highly unlikely to start against cork, prunty 50/50. Iarlaith Daly & Patrick Fitz (he’s still u20 would you believe) are back also.

At a guess

O brien
Kenny. M Fitzgerald. M power
Fagan. Daly. C Lyons
Leavy. D Lyons
Prendergast. J Barron. Montgomery
P hogan. Kiely. Dessie

Bennett, prunty, Patrick Fitz , Patrick Curran , Tom Barron, Kevin Mahony could all easily be on that , much harder to call than the cork team

They’re both back but de Burca highly unlikely to start against cork, prunty 50/50. Iarlaith Daly & Patrick Fitz (he’s still u20 would you believe) are back also.

At a guess

O brien
Kenny. M Fitzgerald. M power
Fagan. Daly. C Lyons
Leavy. D Lyons
Prendergast. J Barron. Montgomery
P hogan. Kiely. Dessie

Bennett, prunty, Patrick Fitz , Patrick Curran , Tom Barron, Kevin Mahony could all easily be on that , much harder to call than the cork team
Not a bad team at all. Plenty of talent in that side, lot of Waterfords issues are head related, and having a manager who is constantly trying to reinvent the wheel.

Remember in last years championship Limerick only scraped over them in Rd 1. My abiding memory of the game is a Waterford player (possibly Bennett) getting a rotten head high shot from a Limerick player (Hegarty I think but not 100% sure).
If Cork go down to Walsh Park expecting a cake walk then we'll be bate back up the N25. Our performance against them in the 2cd half of last years championship game was only alright so and we nearly collapsed against them in the league a few weeks ago so I presume all concerned in the Cork camp will be wary of them.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jake Bugg
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

19th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Velvetones

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼