Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Every team were missing good players at various stages during the season but we just didn’t have the depth to win without them

We’re all clinging to the narrow losses but in reality Tipp had us well beaten for most of the game but late goals snatched us a draw.

I wasn’t in Ennis but from what I’ve read it was the lack of fight that really discouraged supporters. Pat Ryan highlighted that as one of his priorities and it’s just depressing that we can’t sort it. KK at present it could be argued have a limited enough talent pool but they still put up a fight every day and reached last two finals on merit.
Sure can you blame the players when he comes out and says no one remembers the league and we're focusing on the Waterford game.
Players are gonna look after their bodies and not fight in hope it keeps them injury free and not burnt out come championship.

Do yourself a favour and review the stats. It’s well known that if you hoof the sideline up the field, the opposing team comes away with possession over 80% of the time. So much so that I have seen juvenile games recently that when a team is under the cosh, they fire the ball up the field over the sideline between the 13m line and the end line…the team under the cosh gathers the resulting (hoofed) sideline from the dominant team around the halfway and launch pointed scores from there to stem the tide from the dominant team. Now, I agree, it goes against the very fabric of the game but it breeds results. Cork are imitating a KK and Clare tactic from last year which saw all short sidelines resulting in 100% success in regathering possession.
Ah lad, he never stated to hoof the ball up the line. He questioned by hit it to a marked player, a 50, 50.

Do yourself a favour and review the stats. It’s well known that if you hoof the sideline up the field, the opposing team comes away with possession over 80% of the time. So much so that I have seen juvenile games recently that when a team is under the cosh, they fire the ball up the field over the sideline between the 13m line and the end line…the team under the cosh gathers the resulting (hoofed) sideline from the dominant team around the halfway and launch pointed scores from there to stem the tide from the dominant team. Now, I agree, it goes against the very fabric of the game but it breeds results. Cork are imitating a KK and Clare tactic from last year which saw all short sidelines resulting in 100% success in regathering possession.
Firstly , send on the stats , I’d love a look. There is some stats on puc outs which shows short works but you’d be lynched on here for calling for more short!

Secondly, I’m not against short sidelines at all, limerick are brilliant at it. We’re at it for a couple of years and we’re pretty miserable at it. It looks poorly prepared and often poorly executed. Clare mostly went long last weekend and fared much better.

3rd quarter will be interesting also tonight. It’s killed us for 12 months now… it was 7 points to 1 to Clare in the first 15 mins of Sundays second half and that was the winning of the game really. Hopefully we’re analysing the details within this part of the game and coming up with little ways to break that flow.

Ironic you say this to be fair to you.
I'm coming at you with possibilities and suggestions and you reply with that is shite etc. Good debate pal!
Only one shite talker here and it's you. If you think it's shite talk please back it up and call me out where I am wrong. If I'm wrong I'll apologise.
But clearly I triggered you.

Another poster here (not naming him/her) only issue found with my post was saying we need to pick ball winners in our half forwards to start with and that is absolutely bang on.
Your not worth the energy but I'll humour you
Easy knowing you've never coached the game at any age or played at high level 🤣
You can only get better at a skill by practicing it, it's all well and good doing it in training with no pressure. Try it in a game completely different.
League is for experimenting and trying things.
It's a known fact we're not good in the air catching off puck outs.
Only way we get better is doing it.

Your local club (if you even have one) would tend to do the same in league/challenge games before championship, try a new or different tactic and see if it works.
The intercounty hurlers in the second largest county in Ireland are not some junior b team where its leave it long and hard. Why would PR tell Collins to hit a defenders ball (high dropping) on someone like Kingston in the first round of the most competitive league since the last format change, when in championship he'll be leaving in low direct ball. The generalisation that "we are not good in the air" is wrong because its just not as cut and dry as that, some players are good in the air some aren't and the problem is they're not being picked according to the position and its requirements.

Last edited:
Hey Morello,

Everyone can see the logic of KK backs winning their battles against the Cork forwards selected.

In particular, Harnedy has carried us for years. Lets see who steps up tonight in the 2nd half when KK understandably make it tight, or as Jackie Tyrell says " A Battle".

They say its the hope that kills you. I'm hoping for a statement win. All part of being a Cork hurling supporter...

Your right, lets see how our puckout and sideline strategy hold up.

Big night for Cork Mgmt, can they light a fire in these players and make the right decisions under pressure.
Welll it won’t be poor Sean Twomey cause he’ll be out on his feet from doing other fowards work for them

To me our foward line lacks balance and has done for many a year, realistically we can only start one of Hoggy, Lehane or Kingston because of their lack of proper workrate and tackling, and if that’s the case there’s only one man starting in my eyes

I go back to the championship foward line v Limerick last year, that’s as close to our best foward line as was possible on that day, personally I’d play Fitzy at 11 and obviously Robbie at 13 and no reason others can’t break into that team, but that should be our template every day we go out and it doesn’t seem to be

Your not worth the energy but I'll humour you

The intercounty hurlers in the second largest county in Ireland are not some junior b team where its leave it long and hard. Why would PR tell Collins to hit a defenders ball (high dropping) on someone like Kingston in the first round of the most competitive league since the last format change, when in championship he'll be leaving in low direct ball. The generalisation that "we are not good in the air" is wrong because its just not as cut and dry as that, some players are good in the air some aren't and the problem is they're not being picked according to the position and its requirements.
We are not good in the air. STOP dressing it up or fudging it behind some waffle. Hence the reason the Cork Hurling Snob uses. "Playing the lines" , "Sweeper" , "Third Midfielder" , " Quarter Back". All used to butter up the lack of players we have able to win Primary possession.

We are not good in the air. STOP dressing it up or fudging it behind some waffle. Hence the reason the Cork Hurling Snob uses. "Playing the lines" , "Sweeper" , "Third Midfielder" , " Quarter Back". All used to butter up the lack of players we have able to win Primary possession.
So Deccie, Harnedy, Twomey, Hayes, the two Downey's, Tim, Robbie, Joyce, Damo and Daire O'Leary are all useless in the air so are they?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼