Cork Hurlers - Part 2

SNIP

I've been critical of PR of his tactics so far I will admit that but again I'm holding him to a standard that Kingston and Meyler were subject to and I also give examples I just don't comment negatively for sake of it.

To be fair the Standard that Kingston was held to was on the back of a pretty empty managerial CV and when people were questioning him he was after two bites at the cherry.

PR has had a successful managerial career both at under-age intercounty, and with club at senior level, and yet here we have people already wanting him punted only after one championship season if we don't have success this summer. I'm certainly not saying PR is the messiah, and he has made mistakes tactically and in selection imho, but he has a wealth of managerial experience to draw on and I think we're doomed to wander in the wilderness ever more if our policy is just "yer in for two years, win it or get sacked" rinse-and-repeat

literally every County throwing young lads in, Kilkenny with a 19 year old. Down here, " we need to mind our babies" . FFS . GIVE ME A BREAK!
There's no minding, some just are not up to standard and the the ones that are, are faced with the other reason of the U20 - Senior rule.
Times have changed and I don't think for the better - if a fella is good enough to play senior he should simple as.

literally every County throwing young lads in, Kilkenny with a 19 year old. Down here, " we need to mind our babies" . FFS . GIVE ME A BREAK!
My point is play young players if they are good enough and ready but playing them just because they are young as some seem to have suggested here would be madness.

To be fair the Standard that Kingston was held to was on the back of a pretty empty managerial CV and when people were questioning him he was after two bites at the cherry.

PR has had a successful managerial career both at under-age intercounty, and with club at senior level, and yet here we have people already wanting him punted only after one championship season if we don't have success this summer. I'm certainly not saying PR is the messiah, and he has made mistakes tactically and in selection imho, but he has a wealth of managerial experience to draw on and I think we're doomed to wander in the wilderness ever more if our policy is just "yer in for two years, win it or get sacked" rinse-and-repeat
Kingston transitioned the team in 2014/2015 when it was needed? He had a lot more work to do than PR that's my point.
PR inherited a transitioned team from Kingston, PR came off the back of U20 success and knows the young fellas inside out yet some of them do not seem to be making the step up to Senior.
That's why I'm questioning him, he's applying similar tactics Kingston and Meyler trialed that haven't exactly worked and the the madness then of 11 players in our half with a gale force wind, the footballers don't even do that.

Kingston brought in the likes of his son Shane, O' Flynn, Coleman, Fitz, Tim O Mahony, Dalton to name a few at age of Leaving Cert/19 which is now harder to do over the rule.
People were slating him when he started the transition and he always said this is a long term development and outside of the likes of Cahalane, Hoggie, Harnedy, Lehane the average age of our current team is 25/26 or younger.
He got us to the final in 2021 on the back of the donkey work began in 2015. Should we have been there more? Absolutely.

I'm not calling for his head or for him to be gone at all, I've said it before and I've said it again hard questions need to be asked of him but no wants to and if anyone says something here they all jump to defend him.

Kingston transitioned the team in 2014/2015 when it was needed? He had a lot more work to do than PR that's my point.
PR inherited a transitioned team from Kingston, PR came off the back of U20 success and knows the young fellas inside out yet some of them do not seem to be making the step up to Senior.
That's why I'm questioning him, he's applying similar tactics Kingston and Meyler trialed that haven't exactly worked and the the madness then of 11 players in our half with a gale force wind, the footballers don't even do that.

Kingston brought in the likes of his son Shane, O' Flynn, Coleman, Fitz, Tim O Mahony, Dalton to name a few at age of Leaving Cert/19 which is now harder to do over the rule.
People were slating him when he started the transition and he always said this is a long term development and outside of the likes of Cahalane, Hoggie, Harnedy, Lehane the average age of our current team is 25/26 or younger.
He got us to the final in 2021 on the back of the donkey work began in 2015. Should we have been there more? Absolutely.

I'm not calling for his head or for him to be gone at all, I've said it before and I've said it again hard questions need to be asked of him but no wants to and if anyone says something here they all jump to defend him.

Sorry but I read and hear all about this "he needs/ed time because he was transitioning the team - and shur didn't he give a lot of youngsters their first go" type stuff in various sports and I think it's hokum. Managers are judged on their results not on whether or not they brought in good prospects and developed them a bit further so that the next manager MIGHT get a tune out of them. Stephen Kenny for instance was pants as Ireland football manager "ah but he debuted a lot of potential".

The facts remain, whether he's credited with giving youngsters their first go at it or not Kingston was unsuccessful twice. He had his go at it, and then some, PR should be given this year, and unless he shows himself to be taking the squad backwards, I'd give him next year as well - certainly in the absence of any obvious replacement as manager.

We can't keep chopping and changing manager and expect to be successful imho. I know it's a bit chicken and egg but unless he/she is making an obvious horlix of it, change for change's sake won't work imho

2 points up at half time and with the wind in the 2nd half and we still persisted with short puck outs,we must have coughed up 4-5 points alone from them. Its time to go long all the time as most counties are well capable of coping with our standard puck out system.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Perfect Days (Pg)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 4:15pm

More events ▼