Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Lk should have goalie and Nash in my view..Kelly from Clare I would play instead of TJ
We have plenty good hurlers and will have All Stars next time I hope
T Kelly goes missing when they need him - He is no all star. All fine having good hurlers but they need to produce the goods when it counts. 19 years next year without Liam - wouldn't have happened in Rings time.

TJ shouldn't have got one this year but the sycophants on the selection team couldn't resist, marty and your one that presents the Sunday game 🙄. Mikey butler another lucky selection, absolutely roasted by Peter casey in the final.

What players would you say were ignored who were better than those in the Cork team during those years ?
Sorry NC - didn’t see that follow up.
Don’t think it's necessarily a case of a bunch of lads around the county being ignored (I could name a small few but it’s pointless considering that there’s definitely lads who say no thanks for whatever reason when they get the phonecall)… but moreso within the panels.

Lehane consistently played and started through a really tricky 2 year stint a while back where he couldn’t find form but stayed on the team (culminating in the Galway qf free-taking issues). TOM and Dalton were looking on at non performing lads ahead of them for periods a couple of years back. Coleman at 6 for an extra 3 months beyond the experiment failing. Even last season, kingston, TOC, Conor cahalane had poor performances that were well flagged.

It happens in pressure jobs - the higher the pressure the more conservative the approach becomes at times. I would point to Lohan as someone who has resisted that conservatism - he has brought in loads of younger lads, frequently changes tactical approach and (most interesting from a cork perspective) has moved players into different positions e.g. Conlon , who is now an all star forward and all star defender. It hasn’t all worked but his side has disrupted limerick more than anyone else in the country.

Sorry NC - didn’t see that follow up.
Don’t think it's necessarily a case of a bunch of lads around the county being ignored (I could name a small few but it’s pointless considering that there’s definitely lads who say no thanks for whatever reason when they get the phonecall)… but moreso within the panels.

Lehane consistently played and started through a really tricky 2 year stint a while back where he couldn’t find form but stayed on the team (culminating in the Galway qf free-taking issues). TOM and Dalton were looking on at non performing lads ahead of them for periods a couple of years back. Coleman at 6 for an extra 3 months beyond the experiment failing. Even last season, kingston, TOC, Conor cahalane had poor performances that were well flagged.

It happens in pressure jobs - the higher the pressure the more conservative the approach becomes at times. I would point to Lohan as someone who has resisted that conservatism - he has brought in loads of younger lads, frequently changes tactical approach and (most interesting from a cork perspective) has moved players into different positions e.g. Conlon , who is now an all star forward and all star defender. It hasn’t all worked but his side has disrupted limerick more than anyone else in the country.
Morello.
I would certainly agree that selectors have been overly loyal to certain players over the years but I don't think I agree about better players not been given a chance.

Up until recently I think the real problem has been a lack of depth of quality hurlers in the county.

I know its a hurling topic but Colm Cooper got an all star in 2010,Kerry were knocked out in the 1/4 final,we won the league and championship got only 4 all stars and no one in the forward line.

I know its a hurling topic but Colm Cooper got an all star in 2010,Kerry were knocked out in the 1/4 final,we won the league and championship got only 4 all stars and no one in the forward line.
Wtf - you been carrying that around since 2012. Gooch was unmarkable that year - what player.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Murry
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Nov 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Notes From Sheepland (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼