Cork Hurlers - Part 2

That comment came ( I think) from a Glen man so don’t be making this into a Barrs rant. There’s one or two posters on here who are muppets and only want to cause a rift for some reason, maybe it’s jealousy, maybe it’s small mindedness but it’s very petty. But it is only only one or two. Thank god for the ignore button
I just think people should be free to say who they think who should or shouldn’t be in the team and why. If anyone thinks that players or their families are on here then we’re deluded. The PROC is an anonymous online forum board. To be honest what we say on here is completely irrelevant. As useful as pub talk.

My Barrs comment was more getting at that we spend a stupid amount of time here saying whether this Barrs lad should play or that Barrs lad should play. Appreciate many of the posters may be from the Barrs but it’s a bit tiring. We’ve talked about it to death at this stage.

Hasn't he often played at 6 for Newtown? And the vast majority of his senior intercounty career has been spent in defence, at 5 or 6.

That said, I am not sure he will ever make it as an intercounty defender (and I say that as someone who was quite enthusiastic about trying him at 6 back in 2019). He has undoubted strengths in terms of aggression, particularly when driving forward with the ball, his passing is often good and he is strong in the air. But I don't recall him ever doing a good tight marking job with the Cork seniors, and I don't think he is astute enough to patrol a specific area of the pitch in the manner of Hannon (or, for that matter, Joyce). I've never been convinced by his positioning and he seems to switch off too easily. It's possible that with really good coaching he could improve these areas of his game, but for what it's worth I think it makes much more sense to play him as a wing-forward, or maybe in the FF line depending on who else is available. I wouldn't be looking for a huge scoring contribution but a physical presence, a puck-out option, someone who can win a fair amount of possession, lay off the ball and occasionally drive at the opposition defence if space opens up. That, imo, would be much easier to achieve than ironing out the weaknesses in his defensive game.
Timmy is a forward all his life, brilliant full forward underage for Cork, who has been converted to a defender by adult inter county management.. square peg into a round hole as far as I’m concerned
Timmy is another of these conversions/modifications ala DC.. best center back in Cork club hurling and “The Rock” 😝 etc forced him into full back.. crazy stuff

Hayes looks very lethargic when he plays, and looks like it’s very difficult to correct. He plays football the same way, almost at half pace, waiting for ball to come to him. He is very skillful in both codes, but needs to show more urgency. Power is a good option up front, and has impressed.
Garbage… you could say the same about our Lord himself, JBM.
Hayes has great balance, technique, touch, hands, feet, vision, finishing, speed, physical presence, mental strength, genetics. A super prospect.

I just think people should be free to say who they think who should or shouldn’t be in the team and why. If anyone thinks that players or their families are on here then we’re deluded. The PROC is an anonymous online forum board. To be honest what we say on here is completely irrelevant. As useful as pub talk.

My Barrs comment was more getting at that we spend a stupid amount of time here saying whether this Barrs lad should play or that Barrs lad should play. Appreciate many of the posters may be from the Barrs but it’s a bit tiring. We’ve talked about it to death at this stage.
At adult level, fair comment is acceptable
Sport is a game of opinions…
I’m 100% certain Cork players aren’t reading posts here.
I’m very involved at club & was at inter county in past. I have family and friends involved at inter county now. No exaggeration but I have 100+ conversation a week about GAA. In all of that, Not even once ever have I heard anyone even mention PROC or a comment on PROC.. EVER.
Some players and also 2 parents of underage county players have spoken to me about the effects of social media on them & family but none referenced proc..

Last edited:
I’m very involved at club & was at inter county in past
ronnie-giphy-v2.gif

Timmy is a forward all his life, brilliant full forward underage for Cork, who has been converted to a defender by adult inter county management.. square peg into a round hole as far as I’m concerned
Timmy is another of these conversions/modifications ala DC.. best center back in Cork club hurling and “The Rock” 😝 etc forced him into full back.. crazy stuff

Like I said (and you ignored), he's regularly played in defence for Newtown as well as Cork. But on the issue of him being better suited to playing in the forwards, particularly at intercounty level, we're basically in agreement.

People are free to say what they want, but people are free to call out their bullshit too, especially when it’s targeted at the same individuals all the time

I will repeat, the vast majority of posters on here are genuine and add to the forum, but there’s always one or two idiots

I put one of them on ignore last week because the bs was relentless and targeted. But no doubt they are still at it

That’s where you’re focus should be, not on other genuine posters who call out their bs

Like I said (and you ignored), he's regularly played in defence for Newtown as well as Cork. But on the issue of him being better suited to playing in the forwards, particularly at intercounty level, we're basically in agreement.
I didn’t ignore your comment..
I responded to it directly.. I can’t keep repeating thus.. He is a super forward in my book who was converted to play back after minor by Cork

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

3 Of A Kind

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼