Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Fitzgerald played wing forward for Clare, he wouldn't have the concentration and work rate for midfield.
Cathal Malone and Ryan Taylor were our midfielders last year. Malone 5 years ago would never be picked for Cork because of his lack of hurling, but he was persisted with because of his size, athleticism and work rate. Taylor are very similar story, never on any underage teams but he covers the world of ground and isn't afraid to put a hit in (See what he did to Diarmaid Byrnes in Ennis last year).
Obviously you were at more Clare games than me but I thought he did the majority of his hurling in midfield this year with some interchange with the half-forward line at times. Open to correction of course.
He also won an All-Star at midfield.

Obviously you were at more Clare games than me but I thought he did the majority of his hurling in midfield this year with some interchange with the half-forward line at times. Open to correction of course.
He also won an All-Star at midfield.
Yeah he played wing forward but wore 8, it is very hard to see the difference in a midfielder and a wing forward who drops deep to collect possession like Fitzgerald does. I think the closest he came to midfield was against Cork after Galvin got the line

Ben O Connor is the closest thing we have to a Will O Donoghue and the frightening thing is he has tonnes more raw hurling ability in him too. Forget his age for a second, he's the ideal man for that position. Seeing him bounce grown men around the place this year was an absolute joy to see. He also likes to live on the edge and he's learning quickly to not go for the hail mary tackle. A crying shame if he never wears a senior jersey for Cork but he'd be worth it for any time he could devote to Cork outside rugby and school this year if he had the chance.

Seanie is a strong and athletic type who has done well for the club midfield and half forward and would be worth a go but you'd want someone to step in at corner back then too.

Ben O Connor is the closest thing we have to a Will O Donoghue and the frightening thing is he has tonnes more raw hurling ability in him too. Forget his age for a second, he's the ideal man for that position. Seeing him bounce grown men around the place this year was an absolute joy to see. He also likes to live on the edge and he's learning quickly to not go for the hail mary tackle. A crying shame if he never wears a senior jersey for Cork but he'd be worth it for any time he could devote to Cork outside rugby and school this year if he had the chance.

Seanie is a strong and athletic type who has done well for the club midfield and half forward and would be worth a go but you'd want someone to step in at corner back then too.
Ben is a super talent but steady on with the hyperbole, he hasn’t even played for the seniors yet

I think right now with Fitzy and Mark not available Lehane is looking like the man for no11, you need a silky touch and a cool head to play the role properly
Depends what you're looking for. Kyle Hayes has been fairly effective over the years when he played there. Silky & cool head wouldn't be 2 words you'd use to describe him!!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Funny Fridays Special

City Limits, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼