Cork Hurlers - Part 2

The forwards are going to have to double their work rate but I’m afraid there are at least 2 who simply will not be able to do that. By work rate I mean showing/making runs to receive the ball and almost as important, making life hell for defenders coming out with the ball. If we can up our levels of both by 50%, I think we have enough scoring potential to hurt most teams.
I do agree that the forwards will have to increase their intensity but I would be slow to say that any of the current squad could not do so.

I think throughout the squad there will be a general change in what is needed for this management group.

What has happened to Brian Turnbull? A few years ago he was heralded as a future star. This never materialized.
He lives in Canada for a start, but he hasn't the size for IC level. Very similar to Alan Cadogan but smaller. We've had quite a few of those type of players over the last few years. They don't work.

I don't think that is quite true.
Absolutely his focus with the current team is championship but as a Limerick man he will not want to leave his county totally uncompetitive when this team moves on.
I agree he won't but to say this team will need replacing in a Yr or two is wrong for me. I agreed with one of your posts a few weeks ago that it's hard to keep going but the age profile suggests there's more than one or two years left in the majority of these Limerick players.
Also there's 4 players outside of cian lynch and p casey that will be pushing hard to start but to be fair outside of cathal o Neill and Adam English it would be hard to see the others start, nonetheless there's plenty of talent there yet.

One issue maybe coming down the line is where's the new backs coming from all I can see is forwards coming through.

While I agree with most things, the tappy tappy stuff is here to stay as its just a part of the new style of hurling. Inter-county demands every player 1-15 to be outstanding on the ball, and if your not up to standard you'll be found out fairly lively.

The reality is we're looking to find the perfect balance between tippy tappy and long ball. We saw both ends of the spectrum last year with Cork. We jogged around the Pairc against Limerick passing the ball laterally and getting nowhere and were embarrassed. Then against Galway we seemed to go long the whole game into Tim and Connolly and it was another disaster.

Limerick have that perfect balance at the moment. Barry Nash especially will carry a load of ball from the half back line and play short passes into his half back line, before receiving a one two and delivering into the FF line. Limerick also do a lot of short balls out of defence into WOD and DOD in mindfield who are excellent distributors and find a Limerick forward in space.

On the other side, Limerick forwards are well able to win their own ball. I think Hegarty and Hayes won something like 22 puckouts between them in the All Ireland. Hegarty, Hayes, Morrissey and Lynch depending on who's playing their are all well able to win their own ball and pop over 3-4 points each per game. Likewise Gillane and Flanagan are comfortable winning the ball both high and low.

As I've mentioned many times I'm a big fan of Pat Ryan, and his u20 sides had a good mixture of both styles. I think we really need to step up the running game in our forward line. We have some phenomenal runners in our squad, we just need to find a way to utilise their talents, and see more off the shoulder running and driving into the game that way.

For me, there's not one fella who is/should be a guaranteed starter. Few lads have been coasting along for a while now and we need a shake up. I believe Ryan will do that, but Rome wasn't built in a day and we need to be patient with Ryan and the players.
Just for clarity there’s tippy tappy and there’s the crap we were at last year until the waterford championship game. One is part of the game while the other was a delusional decision to even contemplate never mind implement.

I agree he won't but to say this team will need replacing in a Yr or two is wrong for me. I agreed with one of your posts a few weeks ago that it's hard to keep going but the age profile suggests there's more than one or two years left in the majority of these Limerick players.
Also there's 4 players outside of cian lynch and p casey that will be pushing hard to start but to be fair outside of cathal o Neill and Adam English it would be hard to see the others start, nonetheless there's plenty of talent there yet.

One issue maybe coming down the line is where's the new backs coming from all I can see is forwards coming through.
Limatlast.
I don't think it is age that catches up with players usually but miles on the clock. Players focus changes over time as I have said before. I have been told that a couple of players are considering doing some travelling in 2023 but that may be completely untrue.
However, it is difficult for any group of players to stay completely focused and enthusiastic over a prolonged period.
These lads have already given a substantial part of their youth to Limerick hurling.

This is true of all teams, the challenge gets greater as the years go by and the pack starts nipping at your heels.
Giving youth a chance in the league makes sense from every point of view for Limerick.

I think 2022 was more competitive than 2021 and I think next year will be more difficult again for every team.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Eoin Jordan & Stan Notte
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

11th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase

The Roundy, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼