Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Collins was poor against Galway and didn’t have a great year overall but the same could be said for many other players. The amount of missed chances at the other end against Galway was insane. I think he deserves a chance to right the wrongs after just his second season (nominated for an All Star in his first) and not be discarded like many on here want. I know little about being a goalkeeper but I’d imagine it’s not a help either when we never had a settled full back all year.
Completely agree, All keepers are under the spot light more so than anyone on the pitch. Collins hasn't had a great season but I'd back him to bounce back but needs help from management by picking a solid back 6 that doesn't play around in the back line too much and provide a better standard of coaching. Do IC teams have specific goal keeping coaches? Could someone like a Donal Og, Nash, Ger Cunningham offer some support in this regard ?

Don't think anyone was suggesting Collins get dropped completely from the squad (apologies if there was). The big concern though is that there didn't seem to be viable competition for his place (only his brother) and as such he may have been "resting on the oars" a little bit. Another keeper in actively vying for the position of number 1 number 1 would bring them both to a higher level I think, and ultimately be better for the team.

The fact that if Cork had progressed against Galway, Collins who apart from dropping the lob into his own net (it can happen but hopefully will never ever happen him again in a Cork jersey) was beaten by a shot from the end-line would still be in goal for Cork for the next round because there was no viable alternative was a major concern imho

Don't think anyone was suggesting Collins get dropped completely from the squad (apologies if there was). The big concern though is that there didn't seem to be viable competition for his place (only his brother) and as such he may have been "resting on the oars" a little bit. Another keeper in actively vying for the position of number 1 number 1 would bring them both to a higher level I think, and ultimately be better for the team.

The fact that if Cork had progressed against Galway, Collins who apart from dropping the lob into his own net (it can happen but hopefully will never ever happen him again in a Cork jersey) was beaten by a shot from the end-line would still be in goal for Cork for the next round because there was no viable alternative was a major concern imho
The not having "viable competition" for his place theory doesn't hold up, none of the best gks have this do they?
Don't see anyone threatening Quaid...
It's not particularly clever to think that destabilising your gk is a good move.

Patrick Collins is the best gk in the county, no question about that.
As far as I'm aware that's not something any other gk in the county would challenge.

They mightn't challenge it openly but one suspects there would be a number that would question it at least amongst team mates or friends, certainly after his performance against Galway. But I suppose that's just on the shot-stopping aspect and we've seen taht the tactics have moved on and distribution and sweeping in and around the FB line is a factor too. What do you think are his best attributes given that you think he's the best GK in the county? I'd have Cathal Hickey every bit as good tbh but I do acknowledge that there may be a bit of club bias influencing that.

The not having "viable competition" for his place theory doesn't hold up, none of the best gks have this do they?
Don't see anyone threatening Quaid...
It's not particularly clever to think that destabilising your gk is a good move.

Seriously???

You think that a relatively new keeper, and one who has had some mixed performances to date, should now be left in place until he retires rather than "destabilising" him :oops:

Seriously???

You think that a relatively new keeper, and one who has had some mixed performances to date, should now be left in place until he retires rather than "destabilising" him :oops:
No, that's what you're saying.

What I'm saying is that Patrick Collins is the best gk in the county. He's young enough and will learn from his mistakes.

Scoping around to find someone to "challenge" him, because of a high profile error v Galway, is not a constructive way to bring him up another level

Last edited:
Patrick Collins is the best gk in the county, no question about that.
As far as I'm aware that's not something any other gk in the county would challenge.

He possibly is but there is certainly a question mark over him. My worry about him is that I don't think he learns from mistakes and that his shot stopping is quite poor.

I have never seen an inter county keeper get hooked and blocked to the extent that Collins does. Both goals against Galway should have been stopped, as should Kielys goal for Waterford where Collins saved the initial Waterford shot back out to the incoming Kielys path.

Is his brother really the second best goalkeeper in the county as well? And even if so, is it wise to have 2 brothers in competition for 1 position where 1 brother already seems entrenched in the position.

I honestly believe that goalkeeper is a position where we need serious upgrading. I have my doubts that either Collins can step up enough but of course they should be afforded every opportunity. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be casting the net far and wide. Club championship starts shortly- perfect place to begin.

He possibly is but there is certainly a question mark over him. My worry about him is that I don't think he learns from mistakes and that his shot stopping is quite poor.

I have never seen an inter county keeper get hooked and blocked to the extent that Collins does. Both goals against Galway should have been stopped, as should Kielys goal for Waterford where Collins saved the initial Waterford shot back out to the incoming Kielys path.

Is his brother really the second best goalkeeper in the county as well? And even if so, is it wise to have 2 brothers in competition for 1 position where 1 brother already seems entrenched in the position.
We had excellent goalkeepers in the past. Nash, Cusack, Cunningham so anything less is viewed as a failure. Patrick Collins didn’t inspire confidence, and that affects performance of the whole team.Kingston was very slow to change anything, but we have options now. Limerick, Galway and Kilkenny have star goalkeepers and we should aim for that level!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Eoin Jordan & Stan Notte
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

11th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Not Another Disco

The Pavilion, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼