Cork Hurlers - Part 2

why should he have to

he is a fringe player who wasnt even the most important player on his underage sides and hasnt even remotely established whether he can play intercounty yet here we are years into a fucking debate about the lad
It was a tongue in cheek reply and that’s exactly why I said it, why should he have to

What does his importance on his underage teams have to do with anything?

So let’s give him a proper chance to show is he good enough or not and we might not have to debate about the lad so much 🤣

But that’s the keepers being judged at the end of their careers looking back. I seem to recall Cusack taking an awful lot of criticism in his earlier years. He also got beaten at a very tight angle by Eoin Kelly coming in on the endline in the 2004 Munster Final.
Nash got lots of criticism in his last few years for his puckouts. I’m too young to remember how Cunningham was regarded in the early days but goalkeeping was simpler then with nearly all long puck outs.

Eoin Murphy has been heavily criticised the last few years for his puck outs although he’s a brilliant shot stopper.
Nicky Quaid is highly rated now and the best in the game but that has only been in the last few years really that he’s getting that praise.
Most keepers seem to need time to fully settle into the position. That doesn’t mean Patrick shouldn’t be challenged but I think he did well enough last year to have the chance to correct the Galway performance next year.
🤔
Afaicr GC shipped a lot of stick in his early days with Cork too.

He had a huge puckout, regularly landed them behind the opposition half back line. All goalies just walloped the ball long back then, in fact all players did too, made for a much more instinctive game

Cunningham was a great keeper, his save in '90 final, albeit with his nose, was crucial in Cork winning.

It seems to me that Ger Cunningham‘s standing has grown through the years. Certainly when he arrived on the scene first he was seen as flaky. He was never commanding in the air despite his height in an era when you had to be. He certainly had way more than one episode of a high ball landing behind him. A terrific shot stopper there can be no doubt about that and he obviously worked very hard on his game because he became more dependable as the years went by. I never saw him as anywhere near being absolutely top drawer though. There were always calls for him to be replaced, particularly down Midleton Way. Those calls were legitimate in my view because Ger Power probably had the edge on him for some of those years.

His puck outs were amazingly long but they played right into the hands of Kilkenny in 1983 and 1992 when he turned Ger Henderson and Pat O’Neill into stars by constantly putting the ball past the centre back but the two lads just dropped back and mopped up everything. This was a particular problem in 1983 when Cork had a huge wind in the second half and Tom Cashman, Pat Horgan and particularly John Fenton, all of them great ball strikers, were screaming for the ball around the halfway line but he kept going long. So much for Cork always having cuteness on the sideline. 1990 was a tour de force performance but it was his clearances, not puck outs, and of course saves that made the difference. Galway didn’t have time to set themselves in position for his clearances and Cork created wreck from them. A great servant to Cork without a doubt but for me Cusack was a steadier keeper. That should go down well here but Cusack was up against Cummins, Davy and particularly Damien Fitzhenry in his day and they were all fabulous keepers. I think they drove each other on and there was certainly nothing comparable to them in Cunningham’s day. I think it was easier for him to stand out in a way.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

3 Of A Kind

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼