Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Kingston was putting about 50 hours a week into what is pretty much a voluntary role. The selectors would put in something similar and I can only imagine all the headspace it takes up outside of that too.

If you feel you're giving your life over to Cork hurling and you're genuinely trying really hard and fellas are taking easy potshots and making you out to be "clueless" then it's not unreasonable to pushback even if some of it looks a bit bitter from the outside.

At the more troll_Y end of the spectrum you had fellas on here obsessed with Sully wearing shorts as if it was a sign he wasn't worthy of his role. Most players or management don't mind criticism if there's a logic to it but when it becomes irrational, abusive and senseless, that's hard to take.
I seem to remember Sean Og criticising Denis Walsh in his book for wearing shorts.

Edit found quote.
"Sometimes in training Denis would tog out himself. I thought it was a way of showing off that he still had it. I wasn’t buying that, anyway."

Pat Ryan confirmed as next Cork coach.. happy?
Hear very positive words about his coaching. His back room team will be interesting. I can see Sherlock\ furlong and maybe Donal O Mahony

Last edited:
I'm delighted with that appointment lads. Wonder who he will bring in with him. Definitely Sherlock anyway I'd say. Wonder will he approach Ben O Connor!!

It looks like the whole offering Kingston a 1 one year extension could have been a ruse with Kingston in on it too. Let the media and the supporters lose their mind while we concentrate on getting Ryan to commit. It was all done with such speed it had to have been a set up surely. Maybe I'm giving the board too much credit. Regardless however this came about its the correct decision and a new exiting era begins in Cork.

With regards some of the old backroom team commenting on the media about criticism they got. Criticism is a part of sport and a part of life in general. If you put your name out in the public then it goes with the territory. Once the criticism isn't personal and derogatory then I see no issue with it. Tactics, style, team selection, analysing mistakes, analysing behaviour and discipline are all fair game in my opinon.

Agreed. An interesting read and maybe he is right I some aspects. Maybe there is lazy journalism and commentary and if that is done by ex Cork players, then it should not happen. Mind you I do recall the Rock, some years ago having a cut off Meyler.

The only one I can think of that Mulchahy is referring to is Landers on Dalo's podcast.
Teddy Mc had a few words in the Echo after the Limk. game, but other then that most ex. Cork players were fairly balanced.
There's not that many that are regulars on the media circuit to be honest, Seanie McGrath, Eoin Cad's, Cusack?
If anything I find Cusack overly positive about Cork these days

The only one I can think of that Mulchahy is referring to is Landers on Dalo's podcast.
Teddy Mc had a few words in the Echo after the Limk. game, but other then that most ex. Cork players were fairly balanced.
There's not that many that are regulars on the media circuit to be honest, Seanie McGrath, Eoin Cad's, Cusack?
Id say Teddy stung a few when he said he left the Limerick game midway through the second half,
But at all levels if you put yourself forward to coach you are open to criticism,
I know of one U11 camogie coach who was slated by some parents for picking a couple of girls for a match
who were not at the standard of the other girls,

I'm delighted with that appointment lads. Wonder who he will bring in with him. Definitely Sherlock anyway I'd say. Wonder will he approach Ben O Connor!!

It looks like the whole offering Kingston a 1 one year extension could have been a ruse with Kingston in on it too. Let the media and the supporters lose their mind while we concentrate on getting Ryan to commit. It was all done with such speed it had to have been a set up surely. Maybe I'm giving the board too much credit. Regardless however this came about its the correct decision and a new exiting era begins in Cork.

With regards some of the old backroom team commenting on the media about criticism they got. Criticism is a part of sport and a part of life in general. If you put your name out in the public then it goes with the territory. Once the criticism isn't personal and derogatory then I see no issue with it. Tactics, style, team selection, analysing mistakes, analysing behaviour and discipline are all fair game in my opinon.
Donal O Mahony maybe?
One of Furlong or Mulcahy will stay on I'd guess - probably depending on how their relationship is with Pat Ryan - maybe the other would take over the U20's next year - you'd imaging Furlong might be keen on that role.
Fraggy would also be in consideration you'd imagine given the Sars' link but he's lined up for the minor role so he'll surely stay on for that.
Last interesting point would be how is the relationship between Ben O'Connor & Pat Mul. nowadays, have things settled down in Newtown, hopefully it has.
Overall I think it's positive that Ryan is in place before the club championships get underway, and I'd imagine he'll have 80% of his backroom team in place before it throws in - which can only be a good thing.

I was about to post something similar. We have an amazing amateur sport here so it should absolutely have different rules to the likes of that shit show across the water. I would always temper criticism myself as they are lads making massive sacrifices to represent us, but at the same time I almost always feel the national media get that too and criticism is measured, reasonable, and avoids getting personal

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Independently (I'd not visited this thread yet) wrote on the other thread practically the same word for word with regard to the ruse. Even used that term. Great minds and all that :ROFLMAO:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

10th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼