Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I don't think anyone is getting carried away.
Cork v Tipp is always box office.
If we win, it's a slightly longer Summer.
If we lose, it's all done.

But we can all agree, no matter the 15, no matter the doubts, the frustration, bating Tipp in Thurles never gets old.

I think Corcaigh by 4. Rebels Abú!!!!

Cahalane seemed to spend the majority of the game over the far side of the field away from the stand side where I was. Sometimes when that happens I find you'd be paying more attention to the duals closest you and not enough attention on the guys furthest away and it could cloud your judgement especially in a tight claustrophobic "stadium/hole". I guess that's how I formed my opinion on Sunday night.
🤔
"Duels".

Selection of top players in country right now:

Peter Dugga
Tony Kelly
John Conlon
Sean O'donoghue
Will O'Donoghue (Lim)
TJ Reid
Eoin Cody
Gearóid Hegarty (Lim)
Cian Lynch (Lim)
Dessie Hutchinson
Diarmuid Byrnes (Lim)
Tom Morrisey (Lim)
Rory O'connor
Conor Wheelan
Shane Conway
Conor Lehane

Saying that Limerick have all the top 10 players in the country is an absolutely ludicrous statement.
They probably have 3 or 4 in top 10. With other counties having 1 or 2 (Cork, Clare, Kilkenny, etc)
I think we have seen how little can be read into performances in the league.
It is players that consistently perform in the white heat of championship games that deserve the credit of being amongst the best hurlers.
Lehane is a strange one , he was brilliant for some years, then poor for a few more and has come back strong so far this year.

Peter Dugga
Tony Kelly
John Conlon
Sean O'donoghue
Will O'Donoghue (Lim)
TJ Reid
Eoin Cody
Gearóid Hegarty (Lim)
Cian Lynch (Lim)
Dessie Hutchinson
Diarmuid Byrnes (Lim)
Tom Morrisey (Lim)
Rory O'connor
Conor Wheelan
Shane Conway
Conor Lehane

Saying that Limerick have all the top 10 players in the country is an absolutely ludicrous statement.
They probably have 3 or 4 in top 10. With other counties having 1 or 2 (Cork, Clare, Kilkenny, etc)

Shane Conway is not even the best hurler in Kerry anymore. Podge Boyle has taken over on frees and i'd argue Fionan Mackessy would walk onto any county in the country, probably including Limerick.

Peter Dugga
Tony Kelly
John Conlon
Sean O'donoghue
Will O'Donoghue (Lim)
TJ Reid
Eoin Cody
Gearóid Hegarty (Lim)
Cian Lynch (Lim)
Dessie Hutchinson
Diarmuid Byrnes (Lim)
Tom Morrisey (Lim)
Rory O'connor
Conor Wheelan
Shane Conway
Conor Lehane

What is ludicrous is not having at least 1 of the Limerick full back line in there. Could argue for any of those 3.

Excluding Aaron Gillane is ludicrous also. Conway or Lehane over him is laughable.

I saw Mark Colemans name mentioned which is odd.

To me the team just looked so much better with TOM as a potential ball winner, scorer, creator. Sadly from Hoggies perspective, he can no longer do this. By all means give him 20 mins, especially if Connolly tires. I think Kingston has to start instead of Barrett, although I fully accept you lose the impact off the bench. I would have himself and Lehane rotate a lot between the full and half forward lines.

Fitzy needs to maintain the moments of brilliance he showed and if anything build on them. Our defence as a unit played very well last Sunday and we shouldn’t be too quick to put it down to Waterfords malfunction. Same again on Sunday please. And lastly, more longer puck outs - at least a good mix between short (20%) middle (40%) and long (40%). We can do this.

Peter Dugga
Tony Kelly
John Conlon
Sean O'donoghue
Will O'Donoghue (Lim)
TJ Reid
Eoin Cody
Gearóid Hegarty (Lim)
Cian Lynch (Lim)
Dessie Hutchinson
Diarmuid Byrnes (Lim)
Tom Morrisey (Lim)
Rory O'connor
Conor Wheelan
Shane Conway
Conor Lehane

Limerick have Cian Lynch, Gearoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes and Aaron Gillane who all have to be in any top 10, throw in Tony Kelly, Aussie Gleeson, TJ Reid and Conor Whelan and you are a long way towards your 10

Other counties would have 2 or 3 who might be worth a shout for the last 2 places whereas Limerick would have 6 or 7, that is the reality and that makes for stark reading for the rest of us

What is ludicrous is not having at least 1 of the Limerick full back line in there. Could argue for any of those 3.

Excluding Aaron Gillane is ludicrous also. Conway or Lehane over him is laughable.

I saw Mark Colemans name mentioned which is odd.
I should have included Gillane in that list. Thats an ommission.
Im not convinced by the Limerick full back line. Not as strong as 2 or 3 years ago. They leak goals and can be got at with pace. They get very well protected with the 5 or 6 in front of them, and Quaid behind them.
Whatever about the last 10 years, right now, Lehane is one of the top players in the country. He's in all-star form this year. And, consistent.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

8th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

The Old Moderns

Clancys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼