Cork Footballers

Agree with a lot of what has been said here. Louth first and foremost destroyed the game with their approach, the sooner we see the end of that BS the better for the game, before rules have to be tweaked further.

The worst thing was, when they actually pushed up on the kickouts at 65mins, it looked like there would have been a pretty even contest.

On a day like today, can't understand why we didn't get shooters out to the 45, instead of trying to work it inside. It seemed like anyone except the FF line are coached not to shoot. Taylor had numerous decent chances today and just looked for a handpass. Our HB/midfield don't realistically pose a point scoring threat from 30+ yards so it makes defending against us a whole lot easier, especially for teams setting up like Louth.

Can't remember McSweeney making one forward kick pass, not what you need from no.11. Get Powter into CF to try to break the lines, not sure we have a genuine playmaking option at 11, so playing another 10/12 isn't benefitting us at all.

Drawing Limerick will do this team no good in the long run.
Agree. Be like playing Tipp I'm 2020. Take what we get and sink or swim.

Not for me, he hasn't played a competitive Senior Inter County football game yet, I def don't want his 1st game back after a cruciate to be next weekend
West Cork Gaol has informed us Conor tore his quad weeks back so it's not going to happen but it was only as a sub I had him in mind anyway which I stated. I heard he is well recovered from the cruciate and that 4/5 months ago he could run fast in straight lines and his fitness levels were good but twisting and turning is the issue with cruciate. Not playing inter-county until next year doesn't help, he's better off playing short stints of 10 to 15 minutes from now to fully recover.

The reality is the half-forward line needs changing and the best option IMO is to move Sean Powter to centre-forward as someone suggested on here and start Brian Hayes at 12. I would go with Eoin McSweeney in the other wing-forward role because he can kick a point above Dineen or O'Rourke. This would mean Tadhg Corkery starting corner-back.

The other option is to start Paul Walsh mid-field and move Colm O'Callaghan back to wing-forward with Brian Hayes also starting.

Finally it may be time to start Blake Murphy again anywhere in the half-forward line as he has so much natural football.

The latter options would still mean pushing Sean Powter up-field at least into the half-back line.

A long shot option would be to play Killian O'Hanlon in the half-forward line.

It will be interesting to see what the selectors will do next week.

Last edited:
What’s the point of playing McSweeney center forward and not having him shoot the ball
Hayes needs to come in for the next day and cahalane woulda been good to put on today he can create chances
O Rourke had a bad day but that was an awful game of whatever that was called it’s not football anymore

watching some of the young minors on Wed night like Gillespie, Myers and Hayes kick points from distance would make you wonder what the hell is the matter with the Cork half forward line. I have seen each of McSweeney, O Rourke and Dineen kick scores in the past so is it management telling them not to shoot and recycle ball until we can get one of Hurley, Sherlock and O Mahony on it ? is it more a lack of confidence in shooting ?

If Cork had shown the balls to take more outside shots yesterday even with a 30% conversion rate from those shots we could have won that game by 10 points. Louth were not putting the players under such pressure that they couldn’t get a shot off. It must be the coaching or the game plan as McSweeney kicked a beauty from the right hand side against Kerry so why can’t he do that 3 or 4 times in each game ? Cian Kiely scored a long range beauty to level the Offaly league game so why would we not stick him in there as a wing forward as his natural half back instincts would also allow him to do the defensive aspects of the No 10 or No12 role. For me O Rourke and Dineen are two fine footballers playing in a straight-jacket - it must be an absolutely horrible role to get in that team.

For me if we are to progress we must add something to our game plan which is to shoot from further out more often especially against defensive teams. Even if we miss we can do an immediate high press on the opposition kick out and keep the pressure on them - it surely has to be better for the players we have and give us a more varied form of attack

watching some of the young minors on Wed night like Gillespie, Myers and Hayes kick points from distance would make you wonder what the hell is the matter with the Cork half forward line. I have seen each of McSweeney, O Rourke and Dineen kick scores in the past so is it management telling them not to shoot and recycle ball until we can get one of Hurley, Sherlock and O Mahony on it ? is it more a lack of confidence in shooting ?

If Cork had shown the balls to take more outside shots yesterday even with a 30% conversion rate from those shots we could have won that game by 10 points. Louth were not putting the players under such pressure that they couldn’t get a shot off. It must be the coaching or the game plan as McSweeney kicked a beauty from the right hand side against Kerry so why can’t he do that 3 or 4 times in each game ? Cian Kiely scored a long range beauty to level the Offaly league game so why would we not stick him in there as a wing forward as his natural half back instincts would also allow him to do the defensive aspects of the No 10 or No12 role. For me O Rourke and Dineen are two fine footballers playing in a straight-jacket - it must be an absolutely horrible role to get in that team.

For me if we are to progress we must add something to our game plan which is to shoot from further out more often especially against defensive teams. Even if we miss we can do an immediate high press on the opposition kick out and keep the pressure on them - it surely has to be better for the players we have and give us a more varied form of attack
I'd agree with that. My caveat is that it's not possible to get a team playing the perfect range of tactical set ups in one year. You have to build up until certain aspects become second nature, and then layer other bits in.

It's grand for us to be saying the half forwards should be able to do x, y and z, but the physical and mental toll of tracking back and counter attacking they're asked to do makes it harder initially to have the composure to then sit back and knock over long range points.

Certainly since Clearly has taken the reigns, there's been a focus on making sure were somewhat defensively solid. Often when that happens, it takes a year or two for a team to be able to attack fluidly.

That’s definitely the management telling them to recycle and find the shooters. The game has become obsessed with numbers now. After every game each player will be told his stats and the team will be told theirs as a collective and managements are making decisions by it.

You only need watch a few of the games in Ulster to see how stats are everything. Possession for the sake of it and going backwards to keep a stat better. It’s gone too far this direction.

Yesterday was a bit of a rare case though in that Louth made no attempt at all to press outside their own 45. It’s hard to get shots off in that case and impossible to kick good longer kick passes into a crowd.

I’d like to see players encouraged to try things once they get into the opposition half. There’s plenty of a distance to get back and recover possession. Take risks. After all, no risk, no reward. At the moment only the full forward line have that licence but opposition teams will see it and double mark all 3 and take their chances with the others.

Can't understand lads looking for Limerick. What good is it getting to a QF against a provincial champ having beaten two promoted division 3 sides? Not that we can expect to roll past them, but it's another hiding to nothing where the team get little credit if they win and torn to shreds if they lose.

If we're going to face a division 1 side, better it be next week. Kildare could be vulnerable as most Leinster sides are after a Dublin battering. We should be able to compete with the Rossies, but nothing to suggest we've closed the gap sufficiently since league. Donegal are not quite Kerry, but would almost certainly overpower us.
I assume it’s like any team in any competition, you want to draw the weakest team possible thus giving your side the best chance of progressing to the next round.
Also (if they were to beat limerick) it gives cork another chance to look at fellas in different positions, bring other players in and help develop these lads as a unit. Has been a broken few years and would be great to see a more settled team coming together.

Beat Limerick and you’re into a QF in Croke Park I think? Most of these lads haven’t experienced championship there, so would be a huge positive to get that far and get the experience of playing there in championship.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Roy Orbison Reborn starring Dean Bourne

Cork Opera House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼