Cork Footballers

Ask the question again in 3 years not after 3 months! This has to be the last rebuild since 2014/15 that goes nowhere…the vast majority of this squad is early 20’s and need time..let’s hear from you in 36 months!

I will say it again the list of injured players we have and it continues has to be questioned why is it happening look at Kerry and other very few injured we have as pointed out tonight upwards on 15 out ...we would i would guess hold our own easy enough in div 2 if all our players were fit to play ...
I don't know for sure why. But I would guess a pediatric orthopedic surgeon might say that one contributory factor is that we're giving the very best players too much of it physically at club/college/county level between the ages of 15 and 20, and they are developing long-term chronic physical vulnerabilities simply from over-use before skeletal growth has finished. I've had reason to do reading about this over the years, and there are real physical differences prior to growth completing that makes the body more vulnerable to over-use injuries. And there are aspects about Cork that may make it worse in Cork than in most other counties (though I suspect it's happening to an extent in most counties). I'm not an expert - I am speculating, and I'm not in a position to prove anything - but I do wonder....

Last edited:
Asking because I don't know. Are the players given S&C programs to do on their own? If so, are there trainers monitoring those? In football, moreso than hurling, we have players from every corner of the county. My question - are there lads on their own squatting and dead-lifting on their own gyms all over the county. Minor differences in form can affect whether a player gets injured or not. Or worse yet, are lads squatting and not dead-lifting i.e. lifting weights in an unbalanced way? Could the injury problems come from something as simple as not doing the S&C in pods?

I would think the issue is lack of monitoring and lack of commitment from players over the 12 month period, fellas go back to their clubs and who knows what happens then they all meet up again in December, add in the additional games these fellas play as so many are dual club players……hopefully this has changed. In addition we have had a massive turn over of conditioning coaches over the last 10 years, I understand we are back know to the fella Ronan McCarthy had for 2 years until he was replaced by the fella smyth from lapis the last 2 years……lack of conditioning doesn’t excuse having no kickout plan or defensive system

I would think the issue is lack of monitoring and lack of commitment from players over the 12 month period, fellas go back to their clubs and who knows what happens then they all meet up again in December, add in the additional games these fellas play as so many are dual club players……hopefully this has changed. In addition we have had a massive turn over of conditioning coaches over the last 10 years, I understand we are back know to the fella Ronan McCarthy had for 2 years until he was replaced by the fella smyth from lapis the last 2 years……lack of conditioning doesn’t excuse having no kickout plan or defensive system
It doesn't, but having your best players consistently out with injuries isn't helping either. This forum is a bit reactionary at times, but it's the only place I see the question of Cork Football's injury-crisis discussed. At the risk of hearing from somebody's "reliable source," does anybody know if anybody within management is looking into this issue? And yes, are they doing something about kickout and defensive strategies either?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Funny Fridays Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Shlomo Franklin

The Richmond Revival, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼