Cork Footballers

I said this to a colleague in the Páirc tonight and it’s something that is known but not mentioned as much as it should be. The Cork footballers must be the worst supported team in the country. In a county with at least a hundred clubs where football is played to a decent level it’s very hard to understand.
There was a decent attendance earlier but that and more should be the norm and isn’t. If the football clubs actually weighed in and supported this team with backsides on seats then it would help. But like many here I know dozens of people heavily involved in football clubs who rarely make the effort to attend county games.
That’s discounting the hurling snobs who walk out the gate at double headers when football is on of course.
Anyway, Cork are building and have improved drastically from day 1 of this league. I think 8 or 9 different scores too from glancing at my much scribbled on programme.
A big attendance and a good game in Killarney would be a most welcome turn up for the books.

Bang on the money @intothewest. Let's start with Football people in County Cork supporting the county team, speaking in everyday conversation of the county team with positive hope for upcoming competitions - take your hope to matches with courage, encourage others to do the same, bring your children. These players and management are there doing their utmost. Fine to have, and to express with respect, opinions on what they might do differently (we all have those opinions). But support 'em. Some players might say they are doing it for themselves. Don't believe them - our support matters to them.

The plan is to beat Limerick first, and if successful there then to go down to Kerry and beat them down there for the first time in almost 30 years. The Cork team needs support in those matches - for both themselves, and for the ref (we have a counter-attacking running game, and so opposing teams will stop our runners fair or foul to give their defenders time to reset - not that we're saints either, but the ref needs our supporters to be calling for cards for outfield delaying fouls early). Support if winning and support if losing, support if we're hammering 'em and support to the end if it all goes tits up.

And fair dues to you @intothewest, as you will naturally be wanting Kerry to win the Munster Championship and AI. We'll do our best to eliminate the threat of Limerick for ye, but if successful there we'll be looking to take ye down.

Again tho, as I have cautioned others, Limerick is the biggest threat to us right now, and they're the focus now.

Every Cork fan should be pulling out all the stops to make it down to the Limerick and then hopefully the big one in Killarney. These Cork boys need a full house in Killarney, we can easily out number Kerry down there if we travel in numbers. I believe this team will rise to the challenge and occasion. I'd fear we could struggle at times against teams we are expected to beat but I've no fear of them taking on the big boys and taking the fight to them. Here's to a long summer

Michael O Neill of Buttevant i see is back playing with his club a star player along with Corbett on the Minor All Ireland winning team of 2019....has had is injurys wonder could we see him in the future with the County.
Another great prospect Daniel O Connell from Kanturk did cruciate 2 times anyone know how he is now,.. great lad.

Michael O Neill of Buttevant i see is back playing with his club a star player along with Corbett on the Minor All Ireland winning team of 2019....has had is injurys wonder could we see him in the future with the County.
Another great prospect Daniel O Connell from Kanturk did cruciate 2 times anyone know how he is now,.. great lad.
Played Midfield. Good to see players back from Injury.

Despite the one sided nature of the fight, we have never been afraid of kerry and similarly they have never taken us for granted and when they did it came back to bite them. Let's hope we can produce this year as we have last year's experience to build on. Let's send Limerick packing and then all guns blazing for killarney.

That's paywalled guapo. Anyway around that?
Seán Powter: Cork taking pride in silencing the detractors
Winless, pointless, and relegation threatened after their opening three games, Cork finished their Division 2 spring a great deal smarter than they opened it
TACKLING THE CRITICS: The Cork footballers are slowly giving the middle finger to their doubters and critics, Seán Powter has said.
TUE, 26 MAR, 2024 - 12:50
EOGHAN CORMICAN

The Cork footballers are slowly giving the middle finger to their doubters and critics, Seán Powter has said.
Last summer aside, negative commentary has been a permanent hitch at the back of the Cork football bus in recent campaigns.
Indeed, when the forward step of last summer, and the All-Ireland series victories it included over Mayo, Roscommon, and Louth, as well as going the distance with Kerry, was followed by two steps back at the beginning of this year’s league, that negativity quickly resurfaced once more.
Winless, pointless, and relegation threatened after their opening three games, Cork finished their Division 2 spring a great deal smarter than they opened it.

The three-in-a-row wins over Fermanagh, Kildare, and Meath, followed by Saturday’s sharing of spoils with promoted Armagh, is the latest “middle finger” Cork response to those who continually doubt them.
“It is very hard,” replied Powter when asked how difficult it is to shut out the less than complimentary conversation that typically follows Cork football.
“Thankfully, I live up in Limerick at the moment, so I can drive away up the road and no one knows Cork football.
"But I know from being here when Cork got relegated before (2019), you are going out for coffee and there are people saying, ‘Jesus, what happened to ye at the weekend, Jesus, ye were bad’ kind of thing. That does niggle at you, that does kind of chip away at you.
“It depends how you spin it in your own head. You can go, ‘I am going to show them’, or you can go, ‘maybe they are right’. We as a group kind of wanted to give the middle finger to everyone who kinda doubted us, and thankfully we are doing that slowly.”

Read More​

Both leagues had many stars absent, but how many will return for the championship?

Turning that point on its head, Powter was most articulate when outlining the not-so-sizeable Cork football fraternity who they strive to deliver positive results for each time they cross inside the whitewash.

“With Cork football, you only have your family and I'd say 300-plus core Cork supporters who will go to Fermanagh with you, who will go everywhere with you. They are the people you are doing it for, your family, your friends, and those pure Cork football (supporters).
“When we play Kerry, the Dublins, the Cork people will come out then. But when we were in Division 3, they were the people you wanted to do it for, who support you in the dark times.”
Far more important, though, than answering their critics and giving their band of followers reason to cheer is where this group of players want to bring Cork football.
With relegation to Division 3 and Tailteann Cup involvement staved off, the group’s lightened load turning the corner into championship will allow them to restart the job they commenced last summer.
“With us and Cork football, we put ourselves into positions we don't want to be in. We, as a group and under John Cleary, try to redeem Cork football.
“Last year, we felt we took one step forward. Then at the start of this season, we took two or three steps back. We just wanted to get back on track after the Fermanagh game and thankfully we did.
“Now we are going into championship with an eye on Limerick, and hopefully an eye on Kerry in Killarney, with a, I won't say a free shot but a go at them.”
They are going into championship with confidence raised. Mind you, the four-game unbeaten run that has put colour back in the cheeks of the Cork camp was more by necessity than design.
“We are building very nicely. We felt we put ourselves into a box at the start, with the first three games, and we had to come out fighting. Thankfully, we did this time around,” Powter continued.
“I also think we got a bit of luck above in Fermanagh. Maurice's last-minute goal, if that was a couple of years ago, Fermanagh would have went up then and scored and we would have lost four on the bounce.
“With confidence, you see players expressing themselves and you could see in the last 15 minutes there against Armagh that our fellas just went playing football, which is kind of not associated with Cork football.
“We are going with confidence into championship, but last year we got caught to Clare in Ennis, so we are going to be very cautious this time around again.”

Daniel's cruciate sorted but I heard he now has a minor ankle injury and will be back with his club in weeks. A great prospect for sure.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Sweet East (NC)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th Apr 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼