Cork Footballers

I can’t stand the lack of change in the team selection but with regard to Powter isn’t it possible they are trying to avoid injury? The guy played at lot last year, I don’t think Cleary suddenly doesn’t rate him. I would think we’ll see him play a lot come Championship.

Era for ffs lads we could have the same discussion in the hurling thrend regarding East Cork and to be honest I think the real heart of football in Cork is in West Duhallow and West Muskerry it hits more there being on the borders with Kerry, low populations and playing in grades miles above themselves.

KnM
Uibh Laoire
Kocknagree
Kiskeam
Beal Atha
Naomh Aban
Rockchapel

West Cork is full of hippies. It is not the heart of Cork football. Somewhere like Clon woupd have a population bigger than all the clubs listed above combined.
Very committed to the football in those areas no doubt about it and they have produced many excellent players. I don’t agree that these clubs are the epicenter of Cork football though. I think there are individual clubs that have contributed more alone to Cork inter county football.
That’s not taking away from the brilliant clubs along the county bounds and the players thry produce. It will be interesting to see how many players from those clubs make the 2024 Cork minor football team and how Rebel og has helped to develop football in the area.

I can’t stand the lack of change in the team selection but with regard to Powter isn’t it possible they are trying to avoid injury? The guy played at lot last year, I don’t think Cleary suddenly doesn’t rate him. I would think we’ll see him play a lot come Championship.
No changes doesn’t inspire confidence that the team can develop over the league campaign as we all wanted them to.
Because of the awful displays and results, Cork management find themselves backed in a corner and it’s survival mode instead, with they needing to grind out results to stay in Div 2.
Even if they do grind and survive it comes with huge panel development and player progression costs in my opinion.

Playing him too much doesn't help him. Playing him too little has the same effect. He has to be able to manage the demands of the game. I thought he'd be used more and more as the league went on. If he is injured he shouldn't be named on panel.

Playing him too much doesn't help him. Playing him too little has the same effect. He has to be able to manage the demands of the game. I thought he'd be used more and more as the league went on. If he is injured he shouldn't be named on panel.
He isn’t injured…. He should be playing the most important matches like tomorrow

Time for some common sense here.

While I don't blame him for leaving the panel, I don't agree with you about his talent. I think we are putting Blake Murphy on a pedastal and I think there is a slight overreaction here.

It must be very frustrating for him and others especially when the management are selecting workers over forwards.

A very good player no doubt but he has been around the senior panel for a nice few years without making the breakthrough. There must be various factors in that, other than just not getting enough minutes.

Cathail O'Mahony has been our best underage talent imo in that period you mention and of that U20 team, Gore, Cronin and O'Mahony were more important, that's my opinion of course.
You post about common sense and the go ahead and post nonsense.

His talent is as good to have him at least playing 15/20 mins a game, if not starting on that team it's been highlighted over several pages of this thread one of our main issues is players not taking on a kick at goal.
Murphy is a two-legged kicker and not afraid to shoot. Does he shoot the ball wide and short? Yes he's not 100% perfect no one is.
It's a crime and insult making players travel long distances and put them on for 5/10 mins or less in a league match.

Another player and and one of the best kickers in the county - Sherlock is getting the same raw deal as Murphy did.
Two of the best kickers in the county can't start on the Cork team and one of our biggest issues is scoring.

While you mention Gore Cronin and O' Mahony with the U20 team which I absolutely agree Murphy had as much headlines or mentions as the 3 lads.

You post about common sense and the go ahead and post nonsense.

His talent is as good to have him at least playing 15/20 mins a game, if not starting on that team it's been highlighted over several pages of this thread one of our main issues is players not taking on a kick at goal.
Murphy is a two-legged kicker and not afraid to shoot. Does he shoot the ball wide and short? Yes he's not 100% perfect no one is.
It's a crime and insult making players travel long distances and put them on for 5/10 mins or less in a league match.

Another player and and one of the best kickers in the county - Sherlock is getting the same raw deal as Murphy did.
Two of the best kickers in the county can't start on the Cork team and one of our biggest issues is scoring.

While you mention Gore Cronin and O' Mahony with the U20 team which I absolutely agree Murphy had as much headlines or mentions as the 3 lads.
To be fair to Dday, we don’t know what’s going on most of the time and our opinions are limited to what we see.
And I don’t disagree with anything you say about him and Sherlock. It’s hard to understand how the 2 lads aren’t starting not to mind getting decent game time on a team that is struggling massively for scores with years.
It seems that players are being wedged into fitting a predetermined system/playing style, which is the easiest coaching method, versus a style of play being developed to get the maximum out of our best players like Billy did over and over.

Meath and cavan ended in a draw
Cavan dominated the second half
Tomorrow’s match is huge if we get a win should go to Meath with plenty of confidence

if we get a win should go to Meath with plenty of confidence
Confidence and Cork football are at opposite ends of the spectrum right now.
These 6 weeks could be some of the darkest in our history.
Unless Cork survive in Div 2 and then match at least last years championship then this year is a disaster.

Has gore left the panel or dropped even do he was an unused sub last weekend? Don’t blame any fella leaving tbh But perhaps time
For management to reflect perhaps?
The lack of game time for numbers 21,22,23,24,26 is unreal, no effort to actually build a panel, have we ever picked any other player in midfield bar Maguire and o’callaghan for example
This is a valid point but who would you play instead of the two lads in midfield? They are far and away the best midfielders in the county but I am worried for the day that one of them gets injured. No doubt Cleary will find some relation / bogger from west cork to fill the gap…

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Mark Lyndon
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

9th Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Tony Milner

The Welcome Inn, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼