Cork Footballers

Terrible indictment of Cork GAA. 5 league games played across hurling and football and 5 lost.
Hurlers might win a few games yet, the footballers are a dead duck already this year. The selection and tactics being used are prehistoric, I can’t believe the kickout strategy and it certainly lost us the game today. 1 point from the selected half forwards which we knew was going to happen, the lack of changes from the management is shocking and is demoralising for a lot of players on the squad, could we end up winning no game in the league? Handy excuse in place already for next weekend with the ‘long travel’ etc
And before the west cork crew bemoaning the county board come on, this squad and management team is getting everything they need and want, the fact they have picked people who are not making any real contribution is their own fault, it’ll be hilarious to see them do a warm weather camp for the fucking taliteann cup

Nobody can understand how a county with 40 clubs can beat one with 249 clubs.
Apart from that it appears that Cleary and Co. are well short of football know how and this modern game has passed them by.
A malfunctioning half forward line remain on the field for almost 60 minutes while David Buckley, Sean Powter, Fionn Herlihy, and Jack Cahalane sit idly on the bench.

It looks like this year is gone as far as promotion and I suspect we will struggle in Division 3 as well unless the management structures change.
Cork just don't do gaelic football now.

Imagine next weekend will be a tight one with Fermanagh, they took a hiding off Donegal today, but we’ve lost two tight games back to back so I wouldn’t be remotely confident.

If we do end up in the Tailteann Cup I hope it’s taken seriously, because we’ve let football get to the point where we’re not as far above some counties as we often like to think. We’ve been brutal for years so can’t really go looking down our noses at it. Cavan took it seriously and look at how they did today.

Nobody can understand how a county with 40 clubs can beat one with 249 clubs.
Apart from that it appears that Cleary and Co. are well short of football know how and this modern game has passed them by.
A malfunctioning half forward line remain on the field for almost 60 minutes while David Buckley, Sean Powter, Fionn Herlihy, and Jack Cahalane sit idly on the bench.

It looks like this year is gone as far as promotion and I suspect we will struggle in Division 3 as well unless the management structures change.
Cork just don't do gaelic football now.
The same reason a parish of 1000 people can beat a parish of 15000 people in a championship game structures structures structures. Sometimes being bigger is not an advantage.

I'm a dreaded 'hurling man myself' but I'm a bit concerned at this, since although I know nothing about football, it seemed to me that the team was progressing, having improved enormously last year. I'm not that concerned about the hurlers since you can see they're trying new things, weird positions, etc - they're using the league to experiment. Is that not what's going on with the footballers? Or are you looking at the same 15 guys in the same 15 positions all the time?

I'm concerned because Cork football has always been strong. Not my cup of tea, but even a clown like me could see that, were it not for sharing a province with Kerry, we were AI contenders most years. In the 23 years between 87 and 2010 we contested 9 AI finals - then in the last 13 years - none. At exactly teh same time we saddled ourselves with a huge debt, everything went to shit. Is that just a coincidence? Something is seriously wrong and I'm beginning to think it might be funding? Has the 30 mil debt impacted on the footballers first? Because if so, it'll surely come for the hurlers too.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼