Cork Footballers

Agreed, ODonovan was excellent in that final. The game was on in Clon, and it’s fair to say he impressed those in the upper echelons of power within the club so much that an informal approach was made to see if he would open to a transfer. I know the point was made to him that he could easily sit out 96 weeks with Barryroe while plying his trade with the college and also going on a J1. What came of that discussion I honestly don’t know.

What I do know is he would be far better off plying his trade in the red and green than he would be toiling with dregs in the west cork junior championship.
Here young fella, will you give up sport there for 2 years and head off on a J1 and shur leave all those Dregs behind and come to Cosmopolitan Clon, my name is the Fox, meet my pet Sheep Sandy.

Agreed, ODonovan was excellent in that final. The game was on in Clon, and it’s fair to say he impressed those in the upper echelons of power within the club so much that an informal approach was made to see if he would open to a transfer. I know the point was made to him that he could easily sit out 96 weeks with Barryroe while plying his trade with the college and also going on a J1. What came of that discussion I honestly don’t know.

What I do know is he would be far better off plying his trade in the red and green than he would be toiling with dregs in the west cork junior championship.
You are some pain in the hole. Would you ever STFU about clonakilty. Setup another thread if you must.

Ah sure he’s only having a laugh , I suspect he’s not even from Clon , probably someplace like Barryroe and he’s poking fun at some Clon stereotype as he see’s it ... it’s not serious stuff , it can’t be

Ah sure he’s only having a laugh , I suspect he’s not even from Clon , probably someplace like Barryroe and he’s poking fun at some Clon stereotype as he see’s it ... it’s not serious stuff , it can’t be
😂 ah come on now, I’ve been called some awful things on here by guys who dislike Clon but to call me a Barryroe man is just despicable, Timoleague would have been bad, but Barryroe!!?

I understand peoples unease with the idea of a young lad leaving a small club to play senior football. To be honest, I doesn’t really sit all that well with me either but in this case it makes sense. No offence to Barryroe but it’s highly unlikely they’ll ever leave the junior A grade. A guy like ODonovan needs exposure to senior football, and more than the half arsed championship games the Carbery footballers usually play.

😂 ah come on now, I’ve been called some awful things on here by guys who dislike Clon but to call me a Barryroe man is just despicable, Timoleague would have been bad, but Barryroe!!?

I understand peoples unease with the idea of a young lad leaving a small club to play senior football. To be honest, I doesn’t really sit all that well with me either but in this case it makes sense. No offence to Barryroe but it’s highly unlikely they’ll ever leave the junior A grade. A guy like ODonovan needs exposure to senior football, and more than the half arsed championship games the Carbery footballers usually play.
😂... keep it going , it’s a 😞 day , I needed a good laugh...I’ve a contact in the Comedy Club on McCurtain Street , I could get u a gig lampooning Barry from Blackrock or Deano from Douglas...you’re Con from Clon is priceless in fairness.....

Last edited:
I would have thought Barryroe have a nice crop of up and coming players due to their involvement with Ibane Gaels and their u21A success in Carbery. Or do most of their players come from Argideen Rangers Fox?

I would have thought Barryroe have a nice crop of up and coming players due to their involvement with Ibane Gaels and their u21A success in Carbery. Or do most of their players come from Argideen Rangers Fox?
There’s more talent in Timoleague no doubt. There’s a few nice young footballers in Barryroe along with Robbie Kiely but there’s not enough older guys to get out of west cork, never mind a county.

You could make an argument for Barryroe being a long term project but I don’t see it. They’re a hurling club, no great interest or tradition of football. Must be frustrating for the likes of ODonovan to go from playing in the upper grades with Ibane to being very much out of sight/mind with Barryroe once they finish with Ibane.

Hence why a move in the road to one of the most fertile production grounds of Cork footballers in recent years mightn’t be a bad move for him…😉

There’s more talent in Timoleague no doubt. There’s a few nice young footballers in Barryroe along with Robbie Kiely but there’s not enough older guys to get out of west cork, never mind a county.

You could make an argument for Barryroe being a long term project but I don’t see it. They’re a hurling club, no great interest or tradition of football. Must be frustrating for the likes of ODonovan to go from playing in the upper grades with Ibane to being very much out of sight/mind with Barryroe once they finish with Ibane.

Hence why a move in the road to one of the most fertile production grounds of Cork footballers in recent years mightn’t be a bad move for him…😉
This is very good stuff😁

I would disagree though....There is good talent coming through in Barryroe. Maybe not enough to get out of junior anytime soon, but they are going to be seriously competitive over the next few years. That U21 Ibane team was very much dominated by Barryroe rather than Timoleague.

Back to O'Donovan, I'd get him into the Cork setup ASAP and let him be adapting to the step up. He's done it at U20 level and is doing it at Sigerson level. You wont find too many forwards in the county as talented or as two footed as him. His ceiling is VERY high in my opinion.

If he's left stagnate at junior level for the next few years, it will be seismic loss to Cork football...

This is very good stuff😁

I would disagree though....There is good talent coming through in Barryroe. Maybe not enough to get out of junior anytime soon, but they are going to be seriously competitive over the next few years. That U21 Ibane team was very much dominated by Barryroe rather than Timoleague.

Back to O'Donovan, I'd get him into the Cork setup ASAP and let him be adapting to the step up. He's done it at U20 level and is doing it at Sigerson level. You wont find too many forwards in the county as talented or as two footed as him. His ceiling is VERY high in my opinion.

If he's left stagnate at junior level for the next few years, it will be seismic loss to Cork football...
Talk about an all merciful stretch.

How did the move out the road end up working out for a certain Ballinscarthy player ?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Thursday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼