Cork Footballers

Another thing we all know it if Damien Cahalane and Mark Keane played football and Jack Cahalane and Brian Hayes went to Hurling there would be no issue but because we are Cork and so up our own holes , the Logical conclusion is stuck in the bin so we have 3 Cahalanes, 2 who are not related to hurlers on the Cork team. We have Brian Hayes who would walk into a Cork half forward line on the hurling side playing Football (Apparently). Equally good Footballer. And then we have Mark Keane who would walk into CF team but Yerra KK and Co will chance him at Centre back, Half forward, Centre forward , Full Forward etc etc etc. You can't make this shit up. Meanwhile Hurling Snobs and Bogball merchants argue away. WE ARE CORK, fuck me.

We are a massive county in terms of players of both football and hurling. We have plenty players to be successful at both codes.

At minor and u20 level (and previously u21 level), we in some cases allow players to be on both the hurling and football panels. I think this is a mistake in terms of developing players for senior. A mistake, because
(a) it reduces the OVERALL number of players, across both codes, that we develop at that elite level in these age groups, AND
(b) it flahs out some dual youngsters, physically and mentally.

One might reasonably argue that disallowing dual at minor/u20 is inhibiting the development of a player in one code that is also very good at another code. This is true. However, allowing him to play dual is asking too much of him at an age where he hasn't learned enough to say NO, and is at the same time inhibiting the development of players less able than him in one of the codes (one other player will not make the panel, one will not make the team, some will make the team but have slightly lesser roles).

Besides the (probably more important) reasons to have underage intercounty teams, a main goal has to be to develop as many players as possible at that level.

So in Cork, football loses out a bit more than hurling because of this. As I mentioned before, I support the footballers more than I support the hurlers (I hope for the best for both, and I want both to win, but we all have our varied grá). It seems to me that we're failing to develop enough football-first youngsters 'cos we're giving their place to youngsters who are good enough to hurl and who'd prefer to hurl if forced to choose (and they will be forced when they reach the adult grade - and the very best of luck to them - we're all volunteers, at varying levels and to varying extents).

Last edited:
Pity he wasn’t told that 3/4 minutes earlier. Went for a very difficult free near the sideline when we were a point up and time almost up. Holding on to the ball would have made a lot more sense - Free dropped short, Clare came straight back up the field and equalised without a glove being laid on anyone. Game management- we have a lot to learn.

I would like a "Cork have some big lads" approach for the immediate future as I enjoyed the 2009's team elongated advantage. When Maguire comes back he could go to cf . He is a fantastic athlete and a great runner on the ball and could do serious damage. Hayes, who may be the most talented youngster to come into the team in a decade, into the half forward line, and then we need to find a midfield pairing from Walsh, Merrit, O'Callaghan, Hartnett, and Daniel O' Connell. Pick four scoring forwards and someone who can kick frees consistently and in my opinion we could be dangerous. I know very little about football as is evident from this post but ya know.

I would like a "Cork have some big lads" approach for the immediate future as I enjoyed the 2009's team elongated advantage. When Maguire comes back he could go to cf . He is a fantastic athlete and a great runner on the ball and could do serious damage. Hayes, who may be the most talented youngster to come into the team in a decade, into the half forward line, and then we need to find a midfield pairing from Walsh, Merrit, O'Callaghan, Hartnett, and Daniel O' Connell. Pick four scoring forwards and someone who can kick frees consistently and in my opinion we could be dangerous. I know very little about football as is evident from this post but ya know.
Not a bad effort all the same !!!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Blues Jam (Players Welcome)

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼