BOI Mobile Banking App

Thanks for that.

Looks like an IT issue. I'll try ringing them on Monday.

Meantime in Nigeria...

Ei9r.gif

I just got a badly worded text message on a BOI thread on my phone, it had a link to reactivate online access to my account which it claimed had been limited but I deleted the message because I'm too smart for them boyos.

Be warned folks.

I just got a badly worded text message on a BOI thread on my phone, it had a link to reactivate online access to my account which it claimed had been limited but I deleted the message because I'm too smart for them boyos.

Be warned folks.

Got the same last week. Changed account login data to be sure to be sure.

Be warned folks.

I had a chat with BOI about this last week. The text message I got was in the same text thread as messages i have got from the bank with purchase codes etc. so these scammers have managed to develop software that allows them to emulate messages into the BOI system, and they have obviously got the client details to do so.

I explain this to the lady on the end of the phone and she says 'I know, they're getting really good at this aren't they'. Its not her fault or job, but I felt like telling her that I pay my bank fees to fund them to employ people or consultants that have systems on their end to stop this kind of attack FFS. Its a serious breach of client security IMO

gobshites

I had a chat with BOI about this last week. The text message I got was in the same text thread as messages i have got from the bank with purchase codes etc. so these scammers have managed to develop software that allows them to emulate messages into the BOI system, and they have obviously got the client details to do so.

I explain this to the lady on the end of the phone and she says 'I know, they're getting really good at this aren't they'. Its not her fault or job, but I felt like telling her that I pay my bank fees to fund them to employ people or consultants that have systems on their end to stop this kind of attack FFS. Its a serious breach of client security IMO

gobshites

Yeah, it's very poor form on the part of the bank.

The text I got was poorly worded so I deleted it immediately.

I wouldn't trust any message I get from BOI now.

The scammers let themselves down by their poor command of English.

The text message I got was in the same text thread as messages i have got from the bank with purchase codes etc.

Yeah. Unfortunately, it's very straight forward to send text messages with any name as the sender.

With a service like with a service like esendex.com you can text people from an online interface or programmers can use their API to automate texts (for example from a hairdresser or dentist arranging an appointment) without needing a phone yourself.

If you word the sender's name to be the exact same as any other that's on your phone it will appear in the same conversation thread in your SMS app. If you have someone in your phone called "John Murphy" and I use a service like that it's likely it will appear in that thread in your phone making you think that's a text from John Murphy.

The bank can't really do anything about that except to not send you text messages and only communicate with you through their app like AIB.

I get texts as well from BoI scammers but I'm not with BoI. Scammers know an enormous amount of people have BOI accounts so if they send say 10,000 texts to a list of phone numbers are at least 10% will be to genuine BOI customers. That could cost them up to €500 to send the SMS messages but if they get 10 victims they could make a massive profit on that.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Love N' Dirt

Fred Zeppelins, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼