Batsh*t Crazy Green Party

It is not happening because it is not remotely financially viable and no Government or international investment bank would ever finance it.

See post#3,462.

This is like explaining a giant illegal techno rave on Good Friday in a recently vacated abbatoir to Mattie McGrath.
OK if this is what you want to do - fine.

Let me explain it using small words...........

Our exchequer would not be funding initial developments at all hence the financial viability is irrelevant.
We don't need an investment bank to fund it.
I've posted repeatedly we just need to follow the Norwegian model (which was the plan when the Corrib deal was struck). You cut deals on the initial developments such that the profits from the oil and gas produced are retained by the drilling company e.g. Shell in the case of Corrib, in exchange for the infrastructure. This is why, precisely why, the processing plant was built onshore and not offshore so as to enable us to use the infrastructure for all the future developments that now will never happen. Hence the JCB, protests etc etc in Mayo.
This is exactly how Statoil, now Equinor, started and the geology in the North Sea on the Norwegian coast extends down about 700m (from memory) or about 7 times the usual depth of the North Sea because it is part of the Norwegian Trench. The Porcupine basin depth starts at about 370m depth (from memory) and where the shelf drops off it goes to about 4000m depth.
The current deepest oil well in the world is more than 12km down. The technology is not the issue. The depth of the water is not the issue. The intention is the issue.
The Palaeontological Affairs Division of the Department of Energy have cores from the Porcupine that prove there are commercially viable deposits of oil and gas readily available to be extracted.

So my point remains, if Norway are producing 4 million barrels a day and will continue to do so until 2050 - why should we not do the same? if Saudi Arabia will continue to produce oil until 2050, why should we not do the same? If the Brits are continuing to produce oil and gas until 2050, why should we not do the same?
Are you really saying just because - in some quixotic tilt at global temperature reduction or to halt temperature increase which our abstinence will do nothing to prevent?

Our exchequer would not be funding initial developments at all hence the financial viability is irrelevant.
I've posted repeatedly we just need to follow the Norwegian model (which was the plan when the Corrib deal was struck). You cut deals on the initial developments such that the profits from the oil and gas produced are retained by the drilling company e.g. Shell in the case of Corrib, in exchange for the infrastructure. This is why, precisely why, the processing plant was built onshore and not offshore so as to enable us to use the infrastructure for all the future developments that now will never happen. Hence the JCB, protests etc etc in Mayo.
This is exactly how Statoil, now Equinor, started and the geology in the North Sea on the Norwegian coast extends down about 700m (from memory) or about 7 times the usual depth of the North Sea because it is part of the Norwegian Trench. The Porcupine basin depth starts at about 370m depth (from memory) and where the shelf drops off it goes to about 4000m depth.
The current deepest oil well in the world is more than 12km down. The technology is not the issue. The depth of the water is not the issue. The intention is the issue.
The Palaeontological Affairs Division of the Department of Energy have cores from the Porcupine that prove there are commercially viable deposits of oil and gas readily available to be extracted.

So my point remains, if Norway are producing 4 million barrels a day and will continue to do so until 2050 - why should we not do the same? if Saudi Arabia will continue to produce oil until 2050, why should we not do the same? If the Brits are continuing to produce oil and gas until 2050, why should we not do the same?
Are you really saying just because - in some quixotic tilt at global temperature reduction or to halt temperature increase which our abstinence will do nothing to prevent?

Jaysus Procna go easy on Statty. If you beat him any more you'll have to keep him :cool:

Jaysus Procna go easy on Statty. If you beat him any more you'll have to keep him :cool:
Fwiw, and to be abundantly clear - I have great time for him - this is not a personal spat at all.
I just happen to know a fair bit about this stuff. If Stacky or indeed Blue Jasmin could tell me or give me a reason why Ireland should be different to every other country in the world other than - temperature increase and global warming and climate change (which again to be clear must be aggressively addressed) - then I will happily change my mind.

If all this oil is there in abundance why arent the commercial operators extracting it?

There are no viable oil discoveries as yet,despite the huge sums been spent looking despite improved exploration and drilling technology?

The state left it to the oil companies.The Irish approach, given the very high risk that a given well may be unprofitable, is to sell the rights cheap, then tax any profits relatively heavily. It would cost 8-10 billion to set up a State energy company.

Ireland taxes the profits at approx. 45% - 55% and there is no real want to spend billions searching for oil and gas.

Under their existing licence agreements or why did the surrender them in the first place if it is as lucritive as you say?

The Irish positive strike rate is so much lower than Norway. There is no proof that there is significant oil or gas deposits off the coast of this country in any meaningful, sizeable or obtainable amounts only estimates at best.

Norway,Saudi & Mexico have track history and proven reserves etc.

Norway’s oil fields are massively larger than Ireland’s about 50 times the size and the Corrib gas field is small was just about viable.

We don't have any other commercially viable oil/gas resources as Kinsale gas is all used up now.

However the wind is there as is the hydro and solar power options, inter-connectors for nuclear energy and all at a fraction of the cost of setting up Hydrocarbon State Extraction (HSE) for about 10 billion black hole.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cork Pride Parade
Grand Parade, Cork

4th Aug 2024 @ 2:00 pm
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼