Anti social activity in the city.. ekk

Can honestly say that in my last three saunters home through town I've not seen a single garda. My mate and I were discussing this and said we'd keep a tally of how many we could spot in our roughly 20 minute walk, other than on Anglesea Street itself which we pass on the way home.

Not seen a garda checkpoint in quite a few weeks either.
There might be Gardai shortages, but surely it can't be so bad that they can't spare a few to be visible patrolling our City centre daily. Is there any other city you've been in around europe over the years that you wouldn't see one officer on duty? It is actually incredible.

On a sidenote, what I have seen is that blooming speed van, everywhere. I know that is a different matter to the gardai themselves though. It was hiding in behind worker's vehicles around the Dunkettle roundabout the day the new lanes opened. Never saw such sneaky shite.

I think the uprise in these antisocial incidents is as a result of fewer and fewer gardai on the beat, hell even gardai out and about in cars or on bikes.

I'm in town a couple of times a week (no not drinking before you ask) and the amount of undead hassling people is happening more and more. They pick their targets though, usually people physically smaller or who from their body language look easily intimidated and in less busy streets.

It's a crying shame that our streets are being taken over by these hordes of ne'erdowells, and worse still that the rank and file gardai seem unwilling/unable (delete as appropriate) to do anything about it. So much for our new Garda Commissioner promising more gardai on the street.

Time was though that a Garda's pay and conditions were such that they could afford a house and it was seen as a good permanent and pensionable job. That's no longer the case.
Saw one scumbag pissing into a bin on merchants quay last week at lunchtime, this fella is regularly begging on
the streets, A nasty piece of work, There was mention last week of many garda recruits quitting,

Mahon Point, Bishopstown Court, Blackpool, Wilton, Douglas shopping centres don’t appear to have the problem that the city centre has with zombies and drunks.

Maybe that’s because they have security guards constantly patrolling……

Mahon Point, Bishopstown Court, Blackpool, Wilton, Douglas shopping centres don’t appear to have the problem that the city centre has with zombies and drunks.

Maybe that’s because they have security guards constantly patrolling……

The fact that they're private property probably helps in that regard. They've a right to move scobes on - something the gardai have on public streets. Alas, the gardai need to be out and about to be proactive and nip potential bother in the bud rather than just viewing things on the cameras and reacting after serious incidents have already occurred.

The number of gardaí quitting the force early is at the highest level in at least five years.

Almost 400 officers have resigned since 2018, according to new figures.

In total, there are around 14,300 gardaí stationed throughout the country. Around 300 retire every year after serving 30 years' service.

A further 399 have resigned prematurely since 2018. Minister for Justice Helen McEntee said there were 77 early resignations in 2018, rising to 95 last year.”

So it seems we have more cops now than we did in 2014.

“As of the end of January 2021, there were 14,539 sworn Garda members and over 3,124 Garda staff. This represents a significant increase since the end of 2014, up from approximately 12,800 Gardaí and just over 2,000 Garda staff.”

The figure are slightly outdated and i’m not sure if that takes into account the cops that retire but thats approx 1739 more cops than 8 years ago.

It does seem that normal Cops on the beat are less visible than before .

It’s gotten worse in town and the problem is that there is nothing happening to stem this, so it will get even worse again in time. That’s the bigger problem.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Murphy & Declan Sinnott
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

23rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Indie/Folk Music

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼