Alan Bennett to Leeds ?

Yup, it could be happening

From Storyshams press release posted earlier (edit Snap)

Meanwhile Alan Bennett who is home on holiday after his Irish debut in America is wanted by Leeds boss Dennis Wise to go on a season-long loan to Elland Road. Bennett, who only joined Reading in January and was one of only three players to play the entire 180 minutes against Ecuador and Bolivia in the States is weighing up his options.
Reading boss Steve Coppell has approved the loan spell to get Bennett first-team football but the final decision rests with the player himself.

There is also an interview with him today in the paper

Both pieces are by Spillane

Oh ya never saw that, cheers lads.

Would love for it to happen myself, great to have somebody with a City connection at Leeds.

http://icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/0275rea...-name_page.html

Bennett set to fight for his place despite Leeds' interest

ALAN Bennett has vowed to fight for his place at Reading amid interest from Leeds United.

The 25-year-old centre-back is yet to make a first team appearance for the Royals since his £250,000 transfer from Cork City in January.

But that did not stop him from achieving the incredible feat of breaking into the Republic of Ireland national side last month before he had played for his club's first-team.

Leeds boss Dennis Wise sent scouts to keep track of Bennett last season when he was a mainstay of Brian McDermott's successful reserves side.

But Bennett, speaking exclusively to The Chronicle, insisted: "I've heard nothing from Reading. I only read about it the other day when I picked up a local paper over here in Cork.

"But it doesn't really interest me right now, although things may change by January if I am not playing.

"All I want is to give pre-season a really good lash and see where that takes me. If I left now, I would always regret not giving it a real go."

Bennett was one of several new faces in Steve Staunton's Ireland squad during their recent two-match tour of the USA.

Royals trio Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and Stephen Hunt were also included and Bennett made his international debut against Ecuador at the Giants Stadium when Doyle scored in a 1-1 draw. He also played in the 1-1 draw with Bolivia in Boston when Long found the net.

And Bennett pleaded: "All I want is a chance. I was thrilled to play for Ireland recently which was a step up in level for me again and I am confident in my ability.

"The experience of being with the national squad has definitely spurred me on to do even better.

"You never know what will happen in football and I'm patient enough to bide my time.

"When I joined Reading I knew it wasn't going to be easy and I never expected to walk into a side which was doing so well.

"But I'm determined to impress in pre-season and I'm looking forward to the tournament in South Korea.

"It will be a terrific experience playing against teams of real quality and I can only learn from it."

Reading face a severe test in their opening two Premiership games next season as they start at champions Manchester United before hosting runners-up Chelsea.

"It's a tough start but Reading surprised a lot of people last season and we're hoping that will continue," declared Bennett.

"Everyone expects the second season to be tougher as some clubs have found out and we're very wary of that.

"Saying that, playing against the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea is what we're here for and we'll give it our best shot.

"You get a real buzz when the fixtures come out and when you see all the Cork people buying tickets for Sunderland against Reading it really hits home.

"That's one game everyone here is looking forward to with the connection with Roy Keane and the Irish players we have at Reading."

http://icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/0275rea...-name_page.html

Bennett set to fight for his place despite Leeds' interest

ALAN Bennett has vowed to fight for his place at Reading amid interest from Leeds United.

The 25-year-old centre-back is yet to make a first team appearance for the Royals since his £250,000 transfer from Cork City in January.

But that did not stop him from achieving the incredible feat of breaking into the Republic of Ireland national side last month before he had played for his club's first-team.

Leeds boss Dennis Wise sent scouts to keep track of Bennett last season when he was a mainstay of Brian McDermott's successful reserves side.

But Bennett, speaking exclusively to The Chronicle, insisted: "I've heard nothing from Reading. I only read about it the other day when I picked up a local paper over here in Cork.

"But it doesn't really interest me right now, although things may change by January if I am not playing.

"All I want is to give pre-season a really good lash and see where that takes me. If I left now, I would always regret not giving it a real go."

Bennett was one of several new faces in Steve Staunton's Ireland squad during their recent two-match tour of the USA.

Royals trio Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and Stephen Hunt were also included and Bennett made his international debut against Ecuador at the Giants Stadium when Doyle scored in a 1-1 draw. He also played in the 1-1 draw with Bolivia in Boston when Long found the net.

And Bennett pleaded: "All I want is a chance. I was thrilled to play for Ireland recently which was a step up in level for me again and I am confident in my ability.

"The experience of being with the national squad has definitely spurred me on to do even better.

"You never know what will happen in football and I'm patient enough to bide my time.

"When I joined Reading I knew it wasn't going to be easy and I never expected to walk into a side which was doing so well.

"But I'm determined to impress in pre-season and I'm looking forward to the tournament in South Korea.

"It will be a terrific experience playing against teams of real quality and I can only learn from it."

Reading face a severe test in their opening two Premiership games next season as they start at champions Manchester United before hosting runners-up Chelsea.

"It's a tough start but Reading surprised a lot of people last season and we're hoping that will continue," declared Bennett.

"Everyone expects the second season to be tougher as some clubs have found out and we're very wary of that.

"Saying that, playing against the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea is what we're here for and we'll give it our best shot.

"You get a real buzz when the fixtures come out and when you see all the Cork people buying tickets for Sunderland against Reading it really hits home.

"That's one game everyone here is looking forward to with the connection with Roy Keane and the Irish players we have at Reading."

Good decision

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Brgeal

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼