2023 Senior A hurling

Just a few points from reading the thread. There was a rule broken. Clearly, but not intentionally. Does that make it right no.
IMO the ref was at fault the BR player came on and allowed no opportunity for the sub to even realise he was going off. He waved play on to the goalie. The linesman should have contacted the ref through their mics to state something was wrong.
Seeing people say this is going to open floodgates and throw players on is so stupid I can’t even comprehend. Makes it sound like bride were like run on their lad they won’t stop yeah.
There is no way that Blarney will be awarded the game. The free was clearly won watching it back without any influence from either of the players in question, it was goalie to O Flynn and free.
If they had been involved in even contesting the puck out I would there is fair grounds to award the game to Blarney. The fact that they weren’t I still think it would be harsh to take the victory from Bride. A fine would be more suitable to show the CCB did something about it.
Be interesting to see what comes of it.
Will be fiery in the boardroom and on the field for potential replay.
Putting 16 on for the last couple of mins has been happening for the last 40 years that I’ve seen anyway.. if you are on the sideline coaching you know this is something that has to be specifically watched.
The disincentive to doing it yourself is that it’s first if all it’s just outright cheating and secondly if you are caught you expect you’ll be thrown out of the competition.
Saturday nights error did seem a genuine one.

I respect you opinion, but I can honestly say I’ve never come across that and I’ve just finished playing for last 20odd years
It happens a lot, far more so by error than deliberate intent. But as another poster pointed out, normally there is pandemonium on the sideline and in the crowd and the play is held up until it’s sorted.
Somehow the officials didn’t hear the commotion on the sideline on Saturday night. The commentary team did.
Obviously this even happened in the biggest football club game of the year this year and somehow bizarrely it wasn’t picked up by the sidelines either.

Don't see that happening. It was a mistake, compounded by the officials not spotting it.
This I think is the nub of the controversy. How was the substitution made? Was it

a) bride rovers made the substitution without the knowledge/consent of the officials

b) Bride Rovers made the substitution with the consent of an official and the officials did not communicate between themselves that there were 16 players on the pitch for 2/3? or longer Minutes

c) at the time the substitution was made the referee was aware there were 16 bride rovers players on the pitch but continued the play regardless
They can order a replay but in practical terms how much of an impact did it have on the games result?
That’s a very very subjective question. Bride Rovers were a point down, had a puckout and had 16 players remain active on the pitch, and close enough to the play, for the duration of the subsequent play. How were Blarneys 14 outfield players supposed to mark Bride Rovers 15 outfield players?

The GAA rules are very clear and Bride broke them, either intentionally or unintentionally, and I’m casting no aspertions on bride here, they are a great club, but someone broke the rules, and as I asked above, who was it?

Rules are there for a reason, and they must be implemented by everyone involved, we cannot allow a situation where a team chasing the lead (or defending it for that matter) can keep 16 players on the field of play. There will be total anarchy if this goes unchecked

Last edited:
B. For about 30 seconds
Rover, you are in a sticky wicket here but you are as genuine a poster that is here, and you know this isn’t an anti bride bash, we all know something went wrong and it’s caused a shit storm

For those 30 seconds, what was the play? A bride puckout followed by a bride free?

Ultimately the ref is the man in control here.

When we are talking about a phase of play we are dealing in 2 to 3 seconds.

Had the referee seen the 16 players on the field of play he should have just blown his whistle and say stop stop we can’t play with 16 players on one team.

Ensure the player leaves the field of play use his common sense call the play back and restart with the puck out and finish out the game and we would have none of this mess.

But we do and for me a replay is the likely option

A puck out. Claimed in the air by Patrick o Flynn. & was fouled. Free. No involvement by either player involved in substitute
But to me them just being actively on the pitch took one or two Blarney players out of the equation too as they weren’t going to be just left free for a puckout. And that’s where I’d have an issue saying they had no involvement in the play.

To put it another way, if the substitution was made just after the free was awarded and the referee didn’t notice and stop the play until the free was scored I’d be inclined to agree with you

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼