2022 Intermediate A football

I’ve calmed down a bit I reckon since the Ballinora game to give some actual thoughts.

Thought they were solid enough in defence but sorely lacking in attack, quite a young team with a few of last years Premier 2 winning minor team present, lot carrying knocks, returning from stateside, etc., and the team just looked lethargic overall.

I’d be questioning the sideline and decision to play lads who clearly weren’t fully fit when there’s 32 players listed on the squad, there’s a team in there if it can be moulded right but it’s a few years away and you can tell, Barrs were men out there and towered over Ballinora, especially on kickouts which need serious work. Don’t know how many are near their senior squad but I imagine a handful might make appearances here or there and they’ll dwindle over the season.

Fitness was the ultimate difference, Barrs attacked and scored easier in the first half with a moderate breeze and then pulled their team back before Ballinora could break through their lines, seemed to use a sweeper too and Ballinora made a balls of combating it, lots and lots of sideways passing from both sides ultimately going nowhere. Barrs got 6 up before Ballinora scored, and Ballinora only got their second point around the 46th minute or so.

Hopefully a kick up the hole they need ahead of Dromtarrife in a few weeks time and I imagine we will see some serious changes, they were miles above Drom last season and, on paper at least, appear slightly stronger than then, but I wouldn’t be overly optimistic at the same time. Big two weeks of hurling ahead which should hopefully be more straightforward but will also eat into the chance to resolve the football issues.

Rant over, sorry lads.
So they didn't ask you to be manager, better luck next year

So they didn't ask you to be manager, better luck next year
I’d definitely be questioning the club if they let me in charge of the footballers anyway!

Ah it’s just frustrating really cause I know those lads are capable of so much more, everything just fell in on itself and went wrong tonight, as summed up by the total of 3 points, there’ll be better days to come no doubt.

I’ve calmed down a bit I reckon since the Ballinora game to give some actual thoughts.

Thought they were solid enough in defence but sorely lacking in attack, quite a young team with a few of last years Premier 2 winning minor team present, lot carrying knocks, returning from stateside, etc., and the team just looked lethargic overall.

I’d be questioning the sideline and decision to play lads who clearly weren’t fully fit when there’s 32 players listed on the squad, there’s a team in there if it can be moulded right but it’s a few years away and you can tell, Barrs were men out there and towered over Ballinora, especially on kickouts which need serious work. Don’t know how many are near their senior squad but I imagine a handful might make appearances here or there and they’ll dwindle over the season.

Fitness was the ultimate difference, Barrs attacked and scored easier in the first half with a moderate breeze and then pulled their team back before Ballinora could break through their lines, seemed to use a sweeper too and Ballinora made a balls of combating it, lots and lots of sideways passing from both sides ultimately going nowhere. Barrs got 6 up before Ballinora scored, and Ballinora only got their second point around the 46th minute or so.

Hopefully a kick up the hole they need ahead of Dromtarrife in a few weeks time and I imagine we will see some serious changes, they were miles above Drom last season and, on paper at least, appear slightly stronger than then, but I wouldn’t be overly optimistic at the same time. Big two weeks of hurling ahead which should hopefully be more straightforward but will also eat into the chance to resolve the football issues.

Rant over, sorry lads.
I feel your pain as any supporter would to see your team score only 3 points in a match. However....
ODE TO BEING A SELECTOR However bad you feel the selectors believe me feel the same and worse. For my part a few years ago I went along to our club AGM and sat their listening to the woes of our football teams poor performance in the championship. It came around then to find selectors for the next Campaign normally this has been sorted before the meeting and usually only needs a rubber stamp .But this particular year no one would touch the job.
Anyway various people were asked and cajoled but no one would take it up .... Then I was asked like a Rabbit in headlights I froze but I might have said yeah before I could get another word said there was a round of applause and I was duly sentenced to 2 years . The first person I told when I got home was my Good wife and she was NOT Impressed . It took me a week but I rounded up other victims thru bribery and favours owed
The following weekend I was in my local just before Christmas and a brother of a player who was totally pissed came up to me in a loud voice saying What do you know and other less complimentary things. Then I knew this was going to be tough.
Strange thing is We got a good draw and a met a fellow struggler and in a real arm wrestle of 2 mediocre teams We got thru to the next round . We got a very late fortuitous goal in the game and all of a sudden we were in the Q final and the parish were behind us again we were riding on a high Till.... it all came crashing down again as the eventual County champions gave us a beating .
That night in the local we had to endure some amount of abuse from experts that were absent for the AGM but were appearing like droves from the wood work.
THE JOYS OF BEING A SELECTOR

Have to agree with Pacman Ballinora were worse than bad and were lucky the Barrs didnt take their goal chances .It was an hour of my life i will never get back .The only winners were those who didnt pay to get in and there were plenty of them.

Fair points and well said, it’s a thankless job the majority of the time indeed and involves serious work and commitment, wouldn't begrudge anyone putting that time in.

Probably a bit harsh at times but I do have faith in those lads and management to turn things around and back them fully, abuse ain't on but some criticism is certainly warranted in some aspects at the same time. Better days to follow for sure!

Mitchelstown were well ahead of millstreet. Very one sided.

As for the ballinora game it was a very very poor standard. Just lacked that cutting edge. As pat said youngish team but neee to improve quickly to survive. Barr’s were no all stars either to be honest.

Gabriel’s beating Adrigole by 2 points. Seen on Twitter that they were down 8 points to 1 and scored two penalties. Makes me think Adrigole left it behind them?? Never the less good come back by Gabriel’s.

Mitchelstown were well ahead of millstreet. Very one sided.

As for the ballinora game it was a very very poor standard. Just lacked that cutting edge. As pat said youngish team but neee to improve quickly to survive. Barr’s were no all stars either to be honest.

Gabriel’s beating Adrigole by 2 points. Seen on Twitter that they were down 8 points to 1 and scored two penalties. Makes me think Adrigole left it behind them?? Never the less good come
Strong wind there in the first half the two penalties were goals only for pull downs, no black card shown either and the ref was one of the worst I have seen, he let crazy stuff go on from adrigole. If ballydesmond beat Gabriel’s that group gets into a 3 way battle

Strong wind there in the first half the two penalties were goals only for pull downs, no black card shown either and the ref was one of the worst I have seen, he let crazy stuff go on from adrigole. If ballydesmond beat Gabriel’s that group gets into a 3 way battle
Fair enough, my cousin from keakill was there and he told me today the ref was brutal but both teams were equally as rough so maybe a bit of bias from you?
He said Adrigole left it behind them big time so obviously a controversial game based off yere 2 opinions

Surprised at Milstreet, thought they’d have a bit more. Mitchelstown scored 2 goals just before half time, finished it as a contest really- O’Mahony with both.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

NewEra

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼