2020 - Your Highs And Lows.

Only high for me was getting 20weeks off work fully paid . Lows were my daughter getting covid 19 and not been able to see my family very often as I live in a different county.

High's
Saving a shit tonne of money from not going out/no social life and dropping weight from not drinking as much

Low
Family health issues
Lack of dating on the women scene - obviously no pubs/nightclubs/social events and tinder/bumble are useless now and a graveyard since nothing much to do

High's
Saving a shit tonne of money from not going out/no social life and dropping weight from not drinking as much

Low
Family health issues
Lack of dating on the women scene - obviously no pubs/nightclubs/social events and tinder/bumble are useless now and a graveyard since nothing much to do

My social life came to a halt a few years ago due to parenthood and I do not miss going out at the weekends and wasting a day with a hangover.

My social life came to a halt a few years ago due to parenthood and I do not miss going out at the weekends and wasting a day with a hangover.

had my first night out yesterday for first time in a long while and that describes my day - early 30's and losing my tolerance...its only handy as im saving for a mortgage deposit , but i do miss my nights out/something to look forward to a weekend whether its simple pints or doing something with the ladds

had my first night out yesterday for first time in a long while and that describes my day - early 30's and losing my tolerance...its only handy as im saving for a mortgage deposit , but i do miss my nights out/something to look forward to a weekend whether its simple pints or doing something with the ladds

Yeah, it's a balls to have your social life dry up like that, for those of us in the 40s age bracket that side of things is not a big deal.

Maybe it's time to look back at a tumultuous year and to consider your highs and lows from whatever standpoint, be it cultural, sporting, personal or current affairs related.

Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion's song WAP was both a high and a low for me tbphwy. :(

In news terms Trump's attempts to subvert democracy after losing the presidential election was a low, as is the continuing popularity of Bolsonaro in Brazil with his willful encouragement of the ongoing destruction of the Amazon.

Biden winning the election was the high point of the year for me internationally.

In Ireland the continuing rise of SF is a low and a cause for concern, the Greens being in government should be a positive but I don't feel they are making their mark in any significant way.

They are, Eamon sleeps in the Dail, that's conserving energy.

Highs
We survived! Both in terms of surviving thus far without anyone close to me contracting covid and also surviving both myself and mm working from home with 2 smallies and no school/childcare.
We had a holiday abroad in January, and a sunny week's holiday in Ireland in July.
I have been very heartened by the response of most people to the pandemic. Reinforced for me the notion that most people are fundamentally decent.
My work has been largely unaffected by covid.
Started a masters

Lows
Family member was diagnosed with cancer. Scared the everloving shit out of me, but he is doing ok now.
No gigs
No meet ups
Limited craic
Family abroad can't get home.

Highs - Managed to get a couple of long weekends away in West Cork and Kerry, my wife (not Irish) is finally settling here, friends and family remained COVID free.

Lows - Work was an absolute nightmare. Absolutely atrocious response to COVID from the industry as a whole. I've been frequently working 60 hour weeks to try and keep the show on the road.

That said, I'm currently working out my notice and will be starting a new job in a new industry in the new year, so every cloud and all that.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

An Audience With Liverpool Legends

Cork Opera House, Today @ 7:30pm

More events ▼