Cork Hurlers - Part 2

[By right, Ben Cunningham should be starting for us at this stage - he's a top class forward and better than Twomey, Harnedy etc. in that half forward line no question - but that just ain't happening is it]
WTF like?!
"By right" makes it sound like Cunningham was fully fit and available since January and just got overlooked.
He wasn't.
Playing him wasn't an option.
Such neat pronouncements, as if everything is linear.
He's fit now, playing him is an option but it comes at a high risk.
Even before injury he didn't look to me to be firing on all cylinders for UCC.

Exact same kind of thinking had some dopy pundits tipping Cork to beat Waterford by double digits.
And eegits believing them.
It’s not high risk playing Ben Cunningham. He can’t be any worse than Lehane or Harnedy last Sunday. Lehane playing at center forward stood on wing, collected loose ball and sent wide. No running at defenders, no nothing. Connolly had a bird’s eye view of wayward missiles flying overhead, which must have been frustrating!

Your second point makes zero sense hurly - don’t see any connection to paul Murphy’s dopey prediction ??

Re your first point, I totally disagree. BC (imo) is in the same bracket as Patrick Fitzgerald, Joyce, Screeny, Austin gleeson - lads with enough talent for senior IC championship at a young age. There’s prob only a handful of them around the country each year. Yes he’s been injured but he was fit last weekend and would have been worth a bench spot. Waterford had 2 lads younger than him playing, one of whom missed most of the league through injury.
First 2 points are dealing with the linear thinking that's involved in these conversations:

a) Ben Cunningham is a top class forward > Ben Cunningham should be starting for Cork

b) Waterford were brutal in the league > Cork to beat Waterford by double digits.

Neither viewpoint takes multiple other factors into consideration.

EDIT: the second proved to be ridiculously wide of the mark

Last edited:
Your second point makes zero sense hurly - don’t see any connection to paul Murphy’s dopey prediction ??

Re your first point, I totally disagree. BC (imo) is in the same bracket as Patrick Fitzgerald, Joyce, Screeny, Austin gleeson - lads with enough talent for senior IC championship at a young age. There’s prob only a handful of them around the country each year. Yes he’s been injured but he was fit last weekend and would have been worth a bench spot. Waterford had 2 lads younger than him playing, one of whom missed most of the league through injury.
If you saw BC playing with UCC against MIC in Fitzgibbon or Cork Bs against Galway Bs you wouldn't touch him, his confidence looked way off. Maybe that is why he was released back to his club, to get more game time and build back up in an unpressurised environment. And he would not have the frees - if hoggie is not playing AC, SB or DD would be on them, so more pressure on his general play.

If you saw BC playing with UCC against MIC in Fitzgibbon or Cork Bs against Galway Bs you wouldn't touch him, his confidence looked way off. Maybe that is why he was released back to his club, to get more game time and build back up in an unpressurised environment. And he would not have the frees - if hoggie is not playing AC, SB or DD would be on them, so more pressure on his general play.
Careful Cooltime, talking sense around here is a dangerous game!

Cork are like Man Utd, you can't rely on either team to get the right result

I didn't think Cork would have got cleaned out in the air by Waterfords Prendergast & Kiely. Winning / losing the aerial battle can go a long way in winning / losing the game. I think Clare will look at targeting us there.

Clare have a serious aerial threat with Peter Duggan, Shane O'Donnell is good in the air aswell.

I'd have both Downeys as the wing backs.

So that leaves Coleman, O'Connell & Fitzgibbon for 2 midfield spots.

It could also be some battle between Cleary & Connolly.

The Munster championship must be one of the most competitive championship in Irish sport now and that can only be a good thing for hurling.

Cork will kick start their Munster campaign with a convincing win on Sunday. I'm predicting this without knowing the team Pat Ryan puts out.
Pick the 'wrong' team and Clare will be close.
Pick the 'right' team and we win by 4+.
Either way we win.

Sh*t just got real!
GET IN!!!

Read 2 other posts and am not going to read back on any other buzz killing s*ite about OAPs, ffs.

HON THE REBELS!!!
^ Before the game.
Part of me would love to see HH&L on the team sheet tonight, just to stick to the ragers on here.
Apocalypse.
The only person on here that will get anything stuck to them is you and your delusion over the 3 biys, you were proved wrong last week with their 3 points from 11 shots and if PR is gullible enough to start them again, guaranteed you'll be proved wrong this sunday with the second no-show.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

30th Oct 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Starve Acre

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼