Cork Hurlers - Part 2

And you think continuing to play Lehane to name but one, is progressive? 2/3 last C’ship matches, his lineups have been utterly underwhelming and had a huge impact upon us losing 2 games. Not only is he ultra conservative in picking the team, he’s also very slow to make changes on the line. Not ruthless enough imo.

No, that I don't. It is however absurd to think that any management would pick what they wouldn't believe to be their strongest team. Lehane was obviously the man they felt had made the best case to be centre forward. How many put up their hands or made themselves undroppable ? That's our problem, not the management, we just don't have the quality of players. Hayes decent, Twomey decent. But both (so far) only decent and as of yet unproven. The league games while in general terms are the same sport, to compare them to the warm dry ground championship hurling game, it just can't be done.
Picking a conservative team first time out is hardly a crime, especially one good enough to win.
Right now we are poor, I'm not sure people get that. In the context of the Senior Hurling Championship we are a poor team. We would have said we were better than Waterford but last Sunday put paid to that. Are we better than Tipp ?

Excuse all the above rambling. FWIW I get your point, i truly do..... a raft of changes with the talent currently at our disposal won't get us any closer to Clare.

Looking forward to us destroying Clare now Sunday :)

I was at both games over the week-end
John Cleary had a plan that was working well until he panicked and moved Powter back as sweeper.
P Ryan on Sunday had imho no plan and panicked to late.

Plan to win
1.2 man Full forward line
2.Midfield 1 grafter and 1 Transistioner (non tackling, non contact)
3. Spare man working "between the lines" and "Channels" orchestrating high velocity quick touch
4. Match ups right ( make sure the wrong fella doesn't get roasted , we might to have to whip him off)
5. Kingston on the Mega loop 20 mins to go
The spare man may not be as relevant if the mid-field is beaten up like last Sunday, we could see more of this v Clare. One strong player is required there and TO'M fits that bill and the spare man should in turn benefit with his teamates.

Bad and all that we were last weekend I am despairing at some here saying pick players who have consistently proved over the last few years they are not up to starting a Munster championship game.

You need men with balls to take on big teams, we still pick lovely hurlers.

We wasted the league when we could have developed on last years 15 v Limerick when we finally saw us play as a team. Instead we dropped a young full back who was looking solid after 2 games never to be seen again, gave the new young goalie one token game never to be seen again, never came near settling on a midfield pairing and still haven’t, and consistently picked 3 elder statesmen in our foward line when we should have been giving game time to the younger generation

And the one positive of the league was we found a solid consistent defence and what do we do? Change the whole backline around for championship, dropping a young tough abrasive defender to accommodate a stylish hurler who played 20 minutes hurling this year

Last Sunday must be a huge wake up call for the management, similar to 2022 when we eventually abandoned the Harlem Globetrotters shite before the waterford game and just went for it.

We now have to see a ruthless streak running through the team and the management that I am yet to see. Otherwise the show is over

Last edited:
This year seems to be over already. We should now begin planning for 2025 which means calling ashore
our four elders who, lets face it, will not be in contention in 2025. We should throw caution to the wind and
select the best of the young fellas and blood them for our remaining games and have them a little better
prepared for 2025.

This year seems to be over already. We should now begin planning for 2025 which means calling ashore
our four elders who, lets face it, will not be in contention in 2025. We should throw caution to the wind and
select the best of the young fellas and blood them for our remaining games and have them a little better
prepared for 2025.
The year is not over, far from it. But it will be if we don’t beat Clare and we won’t beat them with last weeks team. We need to pick a team to win on Sunday, next year will take care of itself

No, that I don't. It is however absurd to think that any management would pick what they wouldn't believe to be their strongest team. Lehane was obviously the man they felt had made the best case to be centre forward. How many put up their hands or made themselves undroppable ? That's our problem, not the management, we just don't have the quality of players. Hayes decent, Twomey decent. But both (so far) only decent and as of yet unproven. The league games while in general terms are the same sport, to compare them to the warm dry ground championship hurling game, it just can't be done.
Picking a conservative team first time out is hardly a crime, especially one good enough to win.
Right now we are poor, I'm not sure people get that. In the context of the Senior Hurling Championship we are a poor team. We would have said we were better than Waterford but last Sunday put paid to that. Are we better than Tipp ?

Excuse all the above rambling. FWIW I get your point, i truly do..... a raft of changes with the talent currently at our disposal won't get us any closer to Clare.

Looking forward to us destroying Clare now Sunday :)
I remember in the recent past before Connolly’s return, several posters here opined that he is most regarded when he’s injured and not playing. We’ll, Connolly announced his comeback in a big way this year, and silenced the doubters. We have to progress young players and they are the future. A full forward line of ROF, Hayes and Connolly with JOC/Kingston to come on wouldn’t be bad, and Hayes does have potential if given the opportunity. If not, he should consider going back to footballers as like Alan Cadogan he could be warming subs bench for years to come. I don’t think Hoggy should start, Hayes would complement Connolly’s style much better and trouble Clare’s full back line. Half forward line of Dalton, Fitz, and Barrett would be better than last week. Midfield Coleman and TOM. Let’s see what Ryan does.

I’m fearful that Pat won’t drop all 3 old timers. I reckon at least one will survive and sadly possibly 2. Lehane is the most expendable and most likely to go - TOC could also be under pressure if Coleman and Fitzy are picked midfield( which I think they should). Dalton and Robbie must start and I’d go with Tim as well.

Don't know that we need to drop all three of the old-guard from playing completely tbh. But we certainly can't start with all three, or have all three on at the same time any more. I think the most that's in Hoggie is 40/45 hard minutes. No more than two together at any time and even at that it'd be praying rather than expecting things to go right

Still think that TOM and MC would be our best pairing in midfield.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pierce Turner
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Teddy Thompson

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼