Recent content by D'oriel

1. D

Expansion of Ballincollig

Does anyone have more information on this? Just a sippet in d'Echo: MORE than 4,000 new homes and 4,000 new jobs could be delivered for Ballincollig by 2021, according to the Ballincollig Business Association (BBA). The association has commissioned Colliers International – who delivered the...
  2. D

Could a robot do your job?

(ref. BBC1 show on now 'Could a robot do my job?') Mine is less process oriented and needs to work in a group with abilities to assess and reason. What about you?
  3. D

Writing your will

So, I've decided it's beyond time to write a will. I have no children, and own no property, so it could be just a massive waste of time, but there are certain things I'd like certain people to have. It does seem a little ridiculous to be so formal when I have nothing worth anything though...
  4. D

Journalist request

Friend of mine is seeking parents/guardians of children roughly aged 10-17 who had a relative in the First World War as part of a 1916 commemoration supplement in a newspaper. He can be contacted on reporterdarragh@gmail.com.
  5. D

Turning in to your parents

Signs and signals abound. Sitting at the kitchen table having baked and cleaned, waiting for the cake to rise while listening to Roy Orbison... that was a big indicator there. And I wasn't even thirty, like. How closely are you becoming your parents?
  6. D

York

Looking for somewhere nice but affordable to stay for a couple of nights in York in september. I've found some fabulous places in great locations, but just not affordable. We've never been so don't want to end up in the arse end of the city, and the city centre seems a bit steep...
  7. D

A Doctor's Sword: the story of Dr. Aidan MacCarthy

I can't believe I've never heard of this Corkman before. Mr D'or heard it being discussed on newstalk the other day and was telling me about it. After a google it turns out the whole scéal is the source of a documentary which seems to being going on release in the next few days. In a nutshell...
  8. D

Cyclists

Same laws. Many on here don't differentiate. Why does it matter why people cycle to work? Many cycle because it's faster; others because it's healthier. Many cyclists are idiots, some dangerous, and deserve fines. But they're still certainly in the minority. Some of here would have you...
  9. D

Yorkshire Dales

Update: Recommend pubs and things in the Dales. I've got sights on the list like Malvern Tarn, Malvern Cove, various hills and holes and waterfalls. Pubs, especially those to hide at lunchtime from the rain I'm expecting! At night we'll rely on the village a mile away so it's more for during...
  10. D

Linx tablet

I think I'm going to buy this. Any major 'AHHH, NO!' shout outs? Yes, it runs on windows 8, and yes, that's a bit of a shit. However, this is mainly for Surfing the Cyber Super Highway, along with tv and movie watching while travelling. At home I have a MacBook and overseas I'm...
  11. D

Cyclists

She's a bigger victory, nelly.
  12. D

Cyclists

Pepe keeps flying the flag for nasty, petty men everywhere.
  13. D

D'oriel's Thought for the Day

It's interesting* how some brand names grow to be the ubiquitous titulation for something in the wider market, a brand becoming a generic reference. Murkans are much more susceptible to this, but it's definitely a phenomenon. Many of us are far more likely to call vacuum cleaners 'hoovers' (I...
  14. D

British general election (the one with the poll, NME)

For those resident in Britain, cast your vote in the poll.
  15. D

Lyon

Next month I'll have some meetings in Lyon and as I haven't been I'm going to stay the weekend. The meetings and hotel will be a bit on the outskirts I think, but from Friday evening to Sunday I'd like to be in the older heart of the city. Recommendations please on the best sights and sites of...