Cyclists

Saw some lad getting creased off his bike yesterday evening - about 5 foot in front of me - completely his fault, but he somehow wasn't hurt

Horsing it along the footpath, headphones on so cant hear, car pulls out of 'blind' laneway between buildings just as he is crossing, and nails him - folding the wheels/bike in half horizontally, with yer man up on the bonnet.

I was only thinking afterwards that he would have nailed somebody pretty bad if it was a person rather than a car coming out of that laneway........hopefully it'll learn him a lesson.

I've always maintained that cyclists should be treated like pedestrians, and be allowed to go through lights, cross a path etc, once they give way and pay heed to pedestrians first.

Even if Dublin had the greatest cycle lane system in the world, you'd still have to have traffic lights at junctions - take the canal cycle path as an example - and people, including myself, will still break the lights because the main benefit of cycling (to me) is getting somewhere quickly - and once I do it safely, without pissing others off, then mission achieved.

However, a great degree of common sense would be needed for this as a rule - which generally, when applied to the world - does not work.

I expect that the guards will only hit people that are acting the maggot with these new fines, as they generally have been doing to date (few exceptions obviously)....Ive been pulled over a few times, but each time just been given a verbal warning about it - id imagine that it would have been different if i went flaking through a crowd of people crossing the road.

There is a distinction to be drawn between the lone commuting cyclist and the lycra brigade. The lycra brigade think they own the road and forget they are cyclists. Whereas the commuting cyclist tries to abide by the rules like most others and just wants to get where they are going. Was going the back road out of Carrigaline towards Ringaskiddy passed Waterpark, these 2 lycra guys out in the middle of the road having a conversation with at least 6 cars behind them. Jokeshop.

The lycra gowls are basically the cycling version of SUV mom.

You're dead right........

Occasionally I cycle with a guy who does feel like it's his right to do this. I mean, it is his right to do it, but it doesn't mean you have to do it. He does it because he's an asshole really.

it is true, I was on a winding secondary road the other day out the Oysterhaven direction and met a group of 3 lycralists and was stuck behind them for a while and then when the perfect opportunity came to overtake safely one of them actually moved out and completely blocked the opportunity. I was like lolwat I wasn't even raging, they musth've known I was there like and if you said anything you'd probably end up on youtube as the villian

The focus has increased on cyclists to reflect the numbers on the roads. Yes, cars will show a higher rate in fatalities and serious injuries in accidents but there are at least laws to adhere to. When some are applied to cyclists there's uproar as if they are being victimized. I don't get that.

Same laws.

There is a distinction to be drawn between the lone commuting cyclist and the lycra brigade. The lycra brigade think they own the road and forget they are cyclists. Whereas the commuting cyclist tries to abide by the rules like most others and just wants to get where they are going. Was going the back road out of Carrigaline towards Ringaskiddy passed Waterpark, these 2 lycra guys out in the middle of the road having a conversation with at least 6 cars behind them. Jokeshop.

Many on here don't differentiate.

True, some people cycle to work not out if choice but out of necessity.

Why does it matter why people cycle to work?
Many cycle because it's faster; others because it's healthier.

Many cyclists are idiots, some dangerous, and deserve fines. But they're still certainly in the minority.
Some of here would have you believe that they're annexing the highways!

These fines are just window dressing to please irate motorists. Like fines for not having a dog license and fines for leaving dog shit after you, you'll have to be very unlucky to get caught like literally bumping into a cop on a bike to get fined. A squad car is hardly going to pursue a small time quarry like a bicycle, esp if it ducks into a place where the car can't follow, what are they going to do? Call out the Garda helicopter to impose a €40 fine? LOL.

Part of the blame for normalising cycling on footpaths has to rest with the council planners, the cycle lanes blend and merge with footpaths, blurring the lines between the two making it difficult to tell where the cycle lane ends and footpath proper begins.

The minister for transport was on the radio though saying that fines would not be imposed for cycling on the footpath unless it was reckless or feckless or endangered pedestrians.

Here in Germany a lot of footpaths are split with a cycling lane and a pedestrian lane. Some footpaths beside busy roads have a sign that cyclists can use them but pedestrians have right of way.

Typical for Germany they have precise rules - children up to 8 have to cycle on the footpath, between 8 and 10 they can cycle on the street or footpath and after that they have to cycle on the street unless otherwise indicated.

Generally speaking cyclists here are seen as more akin to pedestrians than traffic and people tend to cycle upright rather than the horizontal lycra gopro hero-warriors you see around dublin.

Don't even start me on those cunts.

I've always maintained that cyclists should be treated like pedestrians, and be allowed to go through lights, cross a path etc, once they give way and pay heed to pedestrians first.

However, a great degree of common sense would be needed for this as a rule - which generally, when applied to the world - does not work.

I went through pedestrian lights on my bike in Germany after waiting for the lone pedestrian to finish crossing and got bustedby the cops. I got a fine and a point on my driving license. I tried to explain to them about the common sense but there are no words for that in German...

I went through pedestrian lights on my bike in Germany after waiting for the lone pedestrian to finish crossing and got bustedby the cops. I got a fine and a point on my driving license. I tried to explain to them about the common sense but there are no words for that in German...
The point on your license is a joke shop, how can that punishment be applied equally?

It's also possible here but almost never envoked

The point on your license is a joke shop, how can that punishment be applied equally?

It's also possible here but almost never envoked

Most cyclists also drive but I guess it's an effective deterrent rather than something that's applied that often. Cyclists here e.g. me, tend to break the letter of the law relatively frequently, but generally respect other road users. Similarly, most drivers also cycle occasionally so drive more sympathetically.

Decent enough cycle lane near work and fair enough when lads out for a pacey cycle don't use it but whenever I see arseholes bulging out of their lycra cycling at 0 mph clogging up the road that gets on my tits.

You were luckly that you werent sent east to a camp for re-education.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼