Cyclists

yes please

this morning some ol doll in a car coming towards me wanted to turn across the lane i was cycling on, looks up, sees me and turns straight across me since there was a handy break in the traffic... and then proceeds to nearly hit the kerb on her near side since she was staring out the drivers window so as not to make eye contact with me.. muppet

I think I saw a record for people breaking a red light as well yesterday - 1 truck and 3 cars through all in a line after the light had turned red! That particular junction is unreal for it though but its one of the busiest in the city so really dangerous

Whenever I visit a country or state for the first time, I pay close attention to whether or not the locals take heed of the driving laws. It is a great barometer of that society's relationship with the law in general.

But why should other road-users always have to defer to the stupidity, and in some cases deliberate recklessness to try make some point, of cycle-n@zis? If some muppet jaywalking runs out on a busy roadway and gets injured despite the motorists taking all reasonable and practical precautions then it's on the muppet not the motorist imho.

I'm a cyclist myself and I obey the rules of the road. If everybody obeys the rules of the road then the amount of accidents and injuries would diminish which would be good for all
Except, of course, many, many drivers are outright hostile to cyclists.
Yes, cyclists are hostile to drivers, but I'd challenge you to find a single example of a cyclist killing a driver in the UK & Ireland over the past few decades.

It is not a proportionate relationship. Not in any way, shape or form.
Some lad on a motorbike was tearing up the cycle lane this morning after the James Joyce Bridge.
Most poor drivers delude themselves into thinking they are grand road users.

Indeed they do.

And that is terrible.

But lets get a bit of perspective on it:
http://www.road-safety.org.uk/driving/advice-for-drivers/road-safety-statistics/
On Scotland’s roads in 2013 there were:

A total of 8,986 reported injury accidents in which 11,498 people were reported as being casualties;
1,844 people reported killed or seriously injured (172 of whom died);
6,961 casualties in cars, 89 of whom died;
1,747 pedestrian casualties, of whom 38 were killed;
773 motorcyclist casualties (of whom 23 were killed);
883 pedal cyclist casualties (of whom 13 were killed);
1,062 child casualties, 143 of whom were seriously injured (9 of them died);
464 child pedestrian casualties – 92 were seriously injured (5 died).

So yes, the occasional fatality does happen. But the scale is miniscule in the overall bigger picture.

Ah Unicyclist? Jesus wept!

Sad story from London also about the 50 year old woman killed in an accident involving a van, car and lorry. Sounds like she was collateral damage.

Pepe keeps flying the flag for tasty, pretty men everywhere.

fixed your post
icon14.gif

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Danny O Leary

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼