Cork Hurlers - Part 2

For once, his comment wasn't irrelevant. You asked (playing devil's advocate) whether Walsh Park shouldn't be used for Munster championship games due to its small capacity. But in a round robin where every other county gets some home advantage, it's not fair to deny that to Waterford. I think that consideration overrides the Munster Council's loss of income (which, let's face it, is unlikely to be enormous in any case).
There would be an extra 10k in attendance if played elsewhere.

He's a WUM and can't reply in a civil manner so I replied accordingly. I won't be entertaining him again.

I think the 15k Cork and Waterford fans (€375k x 2 games depending on opposition) who miss out is the main issue...I'm not so worried about the Munster council itself although the lost revenue might impact on grants clubs get later? But that's a separate topic tbf.

The attendance at Cork vs Waterford in the Pairc was about 30k I'd guess....its a big step down for this year.

If the game was in Thurles you'd get a similar crowd imo.

Saying that Waterford are certainly entitled to home advantage but its worth noting the impact that has on attendances at games and finances which ultimately will be trickling down to clubs.
Did you apply to your club for a ticket?
In a round Robin tournament , would you give up home advantage?

FFS.

R&B I would play Coleman ( he is back full contact training for 2-3 weeks) midfield with Tommy . Heres why. Both are very good and adaptable tactically where you could drop one back to sweep especially with the way Waterford set up and then have Barrett come out to the middle or even occupy the sweeper if we are brave enough. Both are not bad in rucks and can distribute the ball well. If we play Mark half back I just worry about the likes of Malone or Fitzgerald from Clare or the likes of Hegarty Morrisey with Limerick targeting Mark . He is simply too good a hurler not to start for us and I reckon he could thrive in midfield. Midfield is so different now it’s barely a scoring position anymore ( bar a few players) . Will O Donoghue even O Donovan are almost programmed to pass before shooting but Mark and Tommy can score. TOM has the size but his swing is too big imo for midfield and he can’t operate in tight space and is a forward imo. I think both Downeys will start at 7 and 4 with Damo 3 and SOD 2 . I am and just my opinion not sold on Millerick as a half back and I don’t understand why O Leary has not been tried at 5 yet but I think Millerick will get the call. This will sound harsh but I would have Twomey Darragh and Dalton in the half forward line with Hayes Connolly and Barrett inside. Yeah that’s no Hoggy Harnedy or Lehane starting but it’s all about finishing a game now and then we have Robbie also. That’s good weapons to be bringing on imo.
fin, I agree on Mark and Tommy being a good midfield partnership . Even having one of them midfield also gives us the option of them dropping back as the spare man so Joycey isn’t wasted in that role.

I’m not sure Mark will start midfield against waterford but from what I’m hearing he could well start but not necessarily wing back. Like you I’d be very concerned about him marking the likes of David Fitz or Gearoid Hegarty down the tracks

I don’t agree on Tim not being a good midfield option though as he has the physical attributes to dominate the middle but I do agree his striking needs to be tidied up to play there, it’s nothing a bit of good coaching wouldn’t fix. However, like you, to me his best position is half foward. But because of his flexibility to play in different positions I think the selectors are now viewing him as a vital impact sub

As championship draws closer the more im inclined to think Conor Lehane will start center foward. I’d be concerned about Conor’s ability to mix it with the waterford lads but there’s no doubting his hurling smarts to play that role

The full foward line will be very interesting, Connolly will start as one of the two inside fowards but who plays with him? You’ve gone Brian Hayes and I can see why but experience is going to be crucial in what will be a cauldron so I would just about plump for Hoggie ahead of him. Brian could be very important coming on though

Hopefully Robbie, if ready, will get some game time too. Down the line himself and Connolly inside could be a lethal combination

Last edited:
Disappointing that Shane Kingston has picked up an injury but at least it doesn't seem as if he will miss all of the games in Munster because of it, although it is better to err on the side of caution with hamstring injuries.
On a positive note, as mentioned by Shane, this creates an opportunity for someone else and I don't think I have ever seen a stronger Cork squad when you are gone past the first 18-20 players. Even more hopeful is that these are young players getting better and stronger all the time.

I think most of us would have a similar team in mind based on what we have seen so far this year. I think that the would be as many as thirteen of the same players in most peoples team which does show some stability and that is a good thing.

However, I would caution us all that the team will probably be picked on form and fitness over the last three to four weeks up to championship and when you consider that Mark Coleman and ROF may also be in the mix then the team becomes a little more uncertain.

I THINK that if asked to pick the team today , I would pick.

PC
ED DC SOD
GM CJ RD

MC TOC

DD DF ST
ROF AC SB

However, there are probably half a dozen players that could be switched in or out which would not weaken that team at all.
Obviously, this depends on fitness and availability.

I'm more interested to see if Ryan &* Co are more ruthless with changes and subs this year

We were badly caught out there last year

Painfully slow to make positional switches and subs

The decision to return TOC in Ennis is still baffling and was the losing of the game

Disappointing that Shane Kingston has picked up an injury but at least it doesn't seem as if he will miss all of the games in Munster because of it, although it is better to err on the side of caution with hamstring injuries.
On a positive note, as mentioned by Shane, this creates an opportunity for someone else and I don't think I have ever seen a stronger Cork squad when you are gone past the first 18-20 players. Even more hopeful is that these are young players getting better and stronger all the time.

I think most of us would have a similar team in mind based on what we have seen so far this year. I think that the would be as many as thirteen of the same players in most peoples team which does show some stability and that is a good thing.

However, I would caution us all that the team will probably be picked on form and fitness over the last three to four weeks up to championship and when you consider that Mark Coleman and ROF may also be in the mix then the team becomes a little more uncertain.

I THINK that if asked to pick the team today , I would pick.

PC
ED DC SOD
GM CJ RD

MC TOC

DD DF ST
ROF AC SB

However, there are probably half a dozen players that could be switched in or out which would not weaken that team at all.
Obviously, this depends on fitness and availability.
That is the starting team I think we will end up with towards the end of the Munster Championship with Tim O Mahony possibly coming in for Tommy O Connell

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Corner House, Coburg St.

5th Jun 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼