Cork Hurlers - Part 2

None of this commentary serves any purpose.
It's a thread on a satirical forum. It's akin to a pub discussion
I don't give a fuck what you'll continue to think.
You never answered the question by the way.
Not akin to a pub discussion unless you have the kind of pub discussions that you stream to the public on a live feed.
This is a public space and unbelievably, people read this sh**:p
Consequently it is the kind of personal neggy sh*te that seeps out of here and spreads.

SOD midfield, granted his strength would be a big plus there. Have you ever seen him play midfield? I know he plays centre forward for his club.
I wouldn't mind seeing him tried there. Thought when he found himself out there last weekend at one stage he ended up talking a fine score. He's strong on carrying the ball, might be a good man to carry ball and pop a pass to the scorers like Fitzgibbon, Lehane, harnedy, Robbie Flynn or similar lads who'll be the main shooters

I have read most of the posts on here since last Sunday and to be honest I agree with relatively little of what has been said.

From the suggestion that because Ciaran Joyce was ready for inter county championship that others would be too to the suggestion that because Gerald Mac was ready as a teenager over fifty year ago that others may be even though it is barely recognisable as the same sport and the body shape and size of players has changed enormously.

The introduction last week of Michael Mullins last Sunday shows how much physical development is needed for powerful under 20 players before they are ready for senior.
Just a few years ago the 2023 under 20 players would be contcentating on under age hurling again in 2024 at under 21 level.

Regarding the 2024 senior hurling championship team I think it will be only at the end of the league and with Fitzgibbon cup gone that we will see the core of the championship team develop.

I do think however that PR and his management team have already most of their 2024 team in their collective mind, form and injuries allowing. Otherwise they will have learned very little from last year.
I think if you want to know the template for what it will be then go back to the last championship game at the gaelic grounds.

There are three players back from injury and a couple of younger players that will be given their chance to show they are ready.

I think that Collins will be our goalkeeper in 2024.
I think that Cahalane, Millerick, O Donoghue, Joyce and Downey are likely to start in the backs.
I think Dalton,if fit, Barrett, ROF, Horgan,Connolly and Harnedy , Fitzgibbon(maybe) are all likely starters and a huge challenge for younger players to get past.

Midfield was not settled last year so I have no thoughts on those likely to start but we know the contenders .

I haven't mentioned Mark Coleman because he didn't play last season there is no clue what management have in mind for him and of course Dara Fitzgibbon could easily start in midfield again as could TOM , TOC, B Roche, Ethan Twomey or Luke Meade.

I think that E Roche , Sean Twomey are probably the two younger players that may push hardest for inclusion.

I suppose I would also be curious to see if Daire O Leary is getting back to the level he played at when under age and can Robbie Cotter transfer club form to the inter county scene, he certainly looked physically strong enough when he came on last Sunday.

So , I think change from last year will be minimal, the structure of the preferred team already known.
Young players like Twomey, Roches, TOC and others have to show they are better what was their last year.
This is a positive thing as the better the young players joining the group are then that raises the standard for everyone.

The challenge then falls back to management to get team selection and tactics right. They are probably trying some new things this year and we must allow them the space to do this.

We can't be calling for Cork not to trying to slavishly copy what other counties are doing and then complain when they do something new.

I wouldn't mind seeing him tried there. Thought when he found himself out there last weekend at one stage he ended up talking a fine score. He's strong on carrying the ball, might be a good man to carry ball and pop a pass to the scorers like Fitzgibbon, Lehane, harnedy, Robbie Flynn or similar lads who'll be the main shooters
All valid points, we badly need a physical player midfield, who can mix it with the Will O'Donoghues and win dirty ball. I was hoping TOM might be that player.

Assuming Fitz plays in the half forward line, all our midfielders TOC, BR, LM, all decent but lightweight.

I have read most of the posts on here since last Sunday and to be honest I agree with relatively little of what has been said.

From the suggestion that because Ciaran Joyce was ready for inter county championship that others would be too to the suggestion that because Gerald Mac was ready as a teenager over fifty year ago that others may be even though it is barely recognisable as the same sport and the body shape and size of players has changed enormously.

The introduction last week of Michael Mullins last Sunday shows how much physical development is needed for powerful under 20 players before they are ready for senior.
Just a few years ago the 2023 under 20 players would be contcentating on under age hurling again in 2024 at under 21 level.

Regarding the 2024 senior hurling championship team I think it will be only at the end of the league and with Fitzgibbon cup gone that we will see the core of the championship team develop.

I do think however that PR and his management team have already most of their 2024 team in their collective mind, form and injuries allowing. Otherwise they will have learned very little from last year.
I think if you want to know the template for what it will be then go back to the last championship game at the gaelic grounds.

There are three players back from injury and a couple of younger players that will be given their chance to show they are ready.

I think that Cahalane, Millerick, O Donoghue, Joyce and Downey are likely to start in the backs.
I think Dalton,if fit, Barrett, ROF, Horgan,Connolly and Harnedy , Fitzgibbon(maybe) are all likely starters and a huge challenge for younger players to get past.

Midfield was not settled last year so I have no thoughts on those likely to start but we know the contenders .

I haven't mentioned Mark Coleman because he didn't play last season there is no clue what management have in mind for him and of course Dara Fitzgibbon could easily start in midfield again as could TOM , TOC, B Roche, Ethan Twomey or Luke Meade.

I think that E Roche , Sean Twomey are probably the two younger players that may push hardest for inclusion.

I suppose I would also be curious to see if Daire O Leary is getting back to the level he played at when under age and can Robbie Cotter transfer club form to the inter county scene, he certainly looked physically strong enough when he came on last Sunday.

So , I think change from last year will be minimal, the structure of the preferred team already known.
Young players like Twomey, Roches, TOC and others have to show they are better what was their last year.
This is a positive thing as the better the young players joining the group are then that raises the standard for everyone.

The challenge then falls back to management to get team selection and tactics right. They are probably trying some new things this year and we must allow them the space to do this.

We can't be calling for Cork not to trying to slavishly copy what other counties are doing and then complain when they do something new.
Decent List . I would add Ben Cunningham and Conor O C and go with this

Saunderson/ Collins

O Callaghan Cahalane o Donoghue

Downey Joyce Millerick

Barrett Fitzgibbon

Dalton (O Mahony) Harnedy Cunningham

Horgan Connolly O Flynn

Cork hurling team named to play Kilkenny this Saturday night:

1.Patrick Collins, Ballinhassig
2.Eoin Downey, Glen Rovers
3.Eoin Roche ,Bride Rovers
4.Sean O’Donoghue, Inniscarra (capt)
5.Tim O’Mahony, Newtownshandrum
6.Niall O’Leary, Castlelyons
7.Rob Downey, Glen Rovers
8.Tommy O’Connell, Midleton
9.Conor O’Callaghan, Dromtarriffe
10.Luke Meade, Newcestown
11.Conor Lehane ,Midleton
12.Sean Twomey, Courcey Rovers
13.Robbie O Flynn ,Erin’s Own
14.Patrick Horgan ,Glen Rovers
15.Shane Kingston, Douglas.

16.Brion Saunderson ,Midleton
17 Cathal Mc Carthy, Sarsfields
18.Ger Mellerick, Fr O’Neills
19.Daire O Leary, Watergrasshill
20.Mark Colman,Blarney
21.Ethan Twomey, St Finbarrs
22.Brian Roche, Bride Rovers
23.Eoin Carey, Kilworth
24.Shane Barrett, Blarney
25.Jack O’Connor, Sarsfields
26.Robbie Cotter, Blackrock

Sound post.
Looks like they are trying various combinations in MF.
O'Connell and O'Callaghan named there for the weekend.
No sign of Darragh Fitz though.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

8th Jun 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Toucan

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼