Cork u20 Hurling 2023

Don't worry, they will step in now that Cork are getting physical. It'll be the Nash penalty all over again.
SNIP
Some of this phenomenon is due to bad coaching. There is more skill in timing a shoulder than many seem to realise. It's more about having his body bounce/move into your uncoming shoulder, than it is about just going hell for leather to clean him out. If you can hit a guy just right, it takes less force than you'd think to knock him down. His being just off balance when he hits you, does half the work. If Cork are going down this road, you'd hope the coaching will improve.

But, excepting that one error in judgement, Kingston did a great job, has a big future, and deserves a lot of credit.

See the way Downey lined his man up and poleaxed him fair and square with a great shoulder.

You're dead right about the timing of the shoulder. If the furthest foot from the shoulder is the only one on the ground the recipient gets knocked down, if it's the near foot on the ground he can react by putting the other one down and he doesn't fall. Timing is critical and a lighter shoulder can put him down when a heavier one mightn't

Hayes was very prominent all through R&B - would have been another classic Kyle Hayes goal if he didn’t pass to Gillane who missed a sitter. He was distributing great ball into Gillane and Flanagan.

Roche was hooked after just after half time (37th minute) iirc - and Hayes coninued to dominate

No shame in saying he struggled against KH.
I don't think that is correct tbh.
Nobody is going to keep a player like Hayes out of the game completely but his influence in the first half was largely nullified by Roche.

Have been watching Kingston play with the club across both codes for years, and whilst he’s physical, I can’t ever recall even seeing him get booked.

One mistimed tackle (which was absolutely a red as everyone will agree) and suddenly him and Cork are violent thugs across the board.

Yes the reffing of games needs looking at across the board and it’s obviously hard to implement certain things given the pace, but some of the online reaction to this specific game has been absolutely mental.
No harm if we get a reputation for being tough.
😀

No harm if we get a reputation for being tough.
😀

Or even just a team you can't take liberties with.

Every successful team I can think of in hurling, football, soccer, rugby all had guys you wouldn't mess with - "sorter outers" if you will.

If guys playing against Cork are now going to have second thoughts about skutching our players then that can only be a good thing, because for years Cork hurlers were seen as a team that didn't have the belly for it. Thankfully that tag seems to be disappearing not only underage but in the senior team too.

I hope our teams can take inspiration from recently departed Teddy Mac RIP - "Not a backward step!"

To win All Irelands teams need to be ruthless and aggressive. Offaly will learn from it and come back bigger and tougher. That is sport. If a player didn’t pull down a man and left him walk in for goal we’d kill him. Oh wait cork teams did that for years at senior level and we got nowhere for it. Offaly need to take it onboard themselves. They could learn a lot looking at Mullins running through their defence untouched. As for putting Downey on Screeney again I still laugh. Downey on a small running machine and a guy thought that would work. Darragh Sull sorted that issue and it was silly of management to not have Sull marking from the first throw in. Great to see cork with players of character and bite.

People criticising Downey for pulling down the Offaly fella who was through on goal is laughable. Do they expect him to just let him score without trying to stop him. Downey did the right thing and got his yellow. If the black card rule was in place he would’ve got it deservedly, however the rule isn’t in place for u20. Not his fault.
I was delighted when he pulled him down, actually turned and said that its about time a Cork team got down and dirty instead of welcoming a fella to a clean strike on goal as we generally would have for the last 15 years. Take him out, take the card and the 2 point swing with it, job done

I was delighted when he pulled him down, actually turned and said that its about time a Cork team got down and dirty instead of welcoming a fella to a clean strike on goal as we generally would have for the last 15 years. Take him out, take the card and the 2 point swing with it, job done
I remember galway getting a goal against us a few years ago in croke park after less than a minute, They
were allowed walk right through the middle unchallenged,

Except the ref was really slow dishing out cards so it worked in spades. The issue i
My God tan but you are one onerous individual, no one and I mean no one was going to stop mullins once he set off on that run, whether by fair means or foul. And as regards your comment about the win would have been so much better, rubbish couldn't have been any better. We could not be more pleased with this win, with this group of lads and with the way they went about their business, get used to it tan
You can fire abuse about all you like and behave like a spoiled toddler but the facts are there.
Offaly broke through cork rugby tackled
When Mullins breaks through the Offaly number 6(red helmet left handed hurler) has 3 choices
1 shoulder to the chest
2 rugby tackle
3 attempt to dispossess

He does the latter with zero conviction.
So the contention that Offaly would do the same just isn't true.

He had a clear opportunity to take Mullins out and didn't.

Now you can cry and whinge about it as much as you like but cork stepped over the line repeatedly in the game and you have said above that you are thrilled about the way they won.

That's a completely valid honest position to take.
There is a hardness about this cork team that could serve them well.

What you can't have is for everyone else who saw the same game agreeing with you that the ref was right.
Kingston should have been yellow carded for the first foul on screeney and gone after the penalty
Howell should have been yellow carded after the 2nd deliberate foul on screeney.
It was weak refereeing.

The sending off would have completely changed the game because it would either have taken away the cover on screeney or given Offaly 6 on 4 at the back.

Now toddle off and watch Mullins goal and explain again where the 6 had no chance to take him out
Child

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Ar House Ar Fad

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼