The Action Plan for Housing.

So because there's a homeless crisis just let landlords charge extortionate rents and have no inspections at all? Not like it's a shock to landlords that there are inspections. Any landlord that has a house up to scratch has nothing to worry about.
Read my original post ya dope.

Do you really want desperate people who have issues getting a basic roof over their heads be at the mercy of unscrupulous landlords?

No checks or standards?
Read my original post before jumping in. I said the dangerous ones of course have to be sorted. A friend of mine was living in a house for 10 years with her 2 daughters. The house was old but grand, probably needed a a bit of work alright but nothing major. The landlord owns the house with his two sisters, it was their parents. He got spooked and they decided to sell. My friend and her daughters ended up in a hotel room for a couple of months before eventually getting a place in the middle of nowhere. Their lives have been turned upside down. These are real people and this is replicated all over the country. People on here can rant away but ye haven't a fucking clue. Shower of muppets.

Read my original post before jumping in. I said the dangerous ones of course have to be sorted. A friend of mine was living in a house for 10 years with her 2 daughters. The house was old but grand, probably needed a a bit of work alright but nothing major. The landlord owns the house with his two sisters, it was their parents. He got spooked and they decided to sell. My friend and her daughters ended up in a hotel room for a couple of months before eventually getting a place in the middle of nowhere. Their lives have been turned upside down. These are real people and this is replicated all over the country. People on here can rant away but ye haven't a fucking clue. Shower of muppets.
How would we know the story of your "friend" & her kids?

You set a very low bar.

Mould can be "dangerous".

A gas boiler not serviced can be "dangerous".

A poorly insulated house can be "dangerous".

Desperate people spending huge proportions of their meagre income on heating just trying to stay warm.

Another reason landlords are selling up is that they cannot be bothered to upgrade their houses even with grants as students move into large modern student apartments near colleges.

Last edited:

There has to be a standard when it comes to accomodation.
To check and enforce this standard you need to do inspections.
You can't eradicate this practice because of a fear that landlords will just decide to sell instead of comply.
That would be like saying that businesses shouldn't need to have insurance because people will loose their jobs if the business owner decides to shut up shop rather than pay the premium.

I'm sorry your friend had a rough time but what if this "old but grand" house they were living in was responsible for her kids developing a respiratory illness due to mould or damp or they were injured or worse because of a fire due to shoddy electrics?

Standards and inspections to ensure compliance of them are an absolute non negotiable necessity.
A housing crisis of any description doesn't and shouldn't change that.

How would we know the story of your "friend" & her kids?
Everyone knows you're a wank
There has to be a standard when it comes to accomodation.
To check and enforce this standard you need to do inspections.
You can't eradicate this practice because of a fear that landlords will just decide to sell instead of comply.
That would be like saying that businesses shouldn't need to have insurance because people will loose their jobs if the business owner decides to shut up shop rather than pay the premium.

I'm sorry your friend had a rough time but what if this "old but grand" house they were living in was responsible for her kids developing a respiratory illness due to mould or damp or they were injured or worse because of a fire due to shoddy electrics?

Standards and inspections to ensure compliance of them are an absolute non negotiable necessity.
A housing crisis of any description doesn't and shouldn't change that.
There was no mould, the house was fine.Tell her kids and all the other kids that are affected by this that living in a hotel is better.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼